Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Car Charger Burnout
2100 10 2017-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mzfly
Flight distance : 467474 ft
New Zealand

Hi to all.

Today my new car charger used about 5 times burned out. The cigarette part smoked and is smelling heavy after burned electrical stuff.
The charger is dead.

Did anything like that happened to anybody else?
The only thing I can say is that the battery voltage in my car was a bit low.
But the charger start it without any problems.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance
2017-2-22
Use props
Citation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

Curious to hear the response as well.
2017-2-22
Use props
mzfly
New Zealand

Can anyone tell me what the small pcb in the cigarette lighter part does?
It seems to be a electrical fuse and or a under over voltage detection. On IC on this board is totally burned.
The problem is that I'm on a journey in New Zealand and I need the charger.
2017-2-23
Use props
mzfly
New Zealand

This is the burned part
IMG_4143.JPG
2017-2-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I was trying to tell you to send it back to us, then I saw you took it apart..  that voids the warranty, even after it's burnt  
2017-2-23
Use props
mzfly
New Zealand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-23 23:16
I was trying to tell you to send it back to us, then I saw you took it apart..  that voids the warranty, even after it's burnt

It is kind of funny that you are talking about the warranty. You see I'm an electrical engineer and my work is the design of switching regulators. I want to solve a problem if I see on. And there is a problem in your car charger sensing unit in the cigarette adapter. Hopefully for dji it is only a problem in my unit. Because I was not doing anything out of spec. The unit smoked and could have start burning or short circuit my car electric.
So if I were you I would ask you to send the unit in to analyze to failure. Warranty would be my last problem
2017-2-24
Use props
NavigatorNL
First Officer
Flight distance : 700768 ft
Netherlands

Would be a great move from DJI to replace the unit and keep in touch with you about the results of their investigation. If I were the manufacturer I would want to know what's wrong.
2017-2-24
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

According to the product description from DJI, the Mavic car charger has car battery low voltage protection and connector high temperature protection functions. I presume the circuit board inside the connector contains the protection circuit including sensing elements (zener diode, thermistor), control logic IC, and ultimately a power MOSFET to control power through the negative (black) wiring of the DC power supply to the charger. Apparently it was the power MOSFET that burnt out in your case, either because of a defective MOSFET, or a defective MOSFET driving circuit that had not given a clean switching signal to the MOSFET from "1" to "0", rendering it working beyond the rated power limit, and burnt.

DJI should honour its warranty in your case, regardless of whether or not an open-up inspection was conducted by you AFTER the happening of the incident, provided that the subject connector had never been opened prior to the incident. You may declare if indeed that was the case, and pursue on your claim of warranty. Otherwise, it will appear to all of us here that DJI is unfair to its customer!

On a side note, I could never have my Mavic car charger functioning properly as advertised by DJI since Day 1. I had made a request to DJI support & QA/QC depts via DJI-Mindy for DJI's looking into the problem we faced in early Feb 2017, but nothing was heard ever since. You were lucky that you were once able to had the car charger worked for you with low car battery voltage, but were unlucky in the sense that it ended up burnt.

Henry
2017-2-24
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

mzfly Posted at 2017-2-24 01:12
It is kind of funny that you are talking about the warranty. You see I'm an electrical engineer and my work is the design of switching regulators. I want to solve a problem if I see on. And there is a problem in your car charger sensing unit in the cigarette adapter. Hopefully for dji it is only a problem in my unit. Because I was not doing anything out of spec. The unit smoked and could have start burning or short circuit my car electric.
So if I were you I would ask you to send the unit in to analyze to failure. Warranty would be my last problem

You're an electrical engineer and you were asking if anyone knew what the PCB was ??
All the signs were there to tell you it was faulty and you took it to bits? Yes its faulty but warranty would have covered that no problem at all ...

Sad to say, but i'd refuse a warranty claim if i was DJI, just standard procedure with anything.

2017-2-24
Use props
mzfly
New Zealand

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-2-24 07:36
According to the product description from DJI, the Mavic car charger has car battery low voltage protection and connector high temperature protection functions. I presume the circuit board inside the connector contains the protection circuit including sensing elements (zener diode, thermistor), control logic IC, and ultimately a power MOSFET to control power through the negative (black) wiring of the DC power supply to the charger. Apparently it was the power MOSFET that burnt out in your case, either because of a defective MOSFET, or a defective MOSFET driving circuit that had not given a clean switching signal to the MOSFET from "1" to "0", rendering it working beyond the rated power limit, and burnt.

DJI should honour its warranty in your case, regardless of whether or not an open-up inspection was conducted by you AFTER the happening of the incident, provided that the subject connector had never been opened prior to the incident. You may declare if indeed that was the case, and pursue on your claim of warranty. Otherwise, it will appear to all of us here that DJI is unfair to its customer!

Thanks for your detailed answer. In the meantime I also did some investigations and found exactly the parts you mentioned on the board. Thanks for your help
2017-2-24
Use props
mzfly
New Zealand

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-23 23:16

I opened it because normally in the cigarette lighter part there is user changeable fuse. I thought maybe it is broken so I tried to change it. If I had known that there is some electrical part I wouldn't have opened it. Maybe you still give me the chance to send it back by warranty
2017-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules