Having problems downloading videos and pics to my pc
1744 19 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fireside
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56325 ft
United States

Flying the Mavic has been a dream. Problem I'm having is downloading the videos and pics to my pc. I have followed all the directions best I can without any luck. Any suggestions?
2017-2-28
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Perhaps you could start by describing specifically what you've tried so far and what problems you experienced?
2017-2-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

All you need to do is pull the memory card out of the drone, take it to your computer, and copy (download) the files to your computer where you can view, edit, share, etc. them.
2017-2-28
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-2-28 14:55
All you need to do is pull the memory card out of the drone, take it to your computer, and copy (download) the files to your computer where you can view, edit, share, etc. them.

Hands down!
2017-2-28
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

It means...You gave the right answer!

Do you need a certificate too?
2017-2-28
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

Thanks guys. Looks like I could be working with a rough group here. Did get the hands down though.

Okay. First step done. Was able to couple right off Mavic to my pc, and downloading VLC since my Media Player did not support 4K's. That all works now.

Next problem: What editing program would you suggest?.
2017-3-2
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

Needs some help here
2017-3-2
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-28 18:11
It means...You gave the right answer!  

Do you need a certificate too?

Okay. First step done. Was able to couple right off Mavic to my pc, and downloading VLC since my Media Player did not support 4K's. That all works now.

2017-3-2
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1077618 ft
  • >>>
United States

I Use and recommend Adobe's Premiere Pro. It's only available as a subscription with the rest of Adobe's Pro apps. There is also Adobe Premiere Elements 15  which is ~$80, it's their consumer (fewer features) version, it will edit 4K.

That said, if your media player won't play 4k it probably means your first issue is to get a newer more powerful computer. The software does you no good if you don't have the hardware.
2017-3-3
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

There's also a combined Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements if you need something to edit your stills as well.
2017-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Most video editing platforms offer a feature that uses using lower-res proxies of full resolution video for editing on slower machines, Adobe Premiere and Apple's Final Cut Pro offer proxy editing, for instance. I'm using Premiere since I have an Adobe Cloud subscription via work and I don't have to pay for it. ;)
2017-3-3
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-3 07:35
Most video editing platforms offer a feature that uses using lower-res proxies of full resolution video for editing on slower machines, Adobe Premiere and Apple's Final Cut Pro offer proxy editing, for instance. I'm using Premiere since I have an Adobe Cloud subscription via work and I don;t have to pay for it. ;)

Tx. At work I use to have access to a lot more before retiring also. Winged Eye mentioned about faster machine. I have tried HitFlim Pro and noticed they do require extremely high resolution. I have been working with DJI too on this. My pc is one my son put together several years and is fairly quick and should be okay. He's a manager for Google maps and has lot more knowledge about these things than me. I'm old time.
Oh, by the way, sounds like you were in the service. Thanks for that. I'm retired fire service--over 36 years.
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Fireside Posted at 2017-3-2 23:18

You would need to upgrade to a better more expensive system to handle 4K editing. I would suggest reading about taking videos and editing before you embark on purchasing more POWER!

2017-3-3
Use props
WInged Eye
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-3 07:35
Most video editing platforms offer a feature that uses using lower-res proxies of full resolution video for editing on slower machines, Adobe Premiere and Apple's Final Cut Pro offer proxy editing, for instance. I'm using Premiere since I have an Adobe Cloud subscription via work and I don't have to pay for it. ;)

Yes, Proxies use less bandwidth but you have to have the GPU &CPU power to generate them as well as lots of memory and fast drives, preferably SSDs. What Fireside should do is look at the minimum system requirements for whatever program he's considering - I didn't want to suggest to someone to buy software only to find that their system wouldn't run it. Since his system will not even play 4K that suggests that his system will not make minimums for any software that will edit 4K.

I've been doing video and motion graphics for a long time, I build my own workstations so it's pretty straightforward to me.

I suggested Premiere Pro because I think it's the best thing out there on any platform. I have used Premiere off and on for 20 years going back to the original Premiere; before Adobe rewrote it from the ground up and added 'Pro' to the name. I've also used FCP and Avid and tried a few others.

2017-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

Oh, by the way, sounds like you were in the service. Thanks for that. I'm retired fire service--over 36 years.

Nope, not me, but let me thank you for your service!

2017-3-3
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

WInged Eye Posted at 2017-3-3 10:07
Yes, Proxies use less bandwidth but you have to have the GPU &CPU power to generate them as well as lots of memory and fast drives, preferably SSDs. What Fireside should do is look at the minimum system requirements for whatever program he's considering - I didn't want to suggest to someone to buy software only to find that their system wouldn't run it. Since his system will not even play 4K that suggests that his system will not make minimums for any software that will edit 4K.

I've been doing video and motion graphics for a long time, I build my own workstations so it's pretty straightforward to me.

It may well make sense to upgrade, but if VLC plays the 4K video fine on the OP's machine, it may be just fine.

Now that I think about it, maybe the real problem is the video format? @Fireside, are you recording .MOV or .MP4? I think MP4 is what is recommended for Windows users.
2017-3-3
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-3 15:10
It may well make sense to upgrade, but if VLC plays the 4K video fine on the OP's machine, it may be just fine.

Now that I think about it, maybe the real problem is the video format? @Fireside, are you recording .MOV or .MP4? I think MP4 is what is recommended for Windows users.

Tx Machina. I'll check and get back to you.
2017-3-3
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

Fireside Posted at 2017-3-3 18:33
Tx Machina. I'll check and get back to you.

Yes, it does work with VLC. Views it fine, but when trying to do any clean up on videos, it won't replay. Got me going
2017-3-3
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

Fireside Posted at 2017-3-3 18:34
Yes, it does work with VLC. Views it fine, but when trying to do any clean up on videos, it won't replay. Got me going

It was in MP4
2017-3-3
Use props
Fireside
lvl.1
United States

I have same issue but using Windows. Still haven't had and response from anyone. One thing I know is they use lots of RAM. I'm running 12GB and not sure if that is even enough.
2017-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules