Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low Starting voltage?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Spexel
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70210 ft
United States

When it finally stopped raining, i was pumped to fly my drone, before i lifted off my voltage was at 4.16, nothing strange. But as i lifted off and was gently (Never go full throttle, only like 10 mph) flying in the air when i noticed that i had 3.7v left, is it normal to start out with such low voltage? My battery was also at 95 percent-ish.
2017-2-22
Use props
Spexel
lvl.2
United States

Right, and also i was flying in 42 degree cold, maybe that could effect it?
2017-2-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You are referring to one cell?  Normally when folks talk about their battery, they talk about the voltage of the battery as a whole, not the voltage of one cell.

You're lucky if you can turn your battery on and find it in the app at more than 99%.  When it launches, it will cost you something like .5 or ..6 volts.  That'll get burned in about 3 secs.  The estimated percentage of the battery charge won't drop much because it takes the launch into account.  After flying a minute or two, it'll get to 95%.

Yes, cold will definitely affect it.  Make sure your battery is warm before you launch.  

Watch my battery's voltage here and compare it with the percentage:  

2017-2-22
Use props
Spexel
lvl.2
United States

Yea, i was referring to one cell. Also, how did you get so far? Did you stand atop a tower or someplace high? I can only get about 1500 feet before i disconnect and i have a p3a
2017-2-23
Use props
Spexel
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-22 14:59
You are referring to one cell?  Normally when folks talk about their battery, they talk about the voltage of the battery as a whole, not the voltage of one cell.

You're lucky if you can turn your battery on and find it in the app at more than 99%.  When it launches, it will cost you something like .5 or ..6 volts.  That'll get burned in about 3 secs.  The estimated percentage of the battery charge won't drop much because it takes the launch into account.  After flying a minute or two, it'll get to 95%.

I got to around 1500 ft and my screen said aircraft disconnected, but looking back at the footage it never initiated RTH, I only got it back because within a few seconds i regained the signal and was able to fly back. I have the setting enabled in the app too.
2017-2-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Make sure that you have topped off any flight packs with charging, that have been sitting for a length of time. Particularly where auto discharge may have already begun.

As well, don't ever take off before the Home Point has been recorded and announced.  RTH may be problematic without that being set first.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-23
Use props
Spexel
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-23 12:08
Make sure that you have topped off any flight packs with charging, that have been sitting for a length of time. Particularly where auto discharge may have already begun.

As well, don't ever take off before the Home Point has been recorded and announced.  RTH may be problematic without that being set first.

Yes i always make sure its set. I could tell exactly where i lost the signal because i was investigating a big cloud and thought "o lmao that a big cloud" and it just kind of hovered before i regained signal
2017-2-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-23 12:13
Yes i always make sure its set. I could tell exactly where i lost the signal because i was investigating a big cloud and thought "o lmao that a big cloud" and it just kind of hovered before i regained signal

Clouds are not static, drifting slowly in the ever moving air currents.  So be careful, with using those as a landmark.

Keeping a VLOS, sure becomes more important, particularly where the app loses connection to your drone. Lucky it got reconnected.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-22 11:01
Right, and also i was flying in 42 degree cold, maybe that could effect it?

+42*F is still within the appropriate numbers. So that shouldn't be a factor.
Always let your flight battery warm up for a couple of minutes in a close hover, before flying off.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-23
Use props
Spexel
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-23 12:21
Clouds are not static, drifting slowly in the ever moving air currents.  So be careful, with using those as a landmark.

Keeping a VLOS, sure becomes more important, particularly where the app loses connection to your drone. Lucky it got reconnected.

Sorry but VLOS is a GPS connection right?
2017-2-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-23 12:27

Yes, the more satellites connected, all the better. Unless it switches to ATTI mode.
Then you are also at the mercy of the prevailing winds when up at higher elevations.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-23
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-22 14:59

Mark, I am curious what you are using for your screen recording to be able to see the drone up in the corner and the obvious other advertisements at the top of the screen?
2017-2-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-2-23 12:43
Mark, I am curious what you are using for your screen recording to be able to see the drone up in the corner and the obvious other advertisements at the top of the screen?

The recording is done with the DJI camera.  I use Litchi for a flight app.  The recording starts automatically on launch.  After the AC lands, I transfer the video from my SD card to my desktop.  After that, I use an editor to add the music.  Finally I use Dashware to add everything else.  
2017-2-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Spexel Posted at 2017-2-23 12:27

VLOS stands for Visual Line Of Sight, meaning that you can see the aircraft in the sky with naked eyes, that is not using any visual aids like binoculars. It has nothing to do with GPS.
2017-2-23
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-23 13:45
The recording is done with the DJI camera.  I use Litchi for a flight app.  The recording starts automatically on launch.  After the AC lands, I transfer the video from my SD card to my desktop.  After that, I use an editor to add the music.  Finally I use Dashware to add everything else.

OK, I get everything else, but was missing the Dashware part. thanks. I might look into that.
2017-2-24
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Be advised, if you have Win10 Anniversary Update or later, Dashware may not load.  
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules