Any point in buying
1459 19 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
yankee.coach.ho
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Ive been flying photographic consumer drones since they first arrived in Britain...For An old bloke like me i get a great deal of pleasure taking photos of the sea and landscapes that without the Phantom 4 i now have I would never have taken.
However, I now find a great deal of opposition from Drone haters. I personaly take great care to fly within the rules set down and definetly never fly in an irresponsible manner.
Im seriously begining to wonder what the future of hobby consumer drones / flying cameras have in Britain.
2017-2-28
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try to be very discrete about it. Use smaller quieter quadcopters, do your filming in the early morning or late afternoon when there likely fewer people around.  Don't stay in one area longer than you need to, and be ready to pack up and go at moment notice. discrete is the key.
2017-2-28
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

I have never been harassed.  I dress appropriately, I usually take my wife with me, I'm friendly if anyone comes by and has questions. I never fly near anyone's house, I never follow mine or anyone else's kids.  I never fly near any school unless it's the weekend.  I threw in that last one because somewhere in these forums some guy was following his kid to school, and had an issue with a mom.  He couldn't understand what the big deal was, so a lot of people bring the unwanted attention from others on themselves.  

One of my professors always harped on the point that intelligence can be measured by someone understanding how their actions may affect those around them.  I have found this to very true. They guy following his kid to school with his drone doesn't get it. He is clueless of how his actions could be perceived.

I think if anyone ever did bother me I would just move on to another location. As far as the hobby being affected negatively, I'm fine with that because  most of the time when I fly I never even see anyone else ,besides the people that came with me.
2017-2-28
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

I also like to fly out in the middle of nowhere so no one can bother me. Sometimes I fly around my house but it's cool with my neighbors.
2017-2-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

You just need to buy a much larger drone, and take authority of the airways which surround you. Haha

Be that guy. . . ;-)
Everyone looks up to.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The thread title suggests you are perhaps considering a second drone purchase... ;-)

Yes, for sure, definitely do.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-28
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

It's a shame drones get vilified the way they do. I think it's partially the name 'drone' and its covert military associations that causes people to freak out. There's a lot of ignorance out there. My father expressed that some people have "privacy" concerns. I told him drones have wide angle lenses and that, if they're not right up close to you, you effectively look like an ant. Then there are overblown safety and legal concerns. I posted some of my recent pics and videos from the mountains here in Taiwan in some FB groups and got trolled by moral busy bodies "concerned" that I was breaking laws (I wasn't). However, when I posted on a Chinese language forum, no one reacted that way. I wonder if this is just a western thing.
2017-2-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-28 20:18
It's a shame drones get vilified the way they do. I think it's partially the name 'drone' and its covert military associations that causes people to freak out. There's a lot of ignorance out there. My father expressed that some people have "privacy" concerns. I told him drones have wide angle lenses and that, if they're not right up close to you, you effectively look like an ant. Then there are overblown safety and legal concerns. I posted some of my recent pics and videos from the mountains here in Taiwan in some FB groups and got trolled by moral busy bodies "concerned" that I was breaking laws (I wasn't). However, when I posted on a Chinese language forum, no one reacted that way. I wonder if this is just a western thing.

So, are you saying Taiwan is Western and China is Eastern? Despite being only about 120 kilometres apart.
2017-2-28
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-28 20:33
So, are you saying Taiwan is Western and China is Eastern? Despite being only about 120 kilometres apart.

No. That's not what I said at all. I said people in western countries seem to have more concerns about drones than people in Asia.
To clarify, I posted some photos and videos I took of places in Taiwan on some facebook groups and forums. Reactions were positive all around. However, there were some people in the English language groups who said what I was doing was illegal and dangerous. No one in the Chinese language forums said any such thing.  I live in Taiwan. It's the farthest thing from western.
2017-2-28
Use props
Johnnyv
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2798707 ft
Canada

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-28 20:49
No. That's not what I said at all. I said people in western countries seem to have more concerns about drones than people in Asia.
To clarify, I posted some photos and videos I took of places in Taiwan on some facebook groups and forums. Reactions were positive all around. However, there were some people in the English language groups who said what I was doing was illegal and dangerous. No one in the Chinese language forums said any such thing.  I live in Taiwan. It's the farthest thing from western.

I think what people may be saying is that in North America there are restrictions on when, where and how high you fly. Not sure about Taiwan.
2017-3-1
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I guess it will depend on who is making the decisions, if it's the so called progressives then it's history, will be banned within 2 years except for so called Pro pilots paying lots of cash to the CAA. If the more intelligent thinkers get involved then we'll be ok. Could do with some clarification about congested areas etc, but apart from that the rules seem to be ok for now. FPV needs looking at.

If you're flying within the law then no one has the right to tell you stop or even approach you about it. If they are polite help educate them by letting them see the screen etc. If they're rude tell them ..... well I'm sure you know what to say. If they continue to pester you call the police and report a section 5 public order offence (causing alarm, distress or harassment). Although if you've caused them alarm or distress with your drone they could do you as well ..... stupid laws
2017-3-1
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-1 12:46
I guess it will depend on who is making the decisions, if it's the so called progressives then it's history, will be banned within 2 years except for so called Pro pilots paying lots of cash to the CAA. If the more intelligent thinkers get involved then we'll be ok. Could do with some clarification about congested areas etc, but apart from that the rules seem to be ok for now. FPV needs looking at.

If you're flying within the law then no one has the right to tell you stop or even approach you about it. If they are polite help educate them by letting them see the screen etc. If they're rude tell them ..... well I'm sure you know what to say. If they continue to pester you call the police and report a section 5 public order offence (causing alarm, distress or harassment). Although if you've caused them alarm or distress with your drone they could do you as well ..... stupid laws

The UK has become very restrictive and the Police do not help. I have been at the end of it when taking photographs with a Pro DSLR in London. The Police were questioning me about the use of my camera in public. I had every right to take photo's. I did not push it but know of other togs who have and they have had a hard time and were even arrested.
There are the laws and then there is the public perception of what is the law fed by (anti) social media. I have had people tell me it is an offence to take photo's of children in public without parental consent, when that is not the case. they will insist it's the law. The same thing will prevail concerning flying drones legally but outside of someone elses perception of what is allowed from their reading of social media and the tabloids.
2017-3-1
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-1 14:02
The UK has become very restrictive and the Police do not help. I have been at the end of it when taking photographs with a Pro DSLR in London. The Police were questioning me about the use of my camera in public. I had every right to take photo's. I did not push it but know of other togs who have and they have had a hard time and were even arrested.
There are the laws and then there is the public perception of what is the law fed by (anti) social media. I have had people tell me it is an offence to take photo's of children in public without parental consent, when that is not the case. they will insist it's the law. The same thing will prevail concerning flying drones legally but outside of someone elses perception of what is allowed from their reading of social media and the tabloids.

Your post kind of highlights my cultural observations. Watch the older Digital Rev YouTube photography channel and see host Kai take street photography pics right up close to people in Hong Kong. No one said anything to him. Notice the careful distance he keeps from people now that he's back in the UK. Westerners have much greater perceptions of personal space and react much more to anything which may infringe on it. I also agree "perception" of what people view as acceptable is key.
2017-3-2
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-1 12:46

I like your comment about "progressives." Yes, authoritarianism is contained in their hippie exterior. I advocate for personal consequences for those who do harm but not collective punishment for others who act responsibly. State authority and restrictions on freedom should be curtailed whenever possible.
2017-3-2
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

In the USA, seems the news needs sensational filler material and drones are what they like to attack and vilify.  The National Park Service was the first to ban them, and cities and counties follow their lead with sundry excuses for their ordinance bans: "If NPS can do it in vast vacant areas, so can we in populated areas."

Privacy and trespassing are others which lead to some thinking it is okay to blast them out of the sky with a shotgun with little repercussion - if any - from authorities.  Some even cheer them getting shot down,  so the news picks up those too and sensationalizes them.  Then the copycats come out with their guns too until the city bans them somehow.

Could be since China manufactures maybe 95% of the drones made they look the other way.  USA might have a couple of high-end drone makers, but not enough to make it commonplace and acceptable.

It ain't easy folks, and maybe will not get any better in the future as it sure isn't like it was in 2012 when few laws and ordinances were around banning them.  Until the federal and local authorities get used to them and accept them, and maybe open up areas to fly in instead of outright bans, I fear it will get even more restricted and the first caller to the cops complaining will result in you getting shut down under some drummed-up nuisance, privacy, or trespassing ordinance.

Fwiw, I'm in a HOA area and will not take it above fence line as I know the neighbors will complain to the HOA and that will be it for any drone launch.  Most of the HOA committee are the "Get off my lawn!" curmudgeons and bats that will complain to no end and issue a new HOA rule.  Really annoys me the next house is two story and they have surveillance cameras pointing everywhere under their eves and into my yard, but drone cameras are far worse in their opinion.  Surveillance cameras are okay, but cameras on drones are a privacy no-no.  Go figger.

2017-3-2
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-2 01:34
I like your comment about "progressives." Yes, authoritarianism is contained in their hippie exterior. I advocate for personal consequences for those who do harm but not collective punishment for others who act responsibly. State authority and restrictions on freedom should be curtailed whenever possible.

The revolution has started, and I'll be filming it with my drone

We ignored them for a long time because they just looked like as you say hippies, but now they're becoming dangerous and getting some power. Time to put a stop that!
2017-3-3
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry too much about the 'drone haters'.  You've got just as much right to enjoy your hobby in a safe and unobtrusive way as they have to enjoy their interests, that is FACT.  I have first hand experience of drone use being completely misunderstood and people in authority way over stepping the line when it comes to enforcing the rules.  Aerial photography is a perfectly safe hobby and allows people access to a degree of creativity that would not normally be possible.  At the moment the CAA in the UK are being quite decent regarding what they are prepared to allow although there are a few areas that desperately need clarification.
2017-3-4
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I am very much the same as the OP except that so far (touch wood) I have never had a problem with drone haters. i fly in public areas within the law, and I have as much right to be there as anyone else providing my presence is not causing a demonstrable nuisance to other users of the area.  Possibly being an old person with sticks has an effect on others I do not know, but I intend to defend my right to fly within the law, and thus where it is permissable.
I do find though that that seems to be the common theme, there are so many street level lawyers who "know" that what you are doing is wrong by flying there. Perhaps it would be sueful for the CAA/FAA to produce a card rather like the Royal Photographic Society does, that summarises the law and the references to where the full details are found. As a pro photographer I sued the card on a number of occasions, some of which were with the police.
2017-3-4
Use props
helidan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You could print out the Drone Code and carry that with you.  It gives an easy to follow summary of what you can and can't do, gives references to distances, altitudes etc.  
2017-3-4
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Dronesmeg is correct.  There are people who come out with some absurd claims.  One guy claimed it is illegal anywhere in the world to fly at the heights we fly at here in Taiwan.
Now there are places that have height limits of 60m as in Taipei City, and some tourist areas have drones banned.  
This happened because there is always some idiot that has been flying there drone at fast speeds then hit people.  However where I live we can fly unrestricted.
So funny to see some people go around making claims about what they think they know about laws.  When I had some twat shrill about I would be hitting aircraft where I fly I asked what aircraft?
I fly in a passenger aircraft banned area as the airports are in cities near sea level.  So it's fun to post a pic of say some place 4000ft below my drone.  Sends some of the drone police into hissy fits.
2017-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules