Firmware : v01.03.0400 - MAJOR GIMBAL IMPROVEMENT?
1131 8 2017-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

Have Phantom 4 since May and ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! I mean NOT ONE LITTLE HINT OF ANY GLITCH EVER!!! Almost unbelieveable, and didnt' know I could have that much confidence in a drone (probably residual fear from having Parrot Bebop for year and half lol).

First recieved Mavic, seemed PERFECT!

Then after one or more updates, following issues appeared:

- Gimbal was SCREWED! Would randomly and constantly try to focus, then "flip" out like when it does when first powered on, except during flight or even on when on the gorund idling.
- Lose GPS mid flight in open field (horizon to horizon view of sky with 14-19 satelietes different times)
- In Atti Mode, would have (practically) no control, almost like tri-pod mode, which in wind meant no control, almost lost drone (VERY CLOSE!)

At least 2 of the above issues seem to be correct in the update, time will tell for the third!

The gimbal was doing the above very frequently, and usually closer to when first powered up, and calmed down a little after some flgiht.

Since the update, no wieird/random focusing accompanied by a srange almost squeeking type noise, so VERY good sign since this was consistantly happening before! (flip out thing used to happen after focus thing a bunch of times) and has not flipped out since update either)!

The biggest change in gimbal which surprises me, is how stiff the gimbal remains now after Drone is powered off!

Before the update and drone was off, gimbal was VERY loose (and expectedly so, didn't seem strange), and gimbal guard was a MAJOR PAIN for me, the camera would turn, and the little notch that goes in the guard was hard to align etc. (not a big deal).

My point is now, there is a very distinct added firmness to the gimbal when drone is off. Even when you turn the drone upside-down! But most notably, if you try to turn any part of the gimbal, you can feel the resistance, and it kind of "bounces" back to place. Even the middle camera itself with the notch for the guard, if you poke with your finger a little to turn it, it's springy to the center. If you turn it alot it will turn, but turn it back and it will "bounce" to the middle again.

Very cool! This makes me most happy cause shows the gimbal control has been significantly changed in this update, and since i had an open RMA to send Mavic back for repair for this issue, now seems like Mavic is now ok!

(hopefully last and major GPS loss issues is fixed, happened to me 3 seperate times and reminds me of my Parrot Bebop days )

2017-2-21
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

UPDATE: Answer is NO, still had gimbal flip out a couple times
2017-2-26
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Hey this is rely wrong...if you gimbal now it is tiff and return to home position this is not ok..this meaning that some power is still applied to it even if the quad it s powered down.

If your gimbal is flipping most sure you should be already resent the quad to dji under warranty.
2017-2-26
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

daivatam Posted at 2017-2-26 13:43
Hey this is rely wrong...if you gimbal now it is tiff and return to home position this is not ok..this meaning that some power is still applied to it even if the quad it s powered down.

If your gimbal is flipping most sure you should be already resent the quad to dji under warranty.

I hear what you are saying.

I even took battery out (not for very long) and was still "stiffer".

It is actually a nice effect, but DEFINITELY was after the firmware upgrade, so don't think was stricky a physical thing.

I have contacted DJI and they started an RMA, this for a list of issues but most have gone away with the update, so didn't send yet.

Then when the gimbal flipped out again on new firmware, (only once compared to 10 times on previous firmware) i realize it might actually have to go back.

First though I will try downgrading back to .200, because there were no issues until i did the first upgrade to .300, and then .400, even though .400 is WAY better than .300, which basically made the drone unusable all in all.

If the gimbal freaks out at .200 then I know for sure it has to go back!
2017-2-26
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

Strange...I don't see any possibility that could make the gimbal to be stiff without power.....Very strange!
Yes myself I received the quad with .100 and not had any major problems with it...no satellites dropping no crazy gimbal no fly away no descend problems or others...
2017-2-26
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

daivatam Posted at 2017-2-26 14:59
Strange...I don't see any possibility that could make the gimbal to be stiff without power.....Very strange!
Yes myself I received the quad with .100 and not had any major problems with it...no satellites dropping no crazy gimbal no fly away no descend problems or others...

Very interesting!

So you have not done the updates?

My first couple of quick test flights before any updates I did not notice any problems, and in fact was blown away by how good it was, from how stable video was in high wind for small drone, camera quality etc.

My last resort before sending back to DJI is downgrade as low as possible with DJI Assistant and see.

Because issues have been seemingly so different from firmware to firmware, I am reluctant to send back because at this point I am convinced it is crappy programming from DJI, not any hardware defects!
2017-2-26
Use props
SnowBirdNL
lvl.2
Canada

FYI: Some examples of some gimbal issues:

2017-2-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Yeah that thing is broke. Would send it back. Maybe a short in the ribbon to the camera/gimbal. Good idea on the downgrade, reset defaults. You should be able to see right away.

Probably a short though. The microprocessor is seeing something out of spec and re init the gimbal.
2017-2-26
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

Nope no update done...because everything is working properly ...
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules