Warp or Jello effect on X5s with Olympus 45mm Lens
4736 33 2017-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans46442081
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28136 ft
United States

Hi, have anyone tried out the Olympus 45mm on the X5s? I just tried the Olympus 45mm with the X5s today and noticed the warping motion or the jello effect.  At first, I thought the inspire 2  motor vibration or slight wind causing this jello effect.  However, the footage, while the bird on the ground without any motor spinning, showed similar jello effect.  I have tried on DJI 15mm and Olympus 12mm lenses, and there may be minimal warp, but much more difficult to identify.  Anyone has similar experience or luck with the Olympus 45mm?
By the way, I did try to calibrate the IMU and the Gimbal and the Lens, but no improvement.

Thanks.

2017-2-25
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Here is a sample video with the Jello/Warping effect while the on the ground without the motor spinning.
(Notice the sidewalk and the green grass).  There is a slight drift also.  Please ignore the refocus action.  

2017-2-26
Use props
Mark Guille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Linh9 Posted at 2017-2-26 03:18
Here is a sample video with the Jello/Warping effect while the on the ground without the motor spinning.
(Notice the sidewalk and the green grass).  There is a slight drift also.  Please ignore the refocus action.  
Sample Video

The first thing that springs to mind would be camera setting and ND filters.
What were your settings here? You should be aiming at getting your shutter speed as close to double your fps as you can (24 fps - 1/50sec). Sometimes this is only possible by fitting an ND filter.
I hope this helps, keep us posted.

Mark G.
2017-2-26
Use props
fanse186c04e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Linh9 Posted at 2017-2-26 03:18
Sample Video

Yes Mark i think also.

I also thinks, the 45mm is a"long" lens very close to objects, so you are "virtual" zoomed in, and than you see everything.

And do you see it also when you fly?, the rotation of the props are slow and generate more vibration than when flying.
Did you see it also when flying?
If yes, a "long" lens do show that Jello way faster then with a 12mm lens.
Or ballance your props....
Let me know,

Vince
2017-2-26
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi Linh9,

First, did you balance the Olympus 45mm lens as recommended by DJI with 2 balancing rings A and B? It needs a total of 14g at its front in order to perfectly balance the gimbal.

Second, as Mark suggested, have you tried closing down the aperture and get the shutter speed as close to double the fps to verify whether the jello effect is gone?

Henry
2017-2-27
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-2-27 05:53
Hi Linh9,

First, did you balance the Olympus 45mm lens as recommended by DJI with 2 balancing rings A and B? It needs a total of 14g at its front in order to perfectly balance the gimbal.

Thank you everyone for your help.  
The DJI 2 balancing rings seemed like back order; thus, I am balancing with a filter and another ring, it seemed to balance fine.
I did what Mark suggested, set my shutter speed down to 1/60s, and the video on 45mm is much better.  However,  if I record in 4k at 60p and set shutter speed to 1/120s, doubling the frame rate, the jello effect is still there.  Quite sensitive.  Can I at least expect the frame to be stable at 1/120s?  
Thanks,
Linh.
2017-2-27
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-26 13:08
Yes Mark i think also.

I also thinks, the 45mm is a"long" lens very close to objects, so you are "virtual" zoomed in, and than you see everything.

Hi Vince, the Jello effect did occur both on ground and during flight.
Thanks.
2017-2-27
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-2-27 05:53
Hi Linh9,

Hi Henry, from your other post with the 45mm and X5, it seemed that you were able to get the smooth video at 1/1200s without Jello effect.  I wonder why my X5s cannot not do it even at 1/120s.
Thanks.
2017-2-27
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Wonder if you could clamp the camera somehow to keep it from being operated on by the gimbal and seeing if the jello effect is present while locked or frozen in position?  That would tell you if it is vibration related or not.

It sure is pulsating though for some reason.
2017-2-27
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-27 19:21
Wonder if you could clamp the camera somehow to keep it from being operated on by the gimbal and seeing if the jello effect is present while locked or frozen in position?  That would tell you if it is vibration related or not.

It sure is pulsating though for some reason.

I am not sure there is a way to try without activating the gimbal.

By the way, when it is on the ground without motor spinning, I can feel the vibration at the top neck where the gimbal is connected and the triangle stabilizer blade, but less (minor) vibration when touching the camera body.

Any comment from DJI support team?

Thanks.
2017-2-28
Use props
Henry M.Y.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Linh9 Posted at 2017-2-27 18:54
Hi Henry, from your other post with the 45mm and X5, it seemed that you were able to get the smooth video at 1/1200s without Jello effect.  I wonder why my X5s cannot not do it even at 1/120s.
Thanks.

Hi Linh9,

If you watch closely of my 45mm shots in 1440P or above resolution, you can see the lens wobbling throughout the shots.

I experienced similar jello effect problem as yours with my Mavic Pro too. It seems to me that the problem might have arisen from the situation the CMOS sensor signals readout (progressively from top to bottom of the sensor, or vice versa) in close synchronising with the small gimbal vibration, and appeared to the naked eyes as jello in frequency of a few Hz. After adding an ND filter, I have never encountered the jello effect problem again. I have no idea on whether the added weight of the ND filter (which might have balanced the Mavic Pro gimbal) or the slowing down of shutter speed (that might have changed the CMOS sensor readout frequency) had indeed cured my jello effect problem.

Just want to share some thoughts of mine. Hope they are useful to you.

Have you ever tried putting up small rubber bands to slightly squeeze the LHS and the RHS gimbal rubber dampers in order to change their dampening property? Just a thought comes across my mind. It may appear odd, but if this indeed solves the problem, I won't mind if I were you.

Henry
2017-2-28
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Linh9 Posted at 2017-2-28 04:11
I am not sure there is a way to try without activating the gimbal.

By the way, when it is on the ground without motor spinning, I can feel the vibration at the top neck where the gimbal is connected and the triangle stabilizer blade, but less (minor) vibration when touching the camera body.

Sounds like you found the root problem of the vibration.  Could that be the cooling fan imbalance if it has one up there?  I read about the matter of the P4 (Pro?) having the fan blades striking the sides of the case and the fix was to wedge the fan with a bit of foam stuffed in from the side.

I'd still find a way to clamp it down to test it and eliminate if it were the camera alone.  Maybe the rubber bands mentioned above would help to figure it out.
2017-2-28
Use props
fanse186c04e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Linh9 Posted at 2017-2-27 18:54
Thanks.

I think you need do the props and also balance the camera and gimbal with "car-weel" weights, we do that and works great, no jello!
2017-2-28
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Henry M.Y. Posted at 2017-2-28 05:51
Hi Linh9,

If you watch closely of my 45mm shots in 1440P or above resolution, you can see the lens wobbling throughout the shots.

Thank you for the insight of the problem.  I will try the rubber bands on the next fight and let you know.

I wonder if anyone out there have better success on X5s with the 45mm lens recording in 4k@60p (or 30p) with 1/120s or greater shutter speed without Jello/Warp effect.  It seemed that NOT too many owners have reported this issue on the X5s with 45mm lens, and I just want to be sure that I am not the only few with the issue, and this may be an actual problem with my gimbal.  For the price, I hope it is not too much to expect the gimbal to be able to perform stable at least at shutter speed of 1/120s with 4k@60P video especially with the supported lens (the 45mm).  
Thanks,
Linh.
2017-3-1
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-28 12:26
I think you need do the props and also balance the camera and gimbal with "car-weel" weights, we do that and works great, no jello!

Thanks Vince.  This does occur without the props spinning, so not sure if balance the props will help.  So far, I was able to balance the lens with a filter and up converter ring.  The balance seemed very good, the lens does not sway one way or the other when after flipping or moving.  
Linh.
2017-3-1
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-2-28 07:02
Sounds like you found the root problem of the vibration.  Could that be the cooling fan imbalance if it has one up there?  I read about the matter of the P4 (Pro?) having the fan blades striking the sides of the case and the fix was to wedge the fan with a bit of foam stuffed in from the side.

I'd still find a way to clamp it down to test it and eliminate if it were the camera alone.  Maybe the rubber bands mentioned above would help to figure it out.

Actually, when on the ground, there is no vibration below the drone body above the 3 rubber suspenders at al.  The micro vibration came from the top gimbal motor directly at the gimbal connector, causing the triangle piece below the 3 rubber suspenders to have the micro vibration also.
Thanks.
2017-3-1
Use props
墨老爷子
DJI R&D Squad

China

it seems there is something wrong with the IMU of the gimbal , i suggest you exchanging for a new one...
2017-3-1
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

墨老爷子 Posted at 2017-3-1 06:20
it seems there is something wrong with the IMU of the gimbal , i suggest you exchanging for a new one...

Hi DJI R&D Squad, before I open a support case for the exchange, I just want to confirm that recording 4k@30p or 60p at 1/120s shutter speed with the Olympus 45mm lens with Jello/Warp effect is not normal?
Thank you for your help.
Linh.
2017-3-1
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Linh9 Posted at 2017-3-1 14:18
Hi DJI R&D Squad, before I open a support case for the exchange, I just want to confirm that recording 4k@30p or 60p at 1/120s shutter speed with the Olympus 45mm lens with Jello/Warp effect is not normal?
Thank you for your help.
Linh.

To add, this jello effect happened while on the ground with props motors off with no vibration from drone body, and the 45mm lens is balanced as expected.  When switching to 1/60s shutter speed, the jello is not easily noticiable or gone.
2017-3-1
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Good news, finally received the X5s gimbal replacement.  Looked like DJI send a different one instead of reparing my existing one.  No more jello effect, even at high shutter speed with the Olympus 45mm lens.  Thank you DJI.
2017-4-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Linh9 Posted at 2017-4-8 17:00
Good news, finally received the X5s gimbal replacement.  Looked like DJI send a different one instead of reparing my existing one.  No more jello effect, even at high shutter speed with the Olympus 45mm lens.  Thank you DJI.

Glad to hear all is well!
2017-4-8
Use props
Conrad Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484806 ft
Canada

Hey, I have see this on my I2 45mm combo but only when in sport mode or on a windy day... YES.. balancing the lens to be perfectly flt before turning on the bird is super important as well as shutter speed.
2017-4-9
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

Conrad Jay Posted at 2017-4-9 12:17
Hey, I have see this on my I2 45mm combo but only when in sport mode or on a windy day... YES.. balancing the lens to be perfectly flt before turning on the bird is super important as well as shutter speed.

Thanks.  Got mine fixed with a replacement unit.
2017-4-10
Use props
George Sun
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10502 ft
Greece

Hi Linh9
Can you plz tell me if your new gimbal has micro vibration (from the top gimbal motor at the gimbal connector)? or did the vibration stop?
Was the vibration the problem?
Because I too have vibrations and Jello effect on X5s with Olympus 45mm Lens.
Plz Help.
2017-5-31
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I get this kind of effect on the inspire 1 if I don't balance the lens. I now use a variable ND filter (from amazon baout £20) Hope that might help you too?
2017-6-1
Use props
redoliver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1698117 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Check the 45mm footage here, there no jello effect, although I used it without any balancing ring and didn't calibrate the lens. But it seems to be not very sharp or without focus.

What can be the reason? Shall I calibrate the lens? Or maybe reason is f1.8?

Please comment

2017-6-2
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

redoliver Posted at 2017-6-2 06:43
Check the 45mm footage here, there no jello effect, although I used it without any balancing ring and didn't calibrate the lens. But it seems to be not very sharp or without focus.

Calibration is a must, but Oly 45mm is NOT the sharpest lens at all.
2017-6-2
Use props
ski
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-6-2 20:14
Calibration is a must, but Oly 45mm is NOT the sharpest lens at all.

are you confusing the 45mm with the 14-42mm? Because the 45mm is pretty sharp when it comes to the list of approved X5 lenses
2017-6-2
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ski Posted at 2017-6-2 22:19
are you confusing the 45mm with the 14-42mm? Because the 45mm is pretty sharp when it comes to the list of approved X5 lenses

No, I'm not confusing Olympus 45mm prime lens with Olympus 14-42 "pancake" zoom lens. Perhaps the sharpness criteria we're using are somewhat different. Anyway, 45mm Oly lens is a nice addition to my collection, although it is not the best performer. It's simply the longest lens X5 camera and gimbal can handle without major modifications.
2017-6-3
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

George Sun Posted at 2017-5-31 12:15
Hi Linh9
Can you plz tell me if your new gimbal has micro vibration (from the top gimbal motor at the gimbal connector)? or did the vibration stop?
Was the vibration the problem?

The micro vibration is still there, but much less.  Try to record in manual mode, Shutter at 60 to see if the Jello effect would stop.  Mine original one got Jello for any shutter speed above 100.  If so, may want to send in for replacement.

Good luck!
2017-6-8
Use props
Linh9
lvl.2
United States

redoliver Posted at 2017-6-2 06:43

If not done so, try to set your aperture above 5.6 - 8.0 to see if you can get a clear picture.  If not better, something else must be off.
2017-6-8
Use props
simtom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10365945 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Greetings,
Today I received my 45mm lens and I was wondering if I should keep the “decoration ring” on or off?
2018-3-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

simtom Posted at 2018-3-19 15:55
Greetings,
Today I received my 45mm lens and I was wondering if I should keep the “decoration ring” on or off?

Not sure what do you call "decoration ring"... Whatever, balancing is much more important, and Oly 45 mm need some weight on front when used with X5S camera. I'm using B&W neutral density filter, which is made of brass.
2018-3-19
Use props
simtom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10365945 ft
  • >>>

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-3-19 23:40
Not sure what do you call "decoration ring"... Whatever, balancing is much more important, and Oly 45 mm need some weight on front when used with X5S camera. I'm using B&W neutral density filter, which is made of brass.

Yes, that's what it's called in the manual. It's the plastic ring on the front that you can remove.
2018-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules