Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Propeller usage??
947 13 2017-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I am just curious about the amount of fly time you guys have on your props.. I read somewhere in the forums that you aren't supposed to use the props if they have more than 100 flights on them, or are over 1 year old. I could not find this anywhere in the manual for the P4.. Is this something left over from the P3 (I did not look at that manual) as I can see the screwing and unscrewing those props could wear out the threads of those props.. How long are P4's props good for?? Any ideas??

2017-3-1
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The 100 flights thing is just someone's guess.  As long as you aren't trimming hedges your props will last a long time.
2017-3-1
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-1 05:38
The 100 flights thing is just someone's guess.  As long as you aren't trimming hedges your props will last a long time.

Ahh okay. I freaked out when I read it.  I have over 60 hours logged on my P4 so... yeah..
2017-3-1
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

Like anything else DJI has made, they've not developed, or at least published, any sort of MTTF (mean time to failure) so it is anybody's guess or experience. I don't recall exactly, but know I've got over 100 flights on the old P4 and props are still rock solid, no damage or weakness that can be detected so far.
2017-3-1
Use props
RUDIMAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1145554 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Haha okay.. I had my P4 for one week, and its back because of other trouble... Replacing some props..if that is the worst case scenario i sign for it :-)   
2017-3-1
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Props are so cheap so if worried just get a couple of spare sets.
2017-3-1
Use props
fans5bd09b36
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Heard it said that the leaf spring type prop mounts weaken with repeated use...i have just ordered a set of p4pro mounts with the coil springs to replace them
2017-3-1
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

fans5bd09b36 Posted at 2017-3-1 12:18
Heard it said that the leaf spring type prop mounts weaken with repeated use...i have just ordered a set of p4pro mounts with the coil springs to replace them

I didn't see those available at the DJI store
2017-3-2
Use props
ADulay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4338766 ft
United States

I now have 300+ flights and 100 hours on the original props for my P4.

I do not remove them after flying but they were removed a few times during the first few hours that I had the machine for initial inspections.

Just checked them today and they look good with clip springs fine.

AD
2017-3-10
Use props
Focus4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

I think if you are careful when you mount and dismount the props, and don't trim the trees with them, they are likely to last indefinitely. If it securely locks into place on the hub, you should be good to go. Still, I always carry a full set of spare props...cheap insurance.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm sure you're fine for 100 flights but the props are so inexpensive I change mine sooner.
Also, even the slightest prop strike I immediately trash the prop or props. It may look fine but there could be internal damage and why risk your $1,000 aircraft over a $3 prop.

I've seen so many people flying with chewed up props.
Stewie

2017-3-10
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
United States

My props all look good still.. I keep them clean for the most part (bugs are not in short supply here in Florida)...  I haven't changed mine in a long time but I do have other available to use.. May as well I suppose.. haha..
2017-3-10
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Hi All-
Real propeller driven planes have to replace their props at a certain interval (as I was told by a pilot). The materials become fatigued, which changes the flight characteristics. I would think that would apply to our bird's props as well. After all, they are just some type of plastic. I saw a video where the author deliberately cut a portion of one prop off, to see what would happen. Initially, the bird adjusted for the discrepancy, but when enough was cut off, it became uncontrollable and flew in circles despite any input from the sticks. He only flew a few feet off the ground for this test, so no worries. However, if a chunk of a prop came off in flight, I doubt you would get your copter back (at least in one piece!)
zeldon50
2017-3-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Some real aircraft props run thousands of hours until the A&P mechanic finds too many nicks in them.  I don't think 100 hours is worrisome unless nicked or the lock system isn't secure anymore.
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules