Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4P tripod mode indoors?
12Next >
4742 43 2017-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

Hi,

will it work indoors, or does it need a good satellite signal?

2017-2-20
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

You should NEVER fly indoor. Period! ... Watch all those videos on you tube first...
2017-2-21
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

Well, so how can you explain that indoor flying is mentioned 4 times in the official DJI P4P manual?
2017-2-21
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-2-21 11:59
Well, so how can you explain that indoor flying is mentioned 4 times in the official DJI P4P manual?

Exactly! I keep seeing posts in the forums where someone says something should NEVER be done (and they might actually be right) even when the exact actions appear multiple times in DJI's promotional videos.
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-21 12:18
Exactly! I keep seeing posts in the forums where someone says something should NEVER be done (and they might actually be right) even when the exact actions appear multiple times in DJI's promotional videos.

So go ahead and fly indoor. This is America..you can do whatever you want but don't come back  {:4_157:}

my drone hit the wall... my drone hit my expensive tv or my drone killed my wife ( maybe you will be  )

2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-2-21 11:59

So go ahead and fly indoor. This is America..you can do whatever you want but don't come back  {:4_157:}

my drone hit the wall... my drone hit my expensive TV or my drone killed my wife ( maybe you will be  )
2017-2-21
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Captain
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 12:37
So go ahead and fly indoor. This is America..you can do whatever you want but don't come back  

my drone hit the wall... my drone hit my expensive TV or my drone killed my wife ( maybe you will be  )

Not challenging your reply. I am challenging that DJI promotes using its products in ways that are frowned upon by its customer base. For instance, people (even a DJI rep) have said we should not hand launch the Mavic, yet one of DJI's own promo videos shows exactly that activity.
2017-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 09:12
You should NEVER fly indoor. Period! ... Watch all those videos on you tube first...

Sorry, but I disagree with this. You can fly anywhere you want so long as it's legal, you are aware of the potential risks, how the Phantom is likely to react and fly it appropriately configured, and the location isn't to restricted. There's a difference to flying around, say, an exhibition hall to flying aroung your lounge room.

Where there's a need, there's a way... ;-)

To answer the question, you don't need a satellite connection to fly (unless you're in Beginners mode, in which case it wont take off without that). But you need to take care when you don't have a GPS connection but it gets one while in flight (goes near a window etc) as the P4 may then make a correction you weren't expecting. Also disable RTH on signal loss just in case - that would be a bad thing...

Also, investing in some prop guards (which don't obstruct the sensors) may be wise.
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-2-21 13:34
Not challenging your reply. I am challenging that DJI promotes using its products in ways that are frowned upon by its customer base. For instance, people (even a DJI rep) have said we should not hand launch the Mavic, yet one of DJI's own promo videos shows exactly that activity.

Just messing with you... no offense...

My point is that we have brain and if some one jump off the bridge we have a sense NOT to follow.

Now this said, I am with you on DJI  promoting flying inside BUT DJI, demo or vids are in a controlled settings.

The first thing that newbies do is they want to FLY INDOOR,  or GO UP 1000' without practice, without reading the manual, without learning from other people's mistake which cost them dearly.

With that said, the OP ask can I fly inside and my response will still be DON'T DO IT no matter what mode you use and how 100% careful you are going to be you WILL CRASH your baby...that is my opinion.

My motto... SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND!
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-21 14:02
Sorry, but I disagree with this. You can fly anywhere you want so long as it's legal, you are aware of the potential risks, how the Phantom is likely to react and fly it appropriately configured, and the location isn't to restricted. There's a difference to flying around, say, an exhibition hall to flying aroung your lounge room.

Punch... You see how many variables you did add so he can have 100% SAFE FLIGHT???
2017-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 14:20
Punch... You see how many variables you did add so he can have 100% SAFE FLIGHT???

Who said anything about a 100% safe flight? I can't even guarantee that outside in an open paddock... Cum'on, live on the edge - it's a great view !!

And otherwise guys, keep in mind that 'indoors' includes exhibition halls, skyscraper atriums, stadiums, etc. There may be a legitimate need. Oh, and I've flown around my home after doing app/craft configuration - no flapping curtains or vindictive sofas at my place... :-)
2017-2-21
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-21 14:29
I've honestly never had any inclination to fly inside my house or garage.   If I wanted gimbal type smooth video I'd maybe walk around with the props off but that's about it.

I never said anything about flying inside my house, or garage.
My question was in regard to doing some commercial work in warehouses, where there is PLENTY of space to maneuver safely. By the way, any space indoor is NOT regulated by FAA, so the only permission I need to get is from the owner of the warehouse.

So, just a simple technical question, which has nothing to do with safety, or regulations:
Will the Tripod mode work indoors?

Thanks
2017-2-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-2-21 15:46
My question was in regard to doing some commercial work in warehouses, where there is PLENTY of space to maneuver safely. By the way, any space indoor is NOT regulated by FAA, so the only permission I need to get is from the owner of the warehouse.

'Will the Tripod mode work indoors? '

As Tripod Mode requires GPS, and there is little chance of receiving GPS signals indoors, then no.
2017-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-21 15:53
As Tripod Mode requires GPS, and there is little chance of receiving GPS signals indoors, then no.

Are you sure Geebax? The manual implies on P.26 that either GPS or Visual system (needing good light) is required for Tripod Mode to work in a stable fashion - nothing else is stated. Beginners Mode is the only flight mode I'm aware of which simply won't allow the craft to take off without GPS lock. Perhaps it's all just semantics?

Regardless, Tripod Mode just slows the craft down, smoothes out actions, and enables infrared sensors. You can achieve the first two by winding down controller attributes under Main Controller settings / Advanced settings. There's a Cheat Sheet on that here somewhere - I can provide a copy if needed.

Edit: but a trial run is always wise. My learned colleagues are impressing on you the numerous variables which may impact on stable flight of the P4/P inside an enclosed structure. I suggest that you don't commit to a gig until you can test the location out first.

Oh, and there was a test on Youtube of the P4's obstacle avoidance when it was released. The guy was flying it into and around the interior of a barn. There may be some useful tips there.

2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-21 14:37
Who said anything about a 100% safe flight? I can't even guarantee that outside in an open paddock... Cum'on, live on the edge - it's a great view !!

And otherwise guys, keep in mind that 'indoors' includes exhibition halls, skyscraper atriums, stadiums, etc. There may be a legitimate need. Oh, and I've flown around my home after doing app/craft configuration - no flapping curtains or vindictive sofas at my place... :-)

Hey Punchy, My middle name is "Mr. Living on Edge while Flying on the Edge... Dronist...

I won't tell me anyone or advise anyone about flying objects that can hurt anyone or cause damages...then they will come back like, Trump and sue you..."Your Honor, Dronist told me I can do it so he is responsible, let him pay"... {:4_157:}

On a serious note...The problem is that 99% of the OP'S they don't explain in details what they want or need and everything get lost in TRANSLATION!.

2017-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 17:57
Hey Punchy, My middle name is "Mr. Living on Edge while Flying on the Edge... Dronist...

I won't tell me anyone or advise anyone about flying objects that can hurt anyone or cause damages...then they will come back like, Trump and sue you..."You honor Dronist told me I can do it so he is responsible let him pay"...

Haha! OK, point taken.

But I can't be sued for that in the context you're suggesting. And, true, I can't assume the specifics of what the op has in mind (although he wants to fly in a warehouse). But I can respond to the information the op is seeking, as well as point out the tricks and traps of doing so. Do you think by Not responding that the op won't give it a go anyway?  ;-)   So, why not offer advice where you can?
2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-2-21 15:46

That is the problem... You did NOT explain from the beginning, I am mean number one post all the way at the top of this page what you want and what you needed. You waited until post 13th to explain in more detailed.

I wish OP'S writing and asking for help would be more precise and detailed when they ask their questions so they can get the right help they need but...

On the other hand, how are we going to have such enlighten discussions, laugh and... through out this forum. if it wasn't for them..  

2017-2-21
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-21 18:29
Haha! OK, point taken.

But I can't be sued for that in the context you're suggesting. And, true, I can't assume the specifics of what the op has in mind (although he wants to fly in a warehouse). But I can respond to the information the op is seeking, as well as point out the tricks and traps of doing so. Do you think by Not responding that the op won't give it a go anyway?  ;-)   So, why not offer advice where you can?

You wanna bet your drone/s on it??/

Punch, he waited to the 13th post to explain in detail on what he wanted to achieve... I know we are here to help and we will give advice but we have to keep in the back of our mind, on how to protect our nest egg... OK Mate...   ...
2017-2-21
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-21 19:06
I just ASSumed indoors means home, garage or office etc.  A n00b would ask can I fly indoors and we all said, umm not a good idea which is true.  One would think someone wanting to fly in a warehouse commercially per the Op on #13 would have mentioned the freaking warehouse environment and put that in the OP.  He chastised me for my pre #13 post but that's ok.  

Like I said.  Good luck OP.

Please read my original post one more time. I never asked if I CAN fly indoors. My question was "Will the tripod mode work indoors?". Sorry for the confusion.
2017-2-22
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-21 16:12
Are you sure Geebax? The manual implies on P.26 that either GPS or Visual system (needing good light) is required for Tripod Mode to work in a stable fashion - nothing else is stated. Beginners Mode is the only flight mode I'm aware of which simply won't allow the craft to take off without GPS lock. Perhaps it's all just semantics?

Regardless, Tripod Mode just slows the craft down, smoothes out actions, and enables infrared sensors. You can achieve the first two by winding down controller attributes under Main Controller settings / Advanced settings. There's a Cheat Sheet on that here somewhere - I can provide a copy if needed.

Here is what the user manual says: "Only use Tripod Mode where the GPS signal is strong or light conditions are ideal for the vision system. If GPS signal is lost and the vision system cannot function, it will automatically switch to Atti mode. In this case, flight speed will increase and the aircraft cannot hover in place. Use Tripod Mode carefully."
So, it's clearly either GPS, or VPS. Another question is how many satellites would be enough for the tripod mode.
I guess the empirical way to find out would be probably the quickest in this case.
2017-2-22
Use props
Sestaceans
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flown it indoors many times in tripod mode.  Works great in wider areas.  Of course be very careful.  If you don't have much experience using drones.  I wouldn't  fly indoors until you practice a bunch
2017-2-22
Use props
Rebal1oo
Flight distance : 1566647 ft
United States

Tripod mode does work indoors.  The drone will stay an estimated four to six feet from a wall or obstacle.  If you use the custom button that lets you get closer I am estimating that you can get within about two feet from an objest.  A key point to remember is that the front and rear cameras need light to work.  You will get a warning if there is not enough light and it is possible to fly into things this way.
2017-2-22
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

Rebal1oo Posted at 2017-2-22 18:58
Tripod mode does work indoors.  The drone will stay an estimated four to six feet from a wall or obstacle.  If you use the custom button that lets you get closer I am estimating that you can get within about two feet from an objest.  A key point to remember is that the front and rear cameras need light to work.  You will get a warning if there is not enough light and it is possible to fly into things this way.

By the 'custom button', I assume you mean by setting one of the C buttons to 'narrow sensing'? Just checking...
2017-2-22
Use props
gt3rs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 280056 ft
Switzerland

P4p flies very well indoor especially when there is enough light for the VPS to work. Tripod mode works perfectly fine indoor with VPS enabled and no GPS signal.
In tight spaces you would need to use the narrow sensing by assigning it to the C1 key. You need to keep it pressed all the time to allow narrow sensing to work.
In my tests tripod mode with narrow sensing's work well even in quite tight spaces, I flew for 15 minutes on a 5 x 3m room as training for a project that requires indoor fling fortunately in a much bigger space.

Naturally there is more risk that you touch something and to damage the drone.
2017-2-23
Use props
Rebal1oo
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-22 19:13
By the 'custom button', I assume you mean by setting one of the C buttons to 'narrow sensing'? Just checking...

Yes; I couldn't remember the name.
2017-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-21 14:02

Think the point about flying indoors, in your sitting room is a real no no, what's the point if it's to video there are a lot easier and better and less risky ways of filming around your sitting room, so should you fly around your sitting room, advice should be No.

Should you fly indoors commercial buildings churches etc, why not, but again if you can get the shot without a drone and with less risk, then do that, if not and the best way to get the shot is with the AC then by all means work out how to do it, it's not so difficult to fly indoors in the right environment, big space and a whole lot of safety in mind.

I read almost everyday over on the Mavic forum, people trying to fly in their kitchen sitting room, crashing getting injured, and 9 times out of 10 they blame dji because somebody somewhere said you could fly the Mavic indoors, something they thought was easy turned out to be a very different kettle of fish..

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
2017-2-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-23 14:18
Think the point about flying indoors, in your sitting room is a real no no, what's the point if it's to video there are a lot easier and better and less risky ways of filming around your sitting room, so should you fly around your sitting room, advice should be No.

Should you fly indoors commercial buildings churches etc, why not, but again if you can get the shot without a drone and with less risk, then do that, if not and the best way to get the shot is with the AC then by all means work out how to do it, it's not so difficult to fly indoors in the right environment, big space and a whole lot of safety in mind.

Haha! Love the quote at the end, and all good statements Hallmark.

Yup, in many respects I think this thread is now done. The op has his answer, with some people actually sharing some real experience. What I'm a little disappointed about are the flyers who have chimed in to say that you can't do it, based on the assumption that the op will be flying around the living room with his kids and pets around. OK, there's some real numptys out there, but let's answer with facts but tempered with the risk (like gt3rs and rebal1oo did).
So, of course it can be done - just fly carefuly, test the location out first for any gotcha's, and don't be an idiot...
2017-2-23
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

To my understanding tripod mode is no more than a general desensitization of controls.
I bought the P4P two days ago and due to severe weather in my hometown I've flown it only inside, inspecting my appartment and blowing up dust ;-)
This only works when obstacle sensing is off - means I would hit a wall when I aim at it.
With the P3 Standard flying inside was changelling, with the P4P it's very easy!
2017-2-23
Use props
gt3rs
Second Officer
Switzerland

Eric13 Posted at 2017-2-23 14:57
To my understanding tripod mode is no more than a general desensitization of controls.
I bought the P4P two days ago and due to severe weather in my hometown I've flown it only inside, inspecting my appartment and blowing up dust ;-)
This only works when obstacle sensing is off - means I would hit a wall when I aim at it.

With the sensing on and the narrow sensing pressed you can fly very close to objects so no need to disable it.
Tripod monde not only is slowing the sticks response but is limiting the speed at 3.6 km/h max and try to keep the drone in the same position as precise as possible.
2017-2-24
Use props
gt3rs
Second Officer
Switzerland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-23 14:18

If you plan to take video indoor on large buildings like churches etc... you need to train, you cannot show up for a commercial work and say let's try to fly indoor without having it trained before.
If you are ok with the risk of destroying the drone why not train on a fairly small room preferably empty and with no kids or other people around? There is basically only a material risk so it is not stupidity if you know what you are doing and what are the risks involved. It is much more risky driving at work everyday.

I do a lot of gimbal work (Ronin M) but you cannot get the same type of shoot that with a drone. For example entering the room from a balcony, or going upstairs in a smooth and speedy way, etc...

Here is a great example of indoor drone usage: https://www.facebook.com/ClassicFM/videos/10155028365599260/
Yes is big but something he is flying really close to walls etc... so a good indoor training is mandatory if you want to do such thing.

2017-2-24
Use props
picky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 279 ft
Philippines

gt3rs Posted at 2017-2-24 01:25
If you plan to take video indoor on large buildings like churches etc... you need to train, you cannot show up for a commercial work and say let's try to fly indoor without having it trained before.
If you are ok with the risk of destroying the drone why not train on a fairly small room preferably empty and with no kids or other people around? There is basically only a material risk so it is not stupidity if you know what you are doing and what are the risks involved. It is much more risky driving at work everyday.

Thanks for posting that. Have watched the video 4 times and  more viewing of it to come.
2017-2-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It's a beautiful video and extremely professional,

I don't think it's stupid flying for practice indoors in a small room, but as you say clear of people furniture and anything that you may cause damage to, I have a little syma which I regularly try to fly in and out of my garage, and while it's extremely difficult to control I look at it as good practice.

My one gripe with a lot of people flying indoors is taking out the drone in your sitting room to show your friends you can do it and all hell breaks loose, as you say training and practice is what you need, one of the real problems in flying indoors is to know what to do the minute some goes wrong, Safety first.

Your analogy about driving to work is always a bad one, driving to work you are governed by a strict set of rules which are there for the protection of pedestrians and other drivers, unlike flying a drone in your sitting room where no rules apply.

“The ache for home lives in all of us. The safe place where we can go as we are and not be questioned.”
2017-2-24
Use props
gt3rs
Second Officer
Switzerland

In fact there are tons of death due to phantom flying indoors and none thanks to the strict rules that governs driving........ The point that I was trying to make with this analogy is that currently there are zero reports of death or life threatening injuries due to phantoms compared to things that most people do everyday. Reading here it seems that is the most dangerous things to do in life is flying a phantom indoor....

No you should not fly near people but personally I would prefer to get hit by a drone flying at 1m altitude at 1km/h in my apartment than the same drone falling from the sky from 100m..... It is much more dangerous cooking that flying a drone indoor.

Stay away from kids and people and then your fine.... you can break the drone or furniture but you know that and it can happen....

Yesterday I flew more than 1h in a indoor icerink for a project and I had to fly very close to the protection net without the indoor training before it would have been impossible... you will be surprised how stable and easy the phantom is flying indoor without GPS.... you just need good light to have the visioning system working.

2017-2-25
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Anything is possible, even indoor. It all depends on the pilot:

2017-2-28
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-2-28 18:03
Anything is possible, even indoor. It all depends on the pilot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC8Q0unTriI

Amazing video. Hope it won't encourage the passengers to try the same thing
2017-3-4
Use props
Rebal1oo
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-2-22 19:13

Yes I am talking about the narrow sense button.
2017-3-6
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-21 17:57
Hey Punchy, My middle name is "Mr. Living on Edge while Flying on the Edge... Dronist...

I won't tell me anyone or advise anyone about flying objects that can hurt anyone or cause damages...then they will come back like, Trump and sue you..."Your Honor, Dronist told me I can do it so he is responsible, let him pay"... {:4_157:}

Dronist... you must have had some bad experiences.  I have flown indoors dozens of times for clients.  I have flown in classrooms, down hallways, in atriums, theaters, and more.  

Yes, it is scary.  Yes, even air currents can send the drone astray, but if you are practiced with flying ATTI, you don't have a problem.

Sounds like maybe you aren't the kind of pilot who practices flying in ATTI?

2018-5-15
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Plus remember to set the RTH function to HOVER!.... just in-case it activates.
2018-5-15
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-5-15 04:05
Dronist... you must have had some bad experiences.  I have flown indoors dozens of times for clients.  I have flown in classrooms, down hallways, in atriums, theaters, and more.  

Yes, it is scary.  Yes, even air currents can send the drone astray, but if you are practiced with flying ATTI, you don't have a problem.

Mabou3

Good for you dude but did not your daddy  tell you should never assume what other people do or don't?  
2018-5-15
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-5-15 22:04
Mabou3

Good for you dude but did not your daddy  tell you should  never assume what other people do or don't?

heh... HI DRONIST!  My daddy didn't teach me much.    That said, I was just reacting to things you were saying.  

FWIW: I flew indoors on a shoot in NYC yesterday....  everything went really well... until I crashed my drone... lol.  I was in a rush (client pressure) and made a stupid mistake while using course lock.  I got an amazing shot using course lock... then totes forgot I had it turned on.  Walked to a different angle, pushed the stick forward and the drone didn't behave as expected... it flew sideways right into a pillar.  OOPS... heh.  (Feet shuffling, shoulders rounded, head turned meekly downward).  First time I ever crashed in front of a client.  The client went from being "HOW COOL IS THAT!!!" to "OH MY GOD!" in an instant.  lol
2018-5-18
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules