iPad Mini 4 - YES DO IT.
18131 76 2017-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
luvtofly
lvl.1

United States

I bought this one for my mini 4 http://www.mavmount.com/  you can turn the mount so it doesn't hide the controller.
2017-3-1
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-1 12:21
I had been using a phone for the 6 weeks since my Mavic arrived, it worked fine. I spent most of that time getting a handle on how to fly the thing. When I started concentrating on filming (What I bought it for), I realized how inadequate the size was and the location of the screen under the controls: I found it to be a fight to accurately frame the scene while flying and filming.

After considering a lot of options, including waiting for CrystalSky, I bought an Ipad Mini 4 (128GB) and a tabilet support designed for it: BOY WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!

First drone, Mavic, should arrive next week. Lots to absorb.

So I can use my iPad mini, that doesn't have a cell connection, if I connect it to my Samsung 6 phone with the hotspot feature?

If not, do I need to buy a new iPad with the cellar feature?

2017-3-1
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-1 12:21
I had been using a phone for the 6 weeks since my Mavic arrived, it worked fine. I spent most of that time getting a handle on how to fly the thing. When I started concentrating on filming (What I bought it for), I realized how inadequate the size was and the location of the screen under the controls: I found it to be a fight to accurately frame the scene while flying and filming.

After considering a lot of options, including waiting for CrystalSky, I bought an Ipad Mini 4 (128GB) and a tabilet support designed for it: BOY WHAT AN IMPROVEMENT!

So I can use my iPad mini, that doesn't have a cell connection, if I connect it to my Samsung 6 phone with the hotspot feature?

If not, do I need to buy a new iPad with the cellar feature?

2017-3-1
Use props
luvtofly
lvl.1

United States

If you know where your going to fly just cache the maps on your mini you just wont be able to use some of the features like follow me .
2017-3-2
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-3-1 17:56

Yes. Presuming your carrier contract supports hotspoting and since you are in the US I find it hard to believe it does not. I know your phone does.

It only makes sense to pay for one cellular connection, your phone will support multiple connections - I know I've done it. And I can still answer or place calls.

2017-3-2
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-3-1 17:56

I think the only thing you'll be lacking is GPS on your iPad, which means you can't use things like Follow Me, and you can't reset the Home Point to your current location.
2017-3-2
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-2 19:06
I think the only thing you'll be lacking is GPS on your iPad, which means you can't use things like Follow Me, and you can't reset the Home Point to your current location.

Thanks for the responses. The drone arrived yesterday so I will start playing with it this weekend.

This iPad does not have a gps, and I wanted those features, so I may buy another ipad with the cellular. And pay the monthly fee for the connection..

To clarify, the controller does have the gps and the follow me etc can be used, but people like attaching an iPad or phone for a better screen display and access to the app features?
2017-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sdpaddler50 Posted at 2017-3-3 11:06
Thanks for the responses. The drone arrived yesterday so I will start playing with it this weekend.

This iPad does not have a gps, and I wanted those features, so I may buy another ipad with the cellular. And pay the monthly fee for the connection..

Your device needs a GPS to use Follow me.
2017-3-3
Use props
TMitch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4049 ft
United States

Airobotix Posted at 2017-2-24 11:27
The iPad mini 4 fits in the Mavic controller arms no problem at al.

Hmmm...my iPad mini 4 does not fit in the controller arms, and don't want to force it. Any photos or tips on your setup?
2017-3-3
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I put some study into this before I bought my WiFi only iPad and the cellular version of all current iPad's do NOT have an actual GPS module: You can confirm this on Apple's iPad comparison page under sensors. The iPads with cellular use triangulation of cell tower signal strength to approximate location (Shades of the stingray units police use) but it's not actual GPS - The upshot being that you need to be in proximity of more than one cell tower for it to work: No towers no location. Also it's much less accurate than actual GPS.

I was not too concerned about the 'Follow Me' option since it's, for all intents and purposes, not legal under current FAA rules. And 'Active Track' does essentially the same thing without the need for a device to follow.

In any case if you want true GPS you need a phone or CrystalSky.
2017-3-3
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tried to link a picture - failed
2017-3-3
Use props
TMitch
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4049 ft
United States

TMitch Posted at 2017-3-3 15:03
Hmmm...my iPad mini 4 does not fit in the controller arms, and don't want to force it. Any photos or tips on your setup?

Found the answer:
2017-3-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-3 15:16
I put some study into this before I bought my WiFi only iPad and the cellular version of all current iPad's do NOT have an actual GPS module: You can confirm this on Apple's iPad comparison page under sensors. The iPads with cellular use triangulation of cell tower signal strength to approximate location (Shades of the stingray units police use) but it's not actual GPS - The upshot being that you need to be in proximity of more than one cell tower for it to work: No towers no location. Also it's much less accurate than actual GPS.

I was not too concerned about the 'Follow Me' option since it's, for all intents and purposes, not legal under current FAA rules. And 'Active Track' does essentially the same thing without the need for a device to follow.

Are you absolutely sure about that? I thought they have real GPS. The article below says that the confusion a lot of people have is that Apple lists the iPads as having "Assisted GPS." That means they can get assistance from cellular signals, but does not mean they don't have real GPS as well. The iPad Mini 4 web page lists it as having "Assisted GPS and GLONASS." It would seem really odd to me if Apple were to include a chip that works with GLONASS, but not "real" GPS.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/ipad-real-gps/
2017-3-3
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

dbsanders Posted at 2017-2-25 17:22
There is an interesting one on Etsy that doesn't block the screen.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/487009541/dji-mavic-7-8-tablet-adapter

This is the one I use with the mini 4. You can see the controller screen, it is lightweight and strong (carbon fiber tubes), it has a built in lanyard clip, it moves the screen up to a more comfortable viewing position, it keeps the controller grips in a narrower configuration, and works great with the hoodivision shade. Now putting the mini 4 in the controller feels ackward and makes my neck hurt after a couple of flights.
2017-3-3
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
United States

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-3 15:16

Really? I have a Mini 4 with wifi/cellular (I never activated cell service on it) and I live in a very rural area with no cell phone service (0 bars). On the Go4 map screen I can see when I move from room to room in my house. I thought it was the law that all cellular devices have a gps chip.
2017-3-3
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Grumps Posted at 2017-3-3 23:19
Really? I have a Mini 4 with wifi/cellular (I never activated cell service on it) and I live in a very rural area with no cell phone service (0 bars). On the Go4 map screen I can see when I move from room to room in my house. I thought it was the law that all cellular devices have a gps chip.

I'm going by what I could find on Apple's site. I could not find anywhere that said any of the ipads have a GPS chip, why they would not list it among the sensors if it does is beyond me: But who knows.

I am mystified how my WiFi only mini 4 does exactly what you are describing: I was trying to get a handle on DJI's standalone waypoint app last night and it not only located me exactly where I was in the house but I was in the basement. Again with a WiFi only version that we can all agree does NOT have a gps chip.

In any case I bought what I bought and it works great: I can recommend it - which was where this began.
2017-3-4
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-3 20:44
Are you absolutely sure about that? I thought they have real GPS. The article below says that the confusion a lot of people have is that Apple lists the iPads as having "Assisted GPS." That means they can get assistance from cellular signals, but does not mean they don't have real GPS as well. The iPad Mini 4 web page lists it as having "Assisted GPS and GLONASS." It would seem really odd to me if Apple were to include a chip that works with GLONASS, but not "real" GPS.

http://ipadpilotnews.com/2015/12/ipad-real-gps/

Here's what I was looking at. I could find nowhere in the list of features that there is a GPS chip.  While here Apples specifically says that the iPhones have "GPS and GLONASS"

I'm basing what I wrote on that. I used that information to choose a WiFi only mini 4. Why Apple would specifically list GPS in the iPhone comparo and not the iPad I can make no sense of. But I very well could be wrong.

Whatever! Someone was asking for advice and I gave mine based on my similar decision. My Mini 4 WiFi does everything I want to do, including being ably to figure out exactly where it is on the face of the earth (Read my last post.). So I'm happy with it and can recommend it.

Please give you best informed recommendation if you haven't already.
2017-3-4
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

clicked on the wrong post.
2017-3-4
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-4 07:09
Here's what I was looking at. I could find nowhere in the list of features that there is a GPS chip.  While here Apples specifically says that the iPhones have "GPS and GLONASS"

I'm basing what I wrote on that. I used that information to choose a WiFi only mini 4. Why Apple would specifically list GPS in the iPhone comparo and not the iPad I can make no sense of. But I very well could be wrong.

I wasn't trying to attack you. Merely pointing out that you appear to be wrong.

“Please give you best informed recommendation if you haven't already.”

Well, the OP of this thread was not actually asking for any advice or a recommendation, so I'm under no obligation to give any recommendation. However, I do feel that by pointing out false information when I see it, I actually am helping other people make an informed decision.
2017-3-4
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

WingedEye is incorrect. Also incorrect on FollwMe feature being against FAA Regulations when used for hobby/recreational purposes.
2017-3-4
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Some fair points being made by everyone on my post.  Please accept that people also do make mistakes and this is the right forum to point it out and offence should not be taken.

Today I managed to burn 2 batteries on the Mavic using my iPad Mini 4 Wifi.  I didn't try the follow me mode as I am not sure why I would, but I did use the Active Tracking and also Point of Interest.  Just an update on my first impressions, the iPad 4 is a game changer, with or without Cellular.

This was my film today.
2017-3-4
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-4 09:16
WingedEye is incorrect. Also incorrect on FollwMe feature being against FAA Regulations when used for hobby/recreational purposes.

Incorrect about what? That apple page I linked to does not mention a GPS capability for any iPad while it does for iPhones(?). Or what? I took the time and effort to respond and offered substantive proof (The manufacturer). I'm wrong because you say so?

I may be wrong about whatever but try and use words to tell me why.

As far as FPV I know I'm right because I took and passed the FAA Unmanned Pilot certification test.  (I Aced the test.)

In studying for it I read the law itself, the FAA study guide and two other study guides.  You can choose to believe whatever you want but recreational use is more limited than commercial. And FPV comes under "Flying a drone in a reckless manner"  as described in what I read in FAA material. But I guess they know no more than Apple.

I have read a couple of strings on this site that want to  parse FAA language to say that it's advisory or a guideline: That's pure delusion.

Google  "SkyPan" and read about a guy who thought he would interpret the law and ask forgiveness later.

So: Please do fly FPV. Hopefully I'll catch that article when it's published.
2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-4 09:16

http://thedronegirl.com/2016/08/ ... on-view-prohibited/
2017-3-4
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-4 09:55
Incorrect about what? That apple page I linked to does not mention a GPS capability for any iPad while it does for iPhones(?). Or what? I took the time and effort to respond and offered substantive proof (The manufacturer). I'm wrong because you say so?

As I mentioned in my first post, Assisted GPS and GLONASS is listed in the spec sheet: http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini-4/specs/

And I'm not sure why you're talking about FPV all of a sudden. It was the Follow Me mode that you said is not legal under current FAA rules.
2017-3-4
Use props
Sdpaddler50
lvl.1
United States

Here is my .02

I use iPads for boat navigation, to supplememt the on board nav systems which are very accuartate and used for offshore ocean nav.

The wifi, non cellular mini iPad always showed my positin about 100 ft. Off the actual location..i.e., it didn't work when I tried to use it gps nav.

I therefore bought the large size iPad which has an integral gps,  and I can tell you that my position is now dead on, within a couple feet, and I have compared it to my boats nav systems to verify. But, the large size iPad is too big for a controller so it can't be used.

I am therefore still skeptical a mini can do it, but perhaps the minis with cell do have a gps? Or, it is wireless tower controlled as others have stated..I don't know.

Still trying to figure this stuff out, but it has been fun. I got the Mavic yesterday, and getting ready to power it up soon with a Samsung phone which I know has an integral gps device..again tested against my boats nav system.

I do want to eventually use an iPad.

2017-3-4
Use props
Flipperman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4224925 ft
United Kingdom

Check out what Arthur Brutter makes, excellent quality gear. I have the Trackimo mount and the remote stick 'cover'. Debating getting the iPad Mini holder - but think I need the iPad mini 4 rather than the 2 I have now - for the anti-reflective screen...

2017-3-5
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
United States

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-4 09:55

This is from the Apple site when you click on "more about assisted gps and glonass":

The wifi-only devices use wifi node IDs for location services.  Apple maintains its own database of wifi nodes and approximate locations, and a wifi-only device can use the wifi node hardware address to look up its approximate location in that database.

A wifi+cellular device has a GPS receiver in it, and can directly receive GPS/GLONASS satelitte timing signals from which it can compute a location fix.

assisted GPS simple means that the native GPS function can be augmented by various other tools to improve the speed with with a location fix can be obtained.  They can use wifi-node location data, and cellular tower signal data to speed up the computation of the location fix.  But they can also work in the complete absence of any wifi nodes or cellular towers.  A wifi+cellular iPad can obtain a GPS fix in the middle of the Gobi desert if needed, as long as it has open access to the sky overhead to receive satellite data.

assisted just means that - additional features that, when available, can or may assist the native GPS system.  The aGPS system still has a fully functional standalone GPS receiver and GPS location calculation algortithms.
Posted on Nov 12, 2013 7:21 AM
2017-3-8
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Can you guys recommend or tell me the cable needed for the ipad mini 4 , i am about to buy one ,   just wanted to get the right cable for it from the start,   does it have a name like  lightning 300mm left hand angled or something ?
2017-3-9
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MikeQView Posted at 2017-3-9 02:59
Can you guys recommend or tell me the cable needed for the ipad mini 4 , i am about to buy one ,   just wanted to get the right cable for it from the start,   does it have a name like  lightning 300mm left hand angled or something ?

I bought this one that works, would have been better slightly shorter, but I folded it and used Electrical tape to make it look like a shorter cable.  e.g. wrapped the tape around the cable full length.  Makes it a nice strong little cable though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prod ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-3-9
Use props
adverselection
lvl.2
Flight distance : 172523 ft
United States

Are you guys sure that the DJI app even get's it's GPS information from the wifi or cellular device it's using? It would seem to me that the app would be getting GPS data from the drone and not the app. From the app's perspective, it's a question of maps, but from a GPS data standpoint, that info would come from the drone. Can't imagine GPS accuracy within the device would matter....just taking GPS data from drone and displaying on a map that is either there or it isn't???

Have been considering using the iPad mini 4 and using my iPhone as Hot Spot. I have NEVER done that, but I know people do all the time. Does that work well for others? Emphasis on WELL. No loss of connection and/or lag between phone and iPad mini?
2017-3-14
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

iPad mini 4 is awesome with the Mavic. Check out PGY Tech holder.
2017-3-18
Use props
molyvos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74610 ft
Greece

@MikeQView

The cable below is a perfect fit.

0.2m Right Angled Lightning Sync and Charge Cable

cable.jpg
2017-3-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

adverselection Posted at 2017-3-14 04:28
Are you guys sure that the DJI app even get's it's GPS information from the wifi or cellular device it's using? It would seem to me that the app would be getting GPS data from the drone and not the app. From the app's perspective, it's a question of maps, but from a GPS data standpoint, that info would come from the drone. Can't imagine GPS accuracy within the device would matter....just taking GPS data from drone and displaying on a map that is either there or it isn't???

Have been considering using the iPad mini 4 and using my iPhone as Hot Spot. I have NEVER done that, but I know people do all the time. Does that work well for others? Emphasis on WELL. No loss of connection and/or lag between phone and iPad mini?

The app uses the mobile device's GPS for only a few purposes, but not for the core flight control of the Mavic.

A few things that need GPS on your mobile device are:

- Follow Me mode (different from Active Track)
- Resetting the Home Point to your current location
- Showing your position on the live map
2017-3-18
Use props
simranverma
New

India

N64 Games
2018-5-20
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-24 10:58
I am going through the same situation, went through two phones and two tablets, however I am waiting for crystal sky to see how the price compares.
Regards,
-d.

I use the 5.5" CS with this mount, it fits the Spark, MP, MPP and the MA,. I like it because it puts the device up and in front of the RC, it also provides a clip that allows the CS to be directly above the RC if desired.

CS Mavic Mount

2018-5-20
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am an Android phone user myself but did some research here on these forums a year or so ago and I never felt like Android was the recommended platform from users here. What I have read was that it has always been and always will be  Apple for compatibility with DJI products. Not sure who recommended Android but that was some seriously bad advice.  Perhaps they  will buy your Android devices from you?!?!  ~ I run an iPad mini 2 (wife's) but really want the mini 4 when I can afford one. I too will go refirb/ebay 16GB when the time is right.

I also use a tablet adapter and also a sun hood and it works fantastic.
2018-5-20
Use props
GaRz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1035653 ft
United States

Has anyone seen a significant difference between using an Ipad mini 2 and an Ipad mini 4?  I am getting app crashes and lag from my mini 2.  I was going try some suggestions after work today of turning off the cache.
2018-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules