Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Yaw drift
123Next >
17279 96 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daishi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1106325 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi,
my mavic sometimes rotates slightly by itself. Or at least is looks like it on the video:

When I look at the mavic from the outside I can´t see it rotating, so maybe it´s the gimbal slowly drifting to the side?

I already did a compass calibration, an IMU calibration and also calibrated the remote control and did the automatic gimbal calibration.

Do you have any idea what else I could try? Or is this just normal? Other than this slight rotation that only happens sometimes the Mavic flies great!

2017-2-19
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

It should not rotate for sure, are the values for all sensors in "pair"?
2017-2-19
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

They have all pretty short green bars in the "excellent" range:   FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Compass1 seems to be slightly different than Compass2, but I am inside right now, so the compass values could be off in this screenshot.
FullSizeRender.jpg
2017-2-19
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

daishi Posted at 2017-2-19 09:27
They have all pretty short green bars in the "excellent" range:  [view_image]

Compass1 seems to be slightly different than Compass2, but I am inside right now, so the compass values could be off in this screenshot.

That looks good, really strange behavior there was a similar thread about same problem earlier today here, can't find it now but something is wrong, what mode are you using?
2017-2-19
Use props
The Rev
Captain
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United States

Try recalibrating the controler
2017-2-19
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks for your help guys!

I am using mode 2.
Here is a picture of the remote controller calibration screen: FullSizeRender 3.jpg

It looks like everything is OK, it doesn´t sense any input when I am not touching the sticks.
I will try calibrating the remote again, but I doubt it will have any effect.
2017-2-19
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

I just realized you probably asked for the flight mode and not the mode of the remote...
This was recorded in normal GPS mode. I also tried it in cinema mode and it also drifts.
2017-2-19
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

daishi Posted at 2017-2-19 10:43
I just realized you probably asked for the flight mode and not the mode of the remote...
This was recorded in normal GPS mode. I also tried it in cinema mode and it also drifts.

Yes you are correct about the mode, Cinema mode is a little special, had a toilet bowl with mine yesterday or the day before so I personally don't trust cinematic mode, but that is an other story. I had a complaint (error) related to my RC calibration just before that and did a calibration and not any problems with the RC after that.

I guess you have enough satellites, there is a "magic" number I guess.
Here is the link to Cinematic mode

http://forum.dji.com/thread-85694-1-1.html

2017-2-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

I'm gonna say that this is unfortunately normal.  No matter how much damn calibrating you do & how well you do it will not help.  It absolutely prefers to do this yawing right, even if you just manually yawed left.  It will still "settle" to the right like this & sometimes keep going.  Synchronous gimbal doesn't make a difference, either.
2017-2-19
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

Mine does it ever so slightly sometimes
2017-2-19
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ok, sounds like it is normal then and it is not a real problem to counteract the rotation by yawing slightly in the opposite direction.
I just thought it is a little weird as the Mavic has a compass and should know the direction it is facing.

Thanks
2017-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

daishi Posted at 2017-2-19 13:47
Ok, sounds like it is normal then and it is not a real problem to counteract the rotation by yawing slightly in the opposite direction.
I just thought it is a little weird as the Mavic has a compass and should know the direction it is facing.

Drifting like that is usually caused by 2 things wind or IMU, are you still having same problem at low altitude,
It's the responsibility of the IMU to correct this type of thing happening, if for any reason you didn't properly calibrate your IMU then this can be a result of that.
2017-2-19
Use props
Njw83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 89767 ft
United Kingdom

Mine also does this. Will try an IMU reset tomorrow.
2017-2-19
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

It seems to be independent of the height. It also happens sometimes when the Mavic is just 5 m above the ground.
I actually did an IMU calibration on a completely level surface (adjusted with a spirit level) after I first saw the drift. The video was the first flight after calibration.

Maybe something went wrong and I should give it another try.
2017-2-19
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ok, another day, another try .

I just did another IMU calibration just to be sure, but because it is already dark outside and raining I had no chance to fly.
So I started recording and just rotated the Mavic sitting on the table:

The gimbal again continues rotating for some time even when I don´t move the drone anymore!
I guess it´s just a "feature" to make the footage more smoothly looking and one can´t do anything about it.

Fiddling around with the various gimbal- and sensitivity-settings didn´t change the behaviour...
2017-2-20
Use props
fans1c1296f5
Captain
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

That last one is different though. It is supposed to move slightly like that to smooth out the pan, but the first video is definitely not supposed to happen. It happens to me as well and its not all the time. It will slowly drift to the right and I have no idea why it does that.
2017-2-20
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Hm, I am beginning to think that it happens to a lot or even all Mavics in certain conditions.
Maybe it is just the wind rotating it so slowly that the compass doesn't´t detect the angle change between two readings of the sensor?
If so calibration won´t help but it could be fixed in a future software update...
2017-2-20
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Sweden

daishi Posted at 2017-2-20 22:41
Hm, I am beginning to think that it happens to a lot or even all Mavics in certain conditions.
Maybe it is just the wind rotating it so slowly that the compass doesn't´t detect the angle change between two readings of the sensor?
If so calibration won´t help but it could be fixed in a future software update...

I have never seen it on mine, I have been "hanging" for a couple of minutes to get time lapses on some occasions and of course it changes a little bit cause of wind, but not to this extent. I don't know if it helps you or not, sorry for your problems.
2017-2-20
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Thanks Flybee!

Well, I did another IMU and Compass calibration. First I thought the issue was gone, but it´s still there. It was less pronounced today.
Looks like it has to do with the direction of the wind...

And it only rotates to by itself when I rotated the mavic on purpose directly before.
When I just fly up or in a straight line it keeps its heading.

It would be nice if DJI had to say something on this topic.
2017-2-21
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

...just a short update.
I contacted support and they told me they can only check if I send the drone in for inspection.
Actually I hoped that they would ask for the Log-files to have a look at it...Sending it in is pretty drastic especially as it flies flawless most of the time.

I did another test in pretty high winds today (gusts up to 50km/h!). It sometimes slowly rotated left or right when was higher up depending of the wind direction.
So my guess is that the "problem" was just the wind in my previous tests.
2017-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

daishi Posted at 2017-2-20 10:48
Ok, another day, another try .

I just did another IMU calibration just to be sure, but because it is already dark outside and raining I had no chance to fly.

I saw this on my stationary, non-flying Mavic recently while checking out some settings in my living room. Thought I was hallucinating. ;)

It eventually stopped moving -- I've been playing with gimbal pitch speed, smoothness, and follow modes so chalked it up to those changes and haven't investigated further.
2017-2-27
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

daishi Posted at 2017-2-19 09:27
They have all pretty short green bars in the "excellent" range:  [view_image]

I believe that you are experiencing a gimbal setting issue. Please do not yell at me if I am wrong...

So go into your DJI Go 4 App and open the gimbal settings menu. Open advanced settings and look at the gimbal pitch smoothness value  from 0-30...  lower this value closer to 5 and then check your drifting again.  
What I think is happening is you have this setting to high causing the gimbal to keep moving for softening the shot. The other thing that can effect this is Cinematic mode.

It is worth a try after you know everything has been calibrated.

All the best
Rich

IMG_8399.PNG
2017-2-27
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting you bring this up.  I just noticed this the other night when I had mine up about 100 feet.  I yawed to the left and it did exactly as you showed in your video.  MOST of the time I am not sitting still long enough to notice this but, for me it was evening and I wanted to get some city night shots.  

I too will check all of my settings and see if it continues.
2017-2-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

What you show in the video in your living room is exactly what it is designed to do.  It creates smoother pans, and is adjustable.
2017-2-27
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

You are right, the video in the living room is just normal behaviour.
I thought the Mavic should maintain its direction better while in the air. Maybe it´s just a restiction of the small platform or it is really my gimbal settungs.
For me it doesn´t look like I´ve got a fauly unit...

I will give the "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" a try when this frickin wind calms down . It is set at 20 right now.
2017-2-28
Use props
CuaC
First Officer
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

I came to say the Gimbal Pitch smoothness thing. Test lowering that value and see how it goes. I think your drone is just fine.
2017-2-28
Use props
fansb6043d80
New
United Kingdom

Mine does exactly the same, really irritating, also drifts to the left when flying forward, my p3 never did this, I've updated and  calibrated  everything
2017-4-4
Use props
Yraegel
Captain
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

I don't think this is normal. My first Mavic never exhibited this behavior. I started this other thread last week:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-90967-1-1.html

At that time I received an IMU error. I have calibrated the IMU but I am still getting the same yaw that continues after releasing the sticks. I do not think the gimbal pitch settings have any effect on gimbal yaw. It would be interesting if a Mod could chime in before having to send in my drone simply to find out if it has an issue or not.
2017-4-4
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Mine never done this. Maybe from crashing?
2017-4-4
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

Post on another forum that talks about a similar situation.  Id be very careful if attempting to degauss the compass with a magnet because it could make things worse, but something wrong with the compass could explain this if everything else has been tried.

http://mavicpilots.com/threads/y ... and-solution.12888/
2017-4-4
Use props
fansf5a664e1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1586890 ft
Sweden

I have the same "issue". Sometimes it does this and it feels like it´s because of the wind or something like that.

Could it bee the wind?
2017-4-6
Use props
Azimuth
New
Iceland

Hopefully I am not late to the party here. I'm having the same issue as well. I event sent my drone to DJI (for 4 weeks). Because of downgrading and upgrading my firmware caused my RC not to work. Could not fly my drone at all!
I said clearly in the message, that I can't fly straight because of the left yaw drift. After they sent my drone back, it is finally flying. BUT. The yaw-drift is still here. And it really makes the shot look bad. It shouldn't be like this. It is so frustrating.
2017-4-23
Use props
tyler947
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3878802 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I too am having a gimble drift issue both sitting still on a table or hovering. Did multiple compass calibrations and IMU calibrations in a perfectly level surface without any interference. This all started after a firmware update, I'm losing gps randomly where I would not before and having magnetic interference warnings where I did not before. I see I am not alone here - is DJI addressing this? Sending this back from the Northwest Territories of Canada is not ideal.
2017-5-27
Use props
tyler947
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

I've been trying to counteract the gimble drift with slight yaw input and it is throwing my shots off. I'll upload some video examples from my tablet when I get a chance.
2017-5-27
Use props
fanscbd0fffb
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue and the values of my compasses are out of sync with each other. Could be magnets in the leading edge of my tablet might be an issue, going to try rotating tablet and recalibrate sticks again and maybe IMU , poss compass, I've tried degaussing a little bit to see if that alters it as some people on here have said that solves it, but don't want to push it with the degaussing as really don't want to mess it up. Can anyone chime in with some help on this issue? Should compass one and two be reading same interference reading as each other most of the time? Going to try these alterations and see what happens. If any has any thoughts/progress please post here!
2017-5-28
Use props
tyler947
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Yraegel Posted at 2017-4-4 18:16
I don't think this is normal. My first Mavic never exhibited this behavior. I started this other thread last week:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-90967-1-1.html

Have you had any support from DJI on this? I still have the gimble yaw drift sitting on the table or flying with the new update as well. DJI does not seem to be looking into this issue. When I got mine it was steady as a rock for a time lapse.
2017-6-11
Use props
tyler947
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

2017-6-11
Use props
Yraegel
Captain
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

tyler947 Posted at 2017-6-11 13:31
Have you had any support from DJI on this? I still have the gimble yaw drift sitting on the table or flying with the new update as well. DJI does not seem to be looking into this issue. When I got mine it was steady as a rock for a time lapse.

I had the logs checked out and they indicated there was a compass deviation. Not sure what could have possibly caused it. I had to get a replacement Mavic so I will be observing the behavior and checking the  logs if it happens again. I never experienced gimbal drift. The drone itself slowly yawed one direction or the other.
There is a post on the forum about shielding the cable for the compass. I don't have the URL but it's a complicated repair.
2017-6-13
Use props
Brian88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385942 ft
United States

I had this problem too. Well, it's not really a problem, your Gimbal Pitch Smoothness is too high, so the gimbal is slowly and steadily moving back to center. There are a couple ways to remove/reduce this.

Option 1: Lower your Gimbal pitch smoothness. This will easily fix this drift. However, you will lose that silky smooth gimbal movement.
Option 2: (My recommendation) set one of your custom buttons to Camera Forward / Down, which will snap the camera forward or down, which should keep your gimbal silky smooth, but quickly be able to snap it to center forward so you don't miss the shot waiting for the gimbal to center itself.
2017-8-4
Use props
daishi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Its been a while now and I still have the same issue...
Did anybody find a successful fix for the drift?
2017-10-8
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules