VPS issue fixed, but collision avoidance issues now
2645 24 2017-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Is anyone else having issues where the Mavic repeatedly comes to a sudden halt with warning beeps notifying you of an obstacle and advising you to alter your flight (or something to that effect).     

My VPS landing issues seem to have been fixed by the latest firmware.    I was beginning to get these collision avoidance messages (and halts) before, but I assumed it had to do with the VPS.   Now that the VPS issues are resolved I'm staring down the barrel of false collision avoidance behavior.  

Anyone?   Is there a calibration or diagnostic I can run?
2017-2-19
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Is anyone else having issues where the Mavic repeatedly comes to a sudden halt with warning beeps notifying you of an obstacle

Yes, this happens to me. It most often -- but not always -- occurs in bright sunlight.

Is there a calibration or diagnostic I can run?

Not that I know of.
2017-2-19
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-19 17:24
Is anyone else having issues where the Mavic repeatedly comes to a sudden halt with warning beeps notifying you of an obstacle

Yes, this happens to me. It most often -- but not always -- occurs in bright sunlight.

Mine seemed to happen in bright sunlight and also at dusk in low light.  In other words it seemed agnostic as to when it happened.   

Sheesh man.   Such a bummer after finally getting the VPS issue fixed.    I can turn the collision avoidance off and it flies perfectly (and also seems to fly faster without collision avoidance -- pushing 30mph).

2017-2-19
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Yes this happens to me on the new firmware. On the 0200 firmware I had no problems flying toward the sun or using the RTH toward the sun but with this new firmware it is hopeless. Cannot use RTH toward the sun and cannot fly normally toward the sun. I can fly toward the sun at a crawl without a problem. Seems to be the tilting action that triggers OA.
I doubt there is anything we can do as this started with the new firmware.
2017-2-19
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-2-19 21:54
Yes this happens to me on the new firmware. On the 0200 firmware I had no problems flying toward the sun or using the RTH toward the sun but with this new firmware it is hopeless. Cannot use RTH toward the sun and cannot fly normally toward the sun. I can fly toward the sun at a crawl without a problem. Seems to be the tilting action that triggers OA.
I doubt there is anything we can do as this started with the new firmware.

I agree that it seems to be happening more often since the last firmware update, but I can't be sure since all the conditions that trigger it have never been entirely clear to me in the first place.
2017-2-20
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Based on my testing this weekend, it doesn't appear that there are any conditions or direction that triggers it.    I flew while the sun was directly overhead of the Mavic, in front of it, behind it, etc.   It didn't matter the level of light either.    I fly around for a few seconds and it hits an invisible brick wall and stops while giving me the warning messages and beeps.   It was even spontaneously hitting these messages and behavior on it's way back from on RTH, which is disturbing because if I got into trouble and needed it to come back it would just continually hit an imaginary brick wall and stay in place rather than returning.

I'm pretty crushed about this.    I waited for what seemed an eternity to just GET the Mavic, then I've waited for a month and a half for a VPS fix, and now I *still* don't have a working Mavic.    This has been the worst purchase decision in as long as I can remember.
2017-2-20
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 481778 ft
United States

Hi Nomad and Team,

I'll have a test of this today, I have just updated, and was just flying over a river in really bright sunlight and also at dusk and on Saturday and didn't notice this issue.  TBH i am not 100% certain i have collision avoidance engaged though...so with that said...

I CAN confirm that VPS issues are seemingly fixed after that latest 02/14 FW release and update.

how would one induce or reproduce this new collision avoidance issue?  would like to give it a test.

let me know, thanks!

dave

2017-2-20
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

dnorm Posted at 2017-2-20 09:14
Hi Nomad and Team,

I'll have a test of this today, I have just updated, and was just flying over a river in really bright sunlight and also at dusk and on Saturday and didn't notice this issue.  TBH i am not 100% certain i have collision avoidance engaged though...so with that said...

I'm not sure following any steps to reproduce it will do so if you aren't having it.    Mine happens just when normal flying unfortunately, and also under autopilot.   In other words I think you'd know it already because it would be happening to you regularly.

2017-2-20
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

I did have one thought though --    I just realized I've been flying my aircraft with DJI GO instead of DJI Go 4.0.    Could this make a difference?
2017-2-20
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

dnorm Posted at 2017-2-20 09:14
Hi Nomad and Team,

I believe you would have to be in normal flight mode (not sport mode) and have Obstacle Avoidance enabled in the App in order to see an potential problems with it.
2017-2-20
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Same here. 300 feet up, sun overhead, not flying into the sun and I got an obstacle warning. Really disappointed with this $1000 toy plagued with so many issues. The camera is awful and the gimbal seems too weak for the drone's performance.
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2017-2-20 09:52
I did have one thought though --    I just realized I've been flying my aircraft with DJI GO instead of DJI Go 4.0.    Could this make a difference?

I doubt it; my Mavic flying is always done with DJI Go 4 and I'm seeing similar behavior. I'm seriously considering downgrading to the previous firmware level to see if that helps, because although I've always had problems with OA being incorrectly triggered it seems to have gotten worse recently.
2017-2-20
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
United States

OK  my report:

DJI Go 4 - ipad mini 2...at 250 feet up - tree tops at 150...no obstacles up there.

three separate instances of 'obstacle avoided revise route' on the 02/14 FW with my mavic just moments ago...was seeing the radar arcs going off as well and hearing the beeps...blue sky sunny day.  Most of the flight was uneventful but definitely seeing this obstacle avoidance issue now.

something definitely going on here...VPS fixed...this is new as far as i can tell - or perhaps has always been there?

DJI - should we start gathering logs?

dave
2017-2-20
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
United Kingdom

Respectfully, The hardware that controls the VPS also controls the obstacle avoidance.... I don't want to suggest anything here but the firmware, to me, seems like a sticking plaster for a problem that can only be resolved by an RMA. Flying the Mavic seems like a game of whack-a-mole
2017-2-20
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

I downgraded back to v01.03.0200, flew two full batteries, and got no false positives in partly cloudy conditions (though not over water this time). It may just be a coincidence, but I think I'm going to stick with this firmware version for a while since nothing I care about is fixed in the latest one anyway.
2017-2-20
Use props
motard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1156263 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

How do you calibrate VPS?
2017-2-20
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

motard Posted at 2017-2-20 16:19
How do you calibrate VPS?

Go to assistant 2 on your computer, plug the Mavic in, and hit the calibrate button
2017-2-20
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
United States

i took some video of the behavior closer to the ground.

Based on these tests direct sunlight into the stereo vision sensors on the front almost certainly seemings to be the cause of this  issue.

see video below, sun is from the left in the video here - watch what happens as i turn in to the sun - OA kicks in abruptly (i have more videos as well,, but this is the most exemplary of the issue):

2017-2-20
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Is there anyone getting the RTH and OA problem on the new firmware and they have calibrated their VPS.
I originally got my Mavic on the v01.03.0200 and just flew without ever having a problem, even into the sun. I never even knew of the problem until two things happened. First I put an ND filter on and immediately RTH and flying into the sun became impossible (on the 01.03.0200 firmware), took the filter off and all back to normal. Upgraded to 01.03.0400 and all the RTH and flying into the sun and even OA when not flying into the sun happened. But I have never calibrated the VPS.
2017-2-20
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the ghost obstacle too...I posted about it awhile back...still have it.
2017-2-20
Use props
SashaSWISS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1534478 ft
Switzerland

Hello Mavic's

VPS problem solved....FINALY

BUT front collision avoidance IS A HUGE NEW PROBLEM towards the SUN ONLY !!!!

PLEASE DJI FIX THIS!!!!!

2017-2-21
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Am I the only one that fly's with all of the sensors disabled? I'll give it a year until the firmware is somewhat stable and bug free before using the sensors or "intelligent flight modes" not worth the risk or hassle IMO.
2017-2-21
Use props
iPurvis
lvl.2
United Kingdom

canadianairborn Posted at 2017-2-21 07:39
Am I the only one that fly's with all of the sensors disabled? I'll give it a year until the firmware is somewhat stable and bug free before using the sensors or "intelligent flight modes" not worth the risk or hassle IMO.

Shouldn't DJI then be selling the Mavic without sensors? for a lot less money? The whole point of it having these tools is as a pilot aid and part of its selling point. To have to use the mavic without these tools then seems counterintuitive and pointless to buy, People may as well have put up with lugging around the P3P  
2017-2-21
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

I too found out yesterday via limited testing that using a filter plus flying into bright sunlight seemed to exacerbate the false collision avoidance issues. Why the filter has anything to do with it? I dont know. And may have been coincidence. But in my experience, flying into bright sunlight is an issue with the collision avoidance. Im on most current firmware as well.Didnt seem to have this issue prior to recent upgrade
2017-2-21
Use props
dnorm
lvl.3
United States

pretty sure the ND filters don't have anything to do with it, the video above i posted is with the stock camera and no filters.

this seems to be a newly introduced issue since the latest firmware - at least one of which i am now aware.

dave
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules