Pan and Tilt with 1 Remote
1919 8 2017-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Natureshooter
lvl.1
United States

I am looking to see if any of you know of a function or way to control both pan and tilt while using only the master controller (not using the touchscreen of your mobile device).  I would like to let my Inspire 2 hover in place while fluidly being able to control the gimbal.

Example scenario:  I shoot an outdoor tv show and want to hover above a fish hitting a topwater bait with the camera pointing straight down.  I would then use the joysticks to control the yaw and pan of the gimbal to follow the fish up to the boat or back up to the tv host standing on the boat.  

I could see where this would be useful in lots of situations, but the only info I could find on anything close to this would be in Tap to Fly, but I don't want the drone actually moving or flying in a direction.  Ideally I could then switch the remote back to drone control.  

I know you can do this by touching the screen of your ipad, but the joystick controls should be smoother and eliminate my hand on the screen blocking me trying to see and follow the fish, etc.
2017-2-27
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Practice using the left stick for panning and the wheel for tilt. This has been covered before, there is no other way.

Mark G.
2017-2-27
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
Second Officer
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It is possible to set up the C1 button such that if you hold in on the button and have the gimbal in Free mode, you can then use the left knob to pan the camera.  Of course when you release C1 the left knob returns to tilt mode.  It is not possible to tilt and pan at the same time.

I suggest that for the type of shot you are planning you need a second remote controller and operator.  Depending on the lens you are using, if any of the work starts or ends as closeups, you will also need a third person to pull focus.  That is the way the professionals do this type of shot.

2017-2-27
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Bottom line for the Best shots. Get a 2nd rc  for slave , then use that to operate the camera, you could even put the master on a table right in front of you then go to hover then pick up the slave and you have full control of just the camera ( depending on the environment , don't start throwing stones people )   Even better is to have someone else fly and then you control the camera.

I have tried to do it well by myself but just can't beat having two operators.

donnie
2017-2-28
Use props
Natureshooter
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the replies. I know this would be best with a second controller and operator.  I am a one man band when filming these tv shows. It is a weekly tv show, so you are talking a pretty large expense of adding a second operator when it is not just a cool shot to do with a buddy while out playing around.  

With this said, the function is built into Tap to Fly.  A suggestion may be with firmware to enable double clicking both C1 and C2 buttons at the same time would enable this functionality.  When you repeat this sequence you return to controlling the aircraft.

I ask all this because this is a professional series drone.  With that said, there is production value that is budgeted between movies and hobbyist.  I would imagine being able to use both joysticks would allow more accuracy than a click wheel.

Thanks for your opinions.  Donnie, that is also a viable option. Maybe DJI can consider this firmware sequencing.
2017-2-28
Use props
raven4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-2-27 20:13
Practice using the left stick for panning and the wheel for tilt. This has been covered before, there is no other way.

Did a search but can't find a reference. How do I control gimbal pan with the left stick?
2017-2-28
Use props
Natureshooter
lvl.1
United States

Raven, I think he is referring to just using the left stick to move the drone itself and not the gimbal.
2017-2-28
Use props
raven4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 86194 ft
United States

Natureshooter Posted at 2017-2-28 09:48
Raven, I think he is referring to just using the left stick to move the drone itself and not the gimbal.

ahhh...LOL...thanx,
-Bill
2017-2-28
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

raven4 Posted at 2017-2-28 09:10
Did a search but can't find a reference. How do I control gimbal pan with the left stick?

If you pan the aircraft with the gimbal in FPV mode, the camera will pan with it.
2017-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules