Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 2V+ drifting a tad
1113 10 2015-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

So I've logged probably a couple hours on my phantom since I purchased it a few week ago.  One of the things i have noticed is the phantom wants to drift left after taking off.  I can steady it and it still wants to drift.  It drifts probably about 5-7 feet but after flying it for a few minutes it seems to work itself out.  I always calibrate the compass before flight, and make sure I have at least 8 satelites.  When I purchased it i did recalibrate the compass and IMU(??) but was a little concerned that it wants to drift a little.

Is this common or can someone explain to me what else I may be able to do?  I love the phantom and it is so much fun to fly!  I ended up reprogramming it in NAZA Mode and like it so much better.  I'm surprised it doesn't come shipped in NAZA M.

Thanks everyone!!
Ryan
2015-2-22
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Pretty normal. Mine does the same thing. Takes it a few to get its bearings and hold position.  I just push it up high enough where the drift won't hurt anything and it will hold and move back in a few seconds. Nothing to worry about as far as I know.
2015-2-22
Use props
johnwarr.live
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah the tolerance for GPS hold is within 1 metre vertical and 2.5 meters horizontal, so its normal to drift a little in a hover.
2015-2-22
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for your reply, John!  That makes me feel a little better.  How often do people hook up their DJI to the computer and recalibrate that way?  was just concerned because it always wants to go left.  Not any other direction.  
2015-2-22
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

The key to the calibration is ensuring you are on a completely level surface and with no electronic interference around.
There are a few threads on here where users commented about a similar drift and they ended up putting paper shims underneath the legs during calibration (literally ie. 4, 5 sheets etc.) and after several attempts found their perfect spot so to speak and things leveled out great for them from there.
2015-2-22
Use props
johnwarr.live
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That would sound like an IMU calibration is needed, the IMU needs to know when its level, so make sure it is done on a completely flat surface and away from any metal.

Personally I only hook up to the PC when there is a firmware update to do.
2015-2-22
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

I callibrate my IMU and RC after a firmware update. You should also do it if the phantom acts weird. When callibrating the IMU make sure that the surface is absolutely level and that you're not on top or next to large metal or magnetic objects.
2015-2-22
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

Here are my settings on the IMU.  Everything looks ok.  There are gain settings as well.  I take it if I want the phantom to climb faster or move faster i can adjust those #'s.  I need to check the manual but is that recommended?
Screen Shot 2015-02-22 at 2.01.53 PM.png
2015-2-22
Use props
johnwarr.live
Second Officer
United Kingdom

If you hover your mouse over the ? it will tell you all about the readings.
Gains should be left alone, the basic ones are for automatic flight and hover, the attitude gains are for control, but only effect the right stick and unless you know what you are doing I would leave them alone too.
2015-2-22
Use props
rrbcap.gmail
lvl.2

United States

johnwarr.live Posted at 2015-2-23 03:21
If you hover your mouse over the ? it will tell you all about the readings.
Gains should be left alo ...

Thanks.  I started researching this and I think I'll leave it alone.  If it ain't broke don't touch it!  faster forward speed would be cool though.  I know faster speeds can be achieved in Manual mode but it's also easier to crash.  anyone to get a little more forward speed?.
2015-2-22
Use props
johnwarr.live
Second Officer
United Kingdom

For me a flying camera should be slow and as smooth as possible, but if you want to be a speed demon then go for it.
2015-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules