How Do I Hunt Down a Lost Mavic?
6103 12 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlossBandit
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1334285 ft
United States

First thing's first. I'm new to this. I watched several (probably 60+) hours of YouTube videos before my Mavic came in on what to do and how it works. I've read the manual and all documentation a few times and have Googled my question before posting.

Yesterday I got stuck in a tree about 30-50m from me about 15ft off the ground. I instantly killed the motors with a CSC but was surpristed at how hard the drone was to find using the app (given it was only a short distance from me). I guess I could have been so close to the drone that there was little movement on the map but still am not sure.

Anyway, it was concerning... because I don't know what I would have done if I'd gone down 3-400m away.

Luckily I recovered the Mavic by knocking it out of the tree. I see absolutely no signs of damage and I 100% totatlly convinced the only reason I didn't destroy the camera and gimbal was because of a plastic molded sun shade I bought on ebay for under $4. It had just come in an hour before the flight and I was trying it out for the first time.

Lesson learnerd: Don't do U-turns when flying close to trees... It's probably best to stop, hover, and adjust the yaw. I thought I was 10-15ft away from anything but the sun was bright and junk like this just happens time to time.

So my question: What do I have to do in order to find a lost Mavic withing the GO app?

Possible solution: In the event of a crash, is it as simple as adjusting the homepoint to 'me' rather than a location and walking towards the drone? I haven't had the opportuninty to try it but it seems like you could keep moving until the dots were on top of each other.

Thanks
2017-2-24
Use props
DragonFlyAerial
lvl.2
Flight distance : 658383 ft
United States

Open the go4 app on your device. No need to have the controller connected. Just above the word "disconnected" on the lower left is an icon pointing up with an arc over it. Not sure if it is supposed to be representing a paper airplane or arrow or what, but click it and swipe up on the next screen, and you can replay the entire flight, including GPS coordinates.
2017-2-24
Use props
NMURPHY4
lvl.2

United States

can you show me the thing u have that protects the gimbal?
2017-2-24
Use props
Mavicat4
lvl.1
Mexico

Does the gimbal protection allow for enough cooling air behind it, or is it like the stock one which doesn't?
2017-2-24
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Do a search on ebay for "dji mavic sun shade".
Could not get the stupid link to work.

2017-2-24
Use props
FlossBandit
lvl.2
United States

NMURPHY4 Posted at 2017-2-24 07:11
can you show me the thing u have that protects the gimbal?

Here it is. If you're interested I wouldn't recommend buying one of the cheap, locally made 3D printed ones. The one I got was plastic molded but my only option was to buy it from China and wait 2.5 weeks for shipping to NC. But like I said... it was under $4 ($3.39 with free shipping)

It seems of good quality and a little more flexible than the one that comes with your Mavic. Occasionally if I put it in sport mode or adjust the yaw quickly I will see it on the corner of the screen.... but it's worth it for the protection. Oh, and it acts as a sun shade if you're into video photography. That's what it's mainly marketed for.

Here's a link to where I bought it from. It was the cheapest seller I could find with a decent rep:

Mavic Pro Sun Shade ebay
sunshademavic.jpg
2017-2-24
Use props
FlossBandit
lvl.2
United States

Mavicat4 Posted at 2017-2-24 07:28
Does the gimbal protection allow for enough cooling air behind it, or is it like the stock one which doesn't?

Definitely seems to. The face is completely open for air.
2017-2-24
Use props
FlossBandit
lvl.2
United States

DragonFlyAerial Posted at 2017-2-24 07:07
Open the go4 app on your device. No need to have the controller connected. Just above the word "disconnected" on the lower left is an icon pointing up with an arc over it. Not sure if it is supposed to be representing a paper airplane or arrow or what, but click it and swipe up on the next screen, and you can replay the entire flight, including GPS coordinates.

Thanks for the response. I didn't see that. Additionally, I just played with it and found that you can use the compass on the map. The blue dot represents the controller/phone and it's current orientation. It seems like it'd be easier to get closer using that.
2017-2-24
Use props
Grrrrrumpy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2316 ft
United States

Lost my drone in the woods. Tried the "Find my drone" option in DJI GO 4 app. Discovered later it was several hundred yards off.  Using the flight record, I used the GPS coordinates to get close. These are +/- 30 feet. It was about 30 feet off. Using an app called "My Elevation", I determined elevation from where I took off, added the height last recorded and then when I got to the coordinates that were last listed on flight log, I was able to calculate how high the drone was in the tree. That really helped to narrow it down. Mine was 45' up.
2017-8-7
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I attached a Tile Bluetooth tracker to mine. It allowed me to pinpoint it it after I used find my drone + flight history + the video before the crash. Without the Tile I would have been very close to finding it, but  it would have been impossible to locate it exactly.
2017-8-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

NO - you cannot change home point to "me" - this you can do whilst in flight and it will return to you (or the RC) but if it has crashed then it cannot come to you anymore.
2017-8-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i believe the blue dot is the gps location of yr device - the red dot is the location of yr drone (or should be, but sometimes is not:-( Check out FIND MY DRONE feature im menu on first screen (with black and white image of spark or mavic) this feature is typically more accurate for the last known position - it sometimes differs from the last location you are looking at on yr screen when the drone dissappears.
2017-8-7
Use props
anthonyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 486381 ft
New Zealand

Just turn on the beeping in find my drone and once you get close enough to hear it it's much easier to find.  The beeping is pretty loud too.
2017-8-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules