Beach Flights, Special Precautions?
1137 18 2017-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bennettmike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 227585 ft
United States

Have you flown over water? Does it make you nervious?
Do you take any extra precautions? i've seen some floats and other water gear, but I'm more worried about the salt.
Thoughts, Comments?

2017-2-27
Use props
Bennettmike
lvl.2
United States

I've flown my Phantom 1 at the beach and never had any problem, but the mavic has more tight spots and looks harder to clean.
2017-2-27
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

sweet im a 28 year kidney transplant recipient
2017-2-27
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Frist rule, Don't fly over crowd. 2nd, Disable VPS, Bring a landing pad to take off and land on and watch for nasty birds espaecially in mating season (:  SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND!
2017-2-27
Use props
braddahjosh808
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1868376 ft
  • >>>
United States

I live in Hawaii and fly over the ocean all the time without hesitation. I don't disable any sensors. The only fear I have of flying at the beach is all the other drones flying in the same airspace. Check out my video of North Shore Hawaii:

2017-2-27
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

I fly over everything and everyone at the beach

https://youtu.be/d16i90wHqJI
2017-2-27
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

wow i wanna go to hawaii now lol
2017-2-27
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-2-27 19:11
I fly over everything and everyone at the beach

https://youtu.be/d16i90wHqJI

Yes you can but we are trying to keep flying WITHOUT THE GOVERNMENT BREATHING OVER OUR NECK.

SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND and every accident that goes on the news will bring more rules and laws that will AFFECT every dronist enjoying what we like to do.
2017-2-27
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
United Kingdom

Don't get too close to the water and be careful with the birds. On my first flight over a beach I had to bring the mavic back as a seagull got to close too it in a threatening way...
2017-2-27
Use props
Bennettmike
lvl.2
United States

braddahjosh808 Posted at 2017-2-27 18:22
I live in Hawaii and fly over the ocean all the time without hesitation. I don't disable any sensors. The only fear I have of flying at the beach is all the other drones flying in the same airspace. Check out my video of North Shore Hawaii: https://youtu.be/STvW6nWne08

Very cool!! Yeah our beach isn't all that pretty! About how many flight or DAYs did it take to get all that amazing footage?
2017-3-3
Use props
Bennettmike
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-27 20:50
Yes you can but we are trying to keep flying WITHOUT THE GOVERNMENT BREATHING OVER OUR NECK.

SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND and every accident that goes on the news will bring more rules and laws that will AFFECT every dronist enjoying what we like to do.

I agree safety first, and with so many no fly zones popping up all the time it is hard not to fly over the open water.
2017-3-3
Use props
Bennettmike
lvl.2
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-2-27 22:07
Don't get too close to the water and be careful with the birds. On my first flight over a beach I had to bring the mavic back as a seagull got to close too it in a threatening way...

Yeah we cal them Gee you elevens.  I've  had a few close calls but never any problems.
2017-3-3
Use props
Canes76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, it does scare when I put her up in the air and also over water, but most of my footage has been over water, so knock on wood, I have not had any issues.  IT DID SCARE me a little when the warning "RTH because of wind" popped up!!!

I was flying the other day and saw some birds that also made me a little nervous...

2017-3-3
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

dronist Posted at 2017-2-27 18:22
Frist rule, Don't fly over crowd. 2nd, Disable VPS, Bring a landing pad to take off and land on and watch for nasty birds espaecially in mating season (:  SAFETY FIRST, FUN SECOND!

My impression (could be wrong)  is that VPS struggles with glassy, undifferentiated surfaces. So I have turned it off when I fly around a local canal, although not always (lately I just pay close attention and am ready to push the left stick forward sharpish). I'd assume that flying where there's waves and the surface isn't still, would mean you'd not have to concern yourself with turning off VPS, but would love to hear from someone from DJI as to whether that's right.
2017-3-3
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

You did Active Track from inside your car?
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bennettmike Posted at 2017-3-3 10:58
I agree safety first, and with so many no fly zones popping up all the time it is hard not to fly over the open water.

Thx...It is a virtue when we make a mistake, on purpose or not and take responsibilty for it.

Look at this thread... https://www.engadget.com/2017/02 ... cious-30-days-jail/

Some idiots are advocating the opposite. I guess they will learn from their mistakes not after paying stiff fines and long jail term.
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-3-3 12:13
My impression (could be wrong)  is that VPS struggles with glassy, undifferentiated surfaces. So I have turned it off when I fly around a local canal, although not always (lately I just pay close attention and am ready to push the left stick forward sharpish). I'd assume that flying where there's waves and the surface isn't still, would mean you'd not have to concern yourself with turning off VPS, but would love to hear from someone from DJI as to whether that's right.

You are right... If you are flying below 20' over water you should turn it off because of the reasons you mentioned. Above 20' it doesn't make a difference for the VPS!
2017-3-3
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Sea air will eat metal, some nice pics here of salt damage from flying near the coast. Check the humidity of your area.

http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... rrosionx-etc.72262/

As for the rest of it, get low, get fast, have some fun !
2017-3-3
Use props
michaeln416
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595157 ft
Canada

I was flying low (~6m)over still glassy water today. At one point I noticed it dropping slowly all on its own and assumed that it was the VPS getting thrown off by the water. I didn't want to disable it so instead I pushed up higher to 8m and didn't have that problem again.
2017-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules