United States

edit edit edit
2017-2-19
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Don't be nervous, I was nervous in the beginning also, think it's good keeps you awake. I had a Phantom 3 before and this one is so "easy" in comparison. If you read all guides etc and start slowly it will just work out find.  Happy flying when it arrives.
2017-2-19
Use props
Airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Start in beginner mode for your first couple of flights, you can't really go wrong if you do that. Build your confidence, which happens really quick and then explore all the other amazing things your Mavic can do. DJI Refresh is certainly worth it, but make sure you buy it within 48 hours of registering your Mavic.
2017-2-19
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

That's great that you already have a way to make some money with your new Mavic.

I was just wondering if you had any advice for me with the fear

Take your time and be cautious and patient in learning what your Mavic can and can't do. The vast majority of crashes are due to pilot error, which means that you have a great deal of control over how your flights turn out.

Should I get the refresh?

At this point I would have to recommend against it. You're apparently in the U.S., so look into a policy with State Farm ($60 per year for most people). Too many people are having trouble (delays, defective replacements, etc.) with Care Refresh that I don't feel comfortable recommending it any more, not to mention that a State Farm policy is cheaper and more comprehensive. And if your commercial business really takes off (no pun intended), you may want to look into a liability policy, but those aren't cheap and probably isn't really necessary as long as you're only doing work for a relative you trust.

Other than that my only advice is just keep doing what you're apparently already doing: learn from other peoples' mistakes by reading these forums and from YouTube videos. My guess from the content and tone of your post is that you'll do fine.
2017-2-19
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

- Keep it close to begin with
- Fly in a big open space
- Don't fly anywhere near trees/objects, any narrow areas
- Don't fly indoors (house) EVER...

So many people are flying them in their homes because "DJI said you can fly them indoors". Look at all the videos of them flying indoors... Launch event, a large indoor room. Launch video... Large open factory room with the guy on the skateboard.

No idea why people are flying them in their homes with walls or other expensive objects just feet either side!

Most importantly... Enjoy it. I was nervous at first watching £1350 flying away from me
2017-2-19
Use props
Teesquar
lvl.1

United States

Guess we are in similar situations. I'm taking it slow. http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid701511
2017-2-19
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the club... I will also add to practice in the ACADEMY. Try all kind of scenerios, know your buttons, know your environment especially if you are flying too close to people's houses. Electric lines, antennas etc... Know that the MP can fly using only the remote in case your app crashes but always keep it in LOS.

When flying for the weather, I would download the free app UAV FORECAST and keep your eye on the wind, wind gust, rain etc. and you are GOOD TO GO.

Good luck and post some vids soon.
2017-2-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Being a little nervous is fine, shows you care and have prepared properly,
Get your self a check list before you start flying and stick to it, it will become second nature in know time,

Above all enjoy it all, because it's a great hobby...

Good luck..
2017-2-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules