Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 microSD proxy filenames
3017 15 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tTownTom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1928192 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hi all!

Just got my I2 and running through all the different parts and pieces..

In my tests I find that the proxies recorded to the microSD card does not have the same names as the full res clips recorded to the CineSSD.

ie.
Full res filename: A013_C004_20170224_P0000
Proxy filename: DJI_0006

Now, this will cause major issues downstream in the editing process, shuold you want to use use proxies to make your cuts and then re-link to the full res in grade and online.. Which is pretty much the whole point of proxies (except for watching dailies..)

Have I missed something, or is it correct?

In another thread for the I1 X5R and found this reply: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=65278&pid=507534&fromuid=560830
"Cinelight can display the name of the matching mov file in the metadata view on the right hand side"

So my question is: if DJI records the correct filename as metadata, why not just use it as the actual filename?
That would help proffesional creators so, soooo much!
- so DJI, if your're eavesdropping, please concider fixing this issue!

Cheers
2017-2-24
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Yea, dealing with this issue currently myself, does add some time to organize my edits
2017-2-24
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-2-24 09:58
Yea, dealing with this issue currently myself, does add some time to organize my edits

What is your post production workflow at the moment, Gybo?
2017-2-27
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

tTownTom Posted at 2017-2-27 07:51
What is your post production workflow at the moment, Gybo?

probably not the most efficient... but it all depends on if I am using Raw/ProRes/H264.
With Raw, will first import the RAW batches into Davinci Resolve. (and having the same file name as the H264 would be nice for organizing) after importing, making color corrections / grading. export as ProRes then import to FCPX.

for H264/ProRes, I just import to FCPX.
2017-2-27
Use props
edmoore
lvl.2
Flight distance : 598150 ft
United Kingdom

Huh interesting. The Varicam35 had the same issue when it first came out.

I actually didn't realise the I2 would let you record simultaneously to SD and SSD; that's a nice touch. Totally agree it would make sense for the filenames to match.
2017-2-27
Use props
BarrettMediaCo
lvl.2
United States

Just experienced this same issue. Timecode sync would be great.
2017-2-27
Use props
Tuukkuli
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427346 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Any update to this? Is it working now? If not, PLEASE DJI make the identical DNG or Prores and h.264 or h.265 filenames a selectable option!

This would enable pro users (the drone is aimed at pros after all) to do the offline editing with proxies and online with DNG or ProRes files.

2018-2-4
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Tuukkuli Posted at 2018-2-4 14:26
Any update to this? Is it working now? If not, PLEASE DJI make the identical DNG or Prores and h.264 or h.265 filenames a selectable option!

This would enable pro users (the drone is aimed at pros after all) to do the offline editing with proxies and online with DNG or ProRes files.

Thanks for backing up this post!
-as of now this issue has not yet been resolved
2018-2-5
Use props
Dinos6
lvl.2

Russia

tTownTom Posted at 2018-2-5 08:53
Thanks for backing up this post!
-as of now this issue has not yet been resolved

Have the same issue.
I record video CinemaDNG and h264 in parallel. Copy everything to post-production office.
It is obvious that h264 should be some kind of proxy of CinemaDNG and pprod. can use it in editing process  without any additional convertation of DNG files to proxy.

But indeed names of the files are not such a big problem (you can rename it automatically with special soft).

THE MAIN PROBLEM IS: we've found out that the same one shot in h254 and in DNG does not fit by length! We've used Davinci as well. And when you put in the timeline both files you can see small
discrepancy (only 1-2 frames). Looks like DNG and h264 does not stop or start recording simultaneously.

And in that way h264 as proxy of DNG become useless thing because you will not be able to relink it normally on the final stage of editiong.
2018-2-6
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Dinos6 Posted at 2018-2-6 00:28
Have the same issue.
I record video CinemaDNG and h264 in parallel. Copy everything to post-production office.
It is obvious that h264 should be some kind of proxy of CinemaDNG and pprod. can use it in editing process  without any additional convertation of DNG files to proxy.

The really strange thing to me is that this issue is a software issue. DJI could fix this so easily and spare so many for so much extra work and time in post! -and still they have not yet cared to do so. At least make it an option for those who could benefit from such a solution.

-and as I see it: "we can't, because the CineSSDs are FAT32 formatted" is not a good enough answer. We were promised ExFAT formatting at the launch of the I2.
2018-2-6
Use props
airpix.fi/en
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427346 ft
  • >>>

Wen will we FINALLY get ExFAT and preferably matching proxies on micro SD? #DJI Please answer!!
2018-6-11
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

airpix.fi/en Posted at 2018-6-11 04:44
Wen will we FINALLY get ExFAT and preferably matching proxies on micro SD? #DJI Please answer!!

This is the single most annoying issue with the I2.
As mentioned earlier: being able to shoot proxies was one of the reasons to get this drone in the first place, however with the workflow we need to go through as of now you might as well drop proxies all together.
2018-6-11
Use props
tTownTom
lvl.2
  • >>>
Norway

Well, we are one step closer!
exFAT just got introduced to the Cine SSD-drives in the latest firmware. Now we're just waiting for the proxy-files to take on the same file names and we'll be good!
2018-8-15
Use props
Kyle Decker
lvl.1

I'm still frustrated by this issue and it seems like a very simply fix with an update. Can anyone from DJI reply about this?
2018-9-6
Use props
Flo the Pirate
lvl.4
Austria

airpix.fi/en Posted at 2018-6-11 04:44
Wen will we FINALLY get ExFAT and preferably matching proxies on micro SD? #DJI Please answer!!

it´s part of the doomed .200 update
2018-9-7
Use props
JCFP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3681729 ft
United States

Another +1 for synchronized naming. Should just be default, maybe do a pop-up window letting newbs know (with a Do not show again checkbox), and everyone's happy. For commercial shoots, where Social wants quicker deliverables and is willing to sacrifice utmost quality to get it, it'd be nice to be able to make a pass for them, then simply and easily redirect sources to CDNG/ProRes files for the bigger project's edits.
2019-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules