Question about batteries : firmware, storage level
972 3 2017-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cho7
lvl.2
France

Hi all,

While playing with my mavic this week-end, I asked myself 2 questions.

First is : what is the best/simple way to charge the battery at storage level ? Right now, I'm going to charge my 3 batteries to 100% then let them auto-discharge to 65% after the trigger period (mine is still set to 10 days). Maybe there is a better alternative ?

Also, while every firmware updates and tutorials seem related to aircraft firmware or remote controller firmware, I read somewhere that battery also needed to be firmware-upgraded. Is it true ?

Because on last week-end, when I used my 3rd battery and shutdown the mavic at the end, I glimpsed a message when shutting down djig go 4, "firmware mismatch" or something like that. I don't know if it's related to the battery or not, but my drone and the controller were both updated with february 14th firmware update ("latest firmware" was displayed in dji go during my whole 3 flights), but when I do this, I do this for one battery only, not 3.

Any inputs are welcome !

Thanks
2017-2-21
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

what is the best/simple way to charge the battery at storage level ?

Auto-discharging should be fine. The alternatives are to fly until it gets down to the desired level or lower, and if lower then just charge until you see two solid and one blinking green light and then stop charging.

I read somewhere that battery also needed to be firmware-upgraded. Is it true ?

Yes, some firmware versions also update the battery firmware. And yes, you will be prompted to allow the battery firmware to be updated just as you described.
2017-2-21
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Generally, lipo batteries are best stored at 50% charge (between 40% and 65%). This will increase their longevity. Several possible battery practices include:
1) Allow your batteries to cool immediately after a flight. Never re-charge a hot battery. If you only have one battery, buy additional so that you have a ready fuel source when you want to fly!
2) Since the primary heat sink on the Mavic is below the battery compartment, remove the battery after flight so that it doesn't absorb the latent aircraft heat.
3) After the battery cools sufficiently, pilots with multiple batteries will label their batteries to help ensure equal utilization and  will re-charge their batteries to just above 50% (two full LEDs and the third LED just beginning to flash) and store them at 50%. Then, as preparation for the days flight, will charge the necessary stored batteries to 100%, in preparation for flying that day.

The Mavic stores your current firmware within the aircraft, so if you insert a battery that has older battery firmware, the main controller will recognize the necessity to upgrade the battery and will alert the GO4 App which will advise you of the requirement. You must acknowledge the alert and either update the battery or choose to dismiss the alert and upgrade later. The recent mandatory GO4 app upgrade likely ensured that this battery upgrade could NOT be done while airborne since the battery upgrade restarts the battery; not a good thing if airborne and will not happen with the latest GO4 app...
2017-2-21
Use props
cho7
lvl.2
France

OK thanks for your answers ! I'll try to deal with the auto-discharge feature then, because I don't want to stay next to my charger waiting for 2 solid leds & 1 blinking led on each of my 3 batteries :-)

A "charge-to-storage-level" button on the charger would have been nice

I've just have a little concern about this battery firmware update, because DJI Go 4 doesn't seem to detect the battery upgrade necessity in real time  (I have been able to fly with 3 batteries without being noticed of the upgrade, while it detects new firmware for aircraft/controller as soon as I start up the app)
2017-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules