Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Won't Focus (another case)
2644 10 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Sadly, my Mavic seems to have suffered the same fate as @sikada's in this thread: Mavic won't focus

My symptoms are exactly the same, and co-incidentally also occured after a firmware update. I also had a very simliar issue in December, which was eventually fixed by a Camera Settings Reset: Focusing Issues and Can't Re-calibrate Camera Sadly, it doesn't look like it's going to fix itself this time :-(

Here's a summary of my case:

This started last night, immediately after I updated to firmware v01.03.0500 (could be just coincidence).

It seems that the Mavic camera's focusing mechanism does not move at all when I try to AF, Tap focus, or adjust MF. It's stuck on a focus distance of about 2-3 inches. When trying various methods of focusing, the camera image does not change at all, as if it's not even trying to change focus.

The strange thing is that during the Camera Reset procedure, I can see the camera rack focus to infinity and back to macro, but then it refuses to move again after that.

Attempts to fix:
1. Using different control devices (initially Galaxy S7, then iPad Mini 4)
2. Reset Camera Settings (tried several times)
3. Uninstall and re-install DJI GO 4
4. Downgrade firmware to v01.03.0400
5. Reset to Factory Defaults
6. Re-upgrade to v01.03.0500
7. Compass calibration
8. Switch PAL/NTSC modes (and various other software switches)

About the only thing I haven't tried, yet, is an IMU calibration. I plan to try that later, although I don't hold high hopes that it will fix it.

Not looking forward to having to send my Mavic back in...

Below is a video of the behavior.

2017-3-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

I've now tried an IMU calibration but, as I thought, it didn't help. At this point, I'm just gonna keep flying the Mavic for the next few days and see if the problem magically goes away. If it doesn't, and if no-one from DJI has any other suggestions, I'll have to start an RMA request.
2017-3-3
Use props
Aaticri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213022 ft
United Kingdom

I would start the rma process anyway and get the ball rolling
2017-3-3
Use props
Aaticri
lvl.2
United Kingdom

They are not exactly fast at the moment
2017-3-3
Use props
sikada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37500 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Oh no!!  I would definitely start the process of creating a report.  For me the initial reporting there is a problem and then to get a case number and then for it to get picked up took all week.  Also once received at service it wasn't acknowledged that DJI had received it.  But a 'brand new replacement' is on its its way.  Process from reporting to getting it back took 2 weeks.  So I suppose in hind site wasn't too bad.
2017-3-3
Use props
sikada
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-3 07:13
I've now tried an IMU calibration but, as I thought, it didn't help. At this point, I'm just gonna keep flying the Mavic for the next few days and see if the problem magically goes away. If it doesn't, and if no-one from DJI has any other suggestions, I'll have to start an RMA request.

I too did this while waiting for CAS# and shipping label. Nothing seemed to fix it.  So frustrating, but I love my DJI Mavic and Osmo+.  Hope you get it all sorted soon.  Also Dj moderators on here are great and very helpful.
2017-3-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

sikada Posted at 2017-3-3 14:00
Oh no!!  I would definitely start the process of creating a report.  For me the initial reporting there is a problem and then to get a case number and then for it to get picked up took all week.  Also once received at service it wasn't acknowledged that DJI had received it.  But a 'brand new replacement' is on its its way.  Process from reporting to getting it back took 2 weeks.  So I suppose in hind site wasn't too bad.

Yeah, I decided to go ahead and send an email to support last night. What sux is that I had a specific mission (aerial survey of a property) and a weekend festival coming up in the next couple of weeks. I think it's highly unlikely I'll have a working unit by then, unless mine decides to fix itself. And I'm also currently away from my country of purchase, so I don't know what DJI is gonna ask me to do...
2017-3-3
Use props
sikada
lvl.2
  • >>>
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-3-3 21:55
Yeah, I decided to go ahead and send an email to support last night. What sux is that I had a specific mission (aerial survey of a property) and a weekend festival coming up in the next couple of weeks. I think it's highly unlikely I'll have a working unit by then, unless mine decides to fix itself. And I'm also currently away from my country of purchase, so I don't know what DJI is gonna ask me to do...

Good Luck Jason, I hope you get it back in time.  Just keep talking to the moderators on this forum and your DJI contact at DJI support once you have service/case number.  They are all really helpful.  Online chat can be interesting, though they were helpful the other day.  Try not to get frustrated while you are disappointed.
2017-3-4
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

I just finished editing my first 4k video and am in awe at how soft and blurry anything but the dead center subject is... people walking off too the side literally look like 2 fuzzy balls moving
2017-3-4
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-4 14:47
I just finished editing my first 4k video and am in awe at how soft and blurry anything but the dead center subject is... people walking off too the side literally look like 2 fuzzy balls moving

It unfortunately sounds like you have a different issue, which several others have also had. I'm not sure there's any software fix for yours, either.
2017-3-4
Use props
Aaticri
lvl.2
United Kingdom

At the end of the day dji will sort it but you need to get the ball rolling good luck
2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules