Mavic Fan Not Running and Aircraft Overheating
11300 15 2017-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daBKLYNdoorman
lvl.1
United States

My Mavic just arrived today and... it seems like it is overheating.

I placed it on the table while I was playing with the DJI Go app when suddenly the aircraft shuts down automatically.

So I proceed to pick it up and the bottom heatsink was REALLY hot - definitely too hot.

It was not "very warm" as some have said on these forums. It was so hot that my fingers had to let go after holding it for a few seconds.

So I restart it and observe it for a few minutes. The fan never starts running.

I wait a few more minutes. The heatsink gets really hot again but there is no audible sound of the fan.

Then I proceeded to "flick" it with my fingers hoping the fan would get unstuck but that didn't help.

What should I do? Can DJI send me a replacement?

I really need this for a trip I'm planning in Mid-March.
2017-2-28
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

Yes the fan should start running within a few minutes. Thereafter it cools down considerably. You probably should contact support.  One of the mods may see this and be able to give you a hand.
2017-2-28
Use props
daBKLYNdoorman
lvl.1
United States

About the fan - yes, I expected that to happen. Except it never did.
I just tried it again. It is just sitting here on the verge of shutting down due to the heat but the fan is still off.
Frankly, I'm just unhappy that I can't fly it anytime soon. I'm sure DJI will require a long wait for a replacement. Bummer.
2017-2-28
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

daBKLYNdoorman Posted at 2017-2-28 21:32
About the fan - yes, I expected that to happen. Except it never did.
I just tried it again. It is just sitting here on the verge of shutting down due to the heat but the fan is still off.
Frankly, I'm just unhappy that I can't fly it anytime soon. I'm sure DJI will require a long wait for a replacement. Bummer.

If you recently purchased it and have a big trip coming up, you might want to just return it to the merchant.  The Mavics are becoming more available and you may be able to pick up a new one. If you send it back to DJI with shipping time, I doubt you would have it back in time.
2017-2-28
Use props
daBKLYNdoorman
lvl.1
United States

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-2-28 21:39
If you recently purchased it and have a big trip coming up, you might want to just return it to the merchant.  The Mavics are becoming more available and you may be able to pick up a new one. If you send it back to DJI with shipping time, I doubt you would have it back in time.

Hmm, interesting.
Since I'm in the 7 day return period, this is an option.
Might do that. To save the hassle.
2017-2-28
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

daBKLYNdoorman Posted at 2017-2-28 21:43
Hmm, interesting.
Since I'm in the 7 day return period, this is an option.
Might do that. To save the hassle.

Check out Best Buy frequently. They have them pop up from time to time, but they go fast. Looks like Egghead has limited quantities. Best to call. If you definitely have a fan issue best to just send it back and try to find another soon. Even if they replace the fan the heat may have damaged something. Good to hear there is a Failsafe overheat shutdown. Best of luck!
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Did you get any error message from DJI GO app?
If convenient, please make a short video of this issue for better assistance.
2017-2-28
Use props
daBKLYNdoorman
lvl.1
United States

Update:
So the fan just started running.
I had to use the sharp end of an artist compass thru the front fan grill behind the gimbal, but just enough to move a few fan blades a bit.
Then I blew hard into this fan grill and heard, what I thought, was the air causing the fan blades to spin slightly.
I powered on the aircraft and now the fan kicks in after about a minute.

My only question now is, is this a permanent solution?
And should I still send it in for a refund?
OR, if the fan stops working again the future in possibly mid-air and causing a crash, would DJI give me a replacement?
2017-3-1
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
United States

daBKLYNdoorman Posted at 2017-3-1 11:10
Update:
So the fan just started running.
I had to use the sharp end of an artist compass thru the front fan grill behind the gimbal, but just enough to move a few fan blades a bit.

If still interested in returning and getting another one, as of 2 minutes ago they are in stock at Best Buy. I wouldn't trust anything long term that has experienced overheating  far beyond the norm.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dji- ... OCK&loc=SID_5621780
2017-3-2
Use props
DesertLuddite
lvl.1
Flight distance : 307100 ft
United States

I'm experiencing the same problem with the "Aircraft core board overheated" warning do to the complete failure of the cooling fan (or perhaps whatever sensor drives it).  I've tried all possible firmware upgrades and downgrades but with no luck.  Fortunately, there seems to be enough airflow while flying that it doesn't overheat while in the air, but as soon as I'm landed and the flight airflow stops, it quickly gets to the overheated state, so I shut it down immediately upon landing.

Unfortunately, DJI online support have not been able to offer any explanation or solution, other than to send it to a repair center for evaluation.  So I've just finished packing it up and will send it in tomorrow.  I'm quite disappointed as I've only had it for around six weeks and have some travel planned soon that I had hoped to be able to film with the Mavic.  I don't have much hope that it will be returned to me any time soon, though I do hope at least that whatever the issue is, it will be covered by warranty.  We'll see.
2017-5-2
Use props
Devilrium
New
Finland

I think my 2 weeks old Mavic Pro's fan is broken. When drone is in normal position fan wont spin and it gives Core Board overheating message. When nose tilted up fan makes a hell of rattle. I'm very unhappy... 2 weeks and it brokes... f... sake.
2017-12-29
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Devilrium Posted at 2017-12-29 03:52
I think my 2 weeks old Mavic Pro's fan is broken. When drone is in normal position fan wont spin and it gives Core Board overheating message. When nose tilted up fan makes a hell of rattle. I'm very unhappy... 2 weeks and it brokes...  f... sake.

Your frustration is understandable, but if you open a case with DJI they will probably provide you with a warranty repair for free. Or, if possible, you should return it to whoever you bought it from and request an exchange.
2017-12-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I bought the Alpine White Combo from Apple last month and upon setting it up the drone suddenly shut down and I couldn't even touch it for a few minutes as it was too hot. I returned it in person to Apple the next day and received a full, immediate refund. I've since purchased the Mavic Platinum and have no issues at all. Over heating causing the AC to auto shut down in any drone is a critical error/malfunction - you need to return it straight away - DO NOT FLY IT!
2017-12-29
Use props
Devilrium
New
Finland

I've returned drone for RMA. DJI and the store were very responsive with this issue. Now waiting for the drone to get fixed or replaced.
2017-12-31
Use props
Gleave
New
Flight distance : 6529 ft
United States

I know this is an old thread, but i have posted a potential solution on other similar fan issue threads.  Weather the drone is new or crashed the fan could be obstructed by the grill that sits directly behind the camera.  To test this take off the top cover, and use something small to try to move the fan.  if it moves freely then there is something wrong with the motor or power going to the fan motor.  if it spins like there is some resistance then locate the 4 phillips screws holding down the main power connection point.  Unplug the top two ribbon cables and unplug power going to the gimbal (little black and white wire plug).  Once that is undone pull it back a bit and try to spin it now, if it spins freely the motor is getting stuck against that grill behind the camera.  What I did is i took a screwdriver and slightly bent the grill away from the center where the motor is, once you reseat the power / fan assembly check it again.  if it spins freely this should fix your issue, else your motor is burnt out. also when you have everything together and on...after the time it takes for the fan to kick on, if it doesn't, look inside and see if the fan is spinning.  if it is spinning slow or not at all then the fan will need to be replaced as well.  
2019-12-22
Use props
fans464cadd6
New

United States

My Mavic Pro is at least 4 years old and the fan stopped working and I am getting the heat warning messages and had not even been flying it.  Will the manufacturer still warranty it?
2022-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules