Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Mavic Pro Official ND Filter Test
4314 12 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yoengel
First Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Test footage of DJI's official OEM filters for the Mavic Pro (ND4/8/16) with side-by-side comparison without the filters.  These filters are easier to install and a lot lighter than the Polar Pro filters.  They are very delicate however, I would suggest keeping them in a hard case instead of the foam case that it came with.

It was a bright sunny day and I kept the exposure the same. I was able to bring down the shutter speed to 1/120 using the ND16 and could have used one more stop to get to the ideal 1/60 shutter speed. I'll have to do another test in the future.

2017-2-19
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Thanks for sharing I have some on order.
2017-2-19
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bintryin Posted at 2017-2-19 12:55
Thanks for sharing I have some on order.

Glad you found the video helpful.  I liked the DJI filters better than the other ones, they are a lot easier to install and remove.
2017-2-19
Use props
JMcGowen
lvl.1
Hong Kong

Hey how have your DJI ND filters held up with quality? I just got some and as soon as I tried to put them on the glass fell out of the cage. I assume the glue wasn't strong enough? I didn't push very hard on them and they just came apart. Has that happened to any of yours? I am thinking of returning them but wanting to make sure it isn't a common issue if I swap them out.
2017-2-20
Use props
hariedo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

Thanks for the comparisons.  The easy calm movement in the scene really isn't enough to feel the changes in shutter time which was the goal of ND filters.  A little bit of contrasty foliage in the foreground reveal was all we got to judge; there was no panning.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the exposure chosen for the video is pretty low, under-exposed?  It looks like a clear day well before dusk, but I feel like I'm wearing sunglasses when I watch this video compared to others.  The point of a ND filter is not to feel like sunglasses, but to drive a commensurate bump to higher exposure elsewhere (aperture being fixed on Mavic, so shutter time or sensitivity).  Maybe those who play with D-Log too much in the grading studio forget what bright sunny days should look like.
2017-2-20
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hariedo Posted at 2017-2-20 04:35
Thanks for the comparisons.  The easy calm movement in the scene really isn't enough to feel the changes in shutter time which was the goal of ND filters.  A little bit of contrasty foliage in the foreground reveal was all we got to judge; there was no panning.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the exposure chosen for the video is pretty low, under-exposed?  It looks like a clear day well before dusk, but I feel like I'm wearing sunglasses when I watch this video compared to others.  The point of a ND filter is not to feel like sunglasses, but to drive a commensurate bump to higher exposure elsewhere (aperture being fixed on Mavic, so shutter time or sensitivity).  Maybe those who play with D-Log too much in the grading studio forget what bright sunny days should look like.

Did you know that you can pause the video to see the motion blur?

I normally shoot during sunrise and sunset where I don't need ND filters.  The point of using ND filters, is to reduce the shutter speed if you were out shooting in the middle of the day.  Being in the middle of the day, there was a very wide dynamic range which resulted in under exposing the foreground.  Do you understand?

You're explanation about ND filters does not make any sense.  Care to elaborate?
2017-2-20
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JMcGowen Posted at 2017-2-20 02:55
Hey how have your DJI ND filters held up with quality? I just got some and as soon as I tried to put them on the glass fell out of the cage. I assume the glue wasn't strong enough? I didn't push very hard on them and they just came apart. Has that happened to any of yours? I am thinking of returning them but wanting to make sure it isn't a common issue if I swap them out.

My ND16 cracked while it was in the foam case.  I would suggest keeping them in a hard case.  I usually shoot during sunrise and sunset anyway so I don't usually need these filters and will only use them occasionally.
2017-2-20
Use props
Vlado7
lvl.1

United Kingdom

yoengel Posted at 2017-2-20 20:05
Did you know that you can pause the video to see the motion blur?

I normally shoot during sunrise and sunset where I don't need ND filters.  The point of using ND filters, is to reduce the shutter speed if you were out shooting in the middle of the day.  Being in the middle of the day, there was a very wide dynamic range which resulted in under exposing the foreground.  Do you understand?

I think heriedo's reply totally makes sense. I also thought the same when watching the video. But thank you anyway for this test - it does help.

If the image doesn't change much (like the grass or water) within a time frame, either because your drones is far from the subject or the objects don't move (or combination of both), it's hard to see the benefit of the ND filters.
What you also haven't included is the FPS.

In other words, say if you use 1/1000 shutter speed and for argument sake 25fps, each image (= frame) will be captured (=exposed) for 1 millisecond. So 25 images, each for 1 millisecond, so in total out of 1000 milliseconds, the camera will have it's eyes open for 25 milliseconds. Or in other words, within one minute each image will be taken for 1 milliseconds with ca. 39 milliseconds gaps between each image. When filming water or grass etc., there is not much happening in these 39 milliseconds so to day. But if you fly close over trees (looking down) or let's say many buildings, you will get a strobe effect.

I think the optimal shutter speed value is x2 to x3 the FPS, which the ND filters allow you to set.
2017-3-7
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Vlado7 Posted at 2017-3-7 09:31
I think heriedo's reply totally makes sense. I also thought the same when watching the video. But thank you anyway for this test - it does help.

If the image doesn't change much (like the grass or water) within a time frame, either because your drones is far from the subject or the objects don't move (or combination of both), it's hard to see the benefit of the ND filters.

Can you elaborate on what makes sense so I can respond.  Did you read my comments about the video?  I stated that I couldn't get to the ideal 1/60 frame rate.

Also did you miss the close-up fly by of the trees?  It's on every opening shot.  This was my first time doing a test like this and tried to capture as many conditions as possible.  For me it works because I can pause the video and look for motion blur.

How do you propose doing a test like this?  Please be specific.
2017-3-8
Use props
Vlado7
lvl.1

United Kingdom

yoengel Posted at 2017-3-8 06:53
Can you elaborate on what makes sense so I can respond.  Did you read my comments about the video?  I stated that I couldn't get to the ideal 1/60 frame rate.

Also did you miss the close-up fly by of the trees?  It's on every opening shot.  This was my first time doing a test like this and tried to capture as many conditions as possible.  For me it works because I can pause the video and look for motion blur.

"How do you propose doing a test like this?  Please be specific."
I would try to film something close that changes a lot in the frame.
For example flying close past building in a side-slide movement.
Imagine you have a row of buildings (or even trees), hover at 2 m altitude, face the buildings/trees and move side-wise. In that way a lot of the picture will change.
2017-3-9
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

yoengel Posted at 2017-2-19 13:04
Glad you found the video helpful.  I liked the DJI filters better than the other ones, they are a lot easier to install and remove.

Thank you for providing your comparison.
You indicated you liked the DJI better than the other ones.  I would be interested to know what other brands and filters you have tried and what the reasons were for favoring the DJI.  I'm currently trying to evaluate filters (both ND and PL) and your insight would be helpful.

I have a trip schedule to Arizona and, depending on time of day and skies, may need even higher ND to bring the shutter speed down.  And I'm also trying to determine if filters to help with polarized light would be necessary.

Thanks again for your informative video......
2017-3-9
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Vlado7 Posted at 2017-3-9 07:35
"How do you propose doing a test like this?  Please be specific."
I would try to film something close that changes a lot in the frame.
For example flying close past building in a side-slide movement.

Are you serious?  Maybe you should try implementing your idea and let me know how it goes.  This is not very practical, as the likelihood of the drone crashing while flying close to a building in an urban area is high.  May I remind you that the drone will have to be flown multiple times to try out the different filters.

Unfortunately, some people are good at complaining but don't really have a better suggestion.
2017-3-9
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-3-9 07:52
Thank you for providing your comparison.
You indicated you liked the DJI better than the other ones.  I would be interested to know what other brands and filters you have tried and what the reasons were for favoring the DJI.  I'm currently trying to evaluate filters (both ND and PL) and your insight would be helpful.

Glad you found the video helpful!  I've tried the plastic Polar Pro filters which required a lot of force to install and remove, and it has to be installed after the drone has been turned on and after gimbal calibration.  This product should never have been released or sold.  The aluminum cinema filters might be worth trying however.  I have the RcGeek PL filter which requires a bit less pressure to install and remove and can be installed before turning the Mavic on.

The DJI filters though are installed with almost no pressure required as it snaps into the Mavic camera and adds very minimal weight.

Regarding polarizers, the polarization effect changes relative to the position of the sun.  So if you were shooting in different angles, your shots would look different and in some cases have banding in the sky.  The PL filter in my opinion has very limited application but can be indispensable in the right situation.  For example removing reflections from crystal clear blue waters in a beautiful lake or beach.  For murky water, I would take the PL off and see the water reflections.

I intentionally did the test in the middle of a sunny morning and found the ND16 not enough.  But in most cases, I would shoot at sunrise and sunset and would not need the filters.  Hope this helps!
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules