Phantom 3 vs 4
2007 17 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I have posted previously about wanting to get aftermarket attachments for the phantom I end up buying.  What type of trade off am I looking at as far as the camera pciture quality goes?  I originally wanted a 4 PRO, but now that I know only the 3 and the commercial products can take aftermarket cameras, I want to get a 3 first.  The other trade off is I like that in the 4 PRO and possibly the 4 there is better collision awareness.  Given all of this, from the experience of the community, what would be the best decision for me to go for?
2017-2-25
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

In order to answer that, you would have to tell us what you want a drone to do for you? What do you plan to use it for and what are the most important factors for you?
2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Neither the Phantom 3 or Phantom 4 series can use aftermarket camera. Only the Phantom 2 and Phantom 1 could use 3rd party cameras and FPV systems. If you really want to have a set up that allows aftermarket cameras and use the Go app for FPV, then a DIY unit with a standalone flight controller, like the A3, with LIghtbridge 2 would be what you need.
2017-2-25
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-25 21:46
Neither the Phantom 3 or Phantom 4 series can use aftermarket camera. Only the Phantom 2 and Phantom 1 could use 3rd party cameras and FPV systems. If you really want to have a set up that allows aftermarket cameras and use the Go app for FPV, then a DIY unit with a standalone flight controller, like the A3, with LIghtbridge 2 would be what you need.

Understood, so if this is the case, will DJI be making their own scanners like LiDar, and remote sensing cameras, since you are making it so difficult to do after-market mods?  Thank you!
2017-2-26
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-25 21:45
In order to answer that, you would have to tell us what you want a drone to do for you? What do you plan to use it for and what are the most important factors for you?

I want to do scanning like LiDar, and sensing like remote sensing and thermal imaging.  Since DJI is making it so difficult to do this, they should start making their own devices like this or they will lose me to more open frameworks.
2017-2-26
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

akarrick99 Posted at 2017-2-26 13:30
I want to do scanning like LiDar, and sensing like remote sensing and thermal imaging.  Since DJI is making it so difficult to do this, they should start making their own devices like this or they will lose me to more open frameworks.

Hmm, I doubt DJI will make those devices, and I doubt they care if you go elsewhere, their primary business is in mass-market consumer playthings. There are plenty of other makers catering to your needs, and if you can afford a Lidar unit, you can afford a much more suitable drone to carry it.
2017-2-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

akarrick99 Posted at 2017-2-26 13:29
Understood, so if this is the case, will DJI be making their own scanners like LiDar, and remote sensing cameras, since you are making it so difficult to do after-market mods?  Thank you!

The Phantom series was not meant to be used for industrial use, like those sensors are typically used for. You're better off getting something like the M200, which is an industrial platform with SDK options that would allow for use to use sensors like LiDar.

http://www.dji.com/matrice-200-series

It's even mentioned in the Onboard SDK description in it's developer section below. It's not a matter of making things "difficult" but rather there is a better suited aircraft for this kind of task. In reality, a Phantom won't cut it for industrial use.
2017-2-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-26 20:15
Hmm, I doubt DJI will make those devices, and I doubt they care if you go elsewhere, their primary business is in mass-market consumer playthings. There are plenty of other makers catering to your needs, and if you can afford a Lidar unit, you can afford a much more suitable drone to carry it.

I'm not sure if sensors like LiDar will be in DJI's future, but the Onboard SDK on the newer industrial platforms and latest flight controllers would let you configure a LiDar sensor onto the right rig.
2017-2-27
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

Seems like you are looking for something besides a Phantom 3 or 4. If you are looking for camera quality, and you have a budget, then I would go for the Phantom 4 Pro. It takes amazing video and stills.
2017-2-27
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-27 16:17
The Phantom series was not meant to be used for industrial use, like those sensors are typically used for. You're better off getting something like the M200, which is an industrial platform with SDK options that would allow for use to use sensors like LiDar.

This is very helpful, thank you.  I just have to save my coin.
2017-2-27
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-27 16:19
I'm not sure if sensors like LiDar will be in DJI's future, but the Onboard SDK on the newer industrial platforms and latest flight controllers would let you configure a LiDar sensor onto the right rig.

Is the Onboard SDK only available through the commercial products?  Also, can the phantom  3 or 4 API's be tapped into and modded?
2017-2-27
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

Maxxgold Posted at 2017-2-27 17:08
Seems like you are looking for something besides a Phantom 3 or 4. If you are looking for camera quality, and you have a budget, then I would go for the Phantom 4 Pro. It takes amazing video and stills.

For the first phase, this is probably what I will end up doing. thanks
2017-2-27
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-27 16:17

Yup maybe after I have been flying my P3S a year I might look at that Matrice. Simply wicked.

For AK I decided on the P3S and got an Argtek antenna kit.  The reason is I am new to droning. So let's get all the newbie errors out of the way first.
I have gotten some stunning pics and I know that I can get better at my video's and photo's with even more practice.

My P3S is my crash and learn drone as I call it.  It's very robust and forgiving to fly and I fly in the mountains where wind conditions can be tricky.

I'm also flying at high altitudes, regularly 5000 to over 10000 ft or 3100m.  
2017-2-27
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

akarrick99 Posted at 2017-2-27 22:20
Is the Onboard SDK only available through the commercial products?  Also, can the phantom  3 or 4 API's be tapped into and modded?

The Onboard SDK is only available in products like the M100, M200, M210, M600/Pro, the A3 flight controller, and the N3 flight controller. The Inspires, Phantom 3s and 4s only have access to Mobile SDK, which is only good for creating apps and not configuring to 3rd party sensors. Onboard offers more in depth programing in comparison to the Mobile SDK.
2017-2-27
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-27 23:10
The Onboard SDK is only available in products like the M100, M200, M210, M600/Pro, the A3 flight controller, and the N3 flight controller. The Inspires, Phantom 3s and 4s only have access to Mobile SDK, which is only good for creating apps and not configuring to 3rd party sensors. Onboard offers more in depth programing in comparison to the Mobile SDK.

Thank you This helps a lot
2017-2-28
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

akarrick99 Posted at 2017-2-28 00:06
Thank you This helps a lot

Just reading these posts,I think you would be better of custom building your own rig. Then you can change the rig/drone to suit you.
2017-2-28
Use props
akarrick99
lvl.1

United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-28 04:02
Just reading these posts,I think you would be better of custom building your own rig. Then you can change the rig/drone to suit you.

Would that still be as cost effective though?  Where is the best place to learn how to design/build my own rig?  Thanks
2017-2-28
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

akarrick99 Posted at 2017-2-28 11:56
Would that still be as cost effective though?  Where is the best place to learn how to design/build my own rig?  Thanks

I am a hobbyist and I custom build quads. Yes, it can be cost effective to build your own drone, but the reality is that it will not be cost effective on your first project.

Your initial setup, and purchasing of the necessary parts will put you over budget on your first build. You will also realize after your first builds, that you will want options that you didn't know about at the time, so you will want a second build.

If you like to build things then give it a go, and in the long run you will spend less money, but be prepared to spend a lot of time and money initially getting everything how you like it.

2017-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules