Mavic Pro Actual range
35756 24 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nakhwayusu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263737 ft
United States

Anyone tested? Any time I go past 3500ft it says weak signal.  It scares the heck out of me and I fly the bird back to me.

Spec says 7km or 4miles.  1 mile = 5860ft.  I dont even plan to fly 4miles but it'd be nice to get about 1.5 mile without weak signal warning
2017-3-3
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

i think the spec relates to its absolute best, a bit like 27mins for the battery time,  and indeed the spec for your car may say its top speed is an actual 135mph but due to environmental things like other traffic, corners and hills its not easy to achieve every day you drive,   so if the environment is totally perfect 4 miles may be achieveable,  in real everyday practice 1/4 of that should be achieveable most days,    and on good conditions 1/2 of that could be done,  careful selection of takeoff area and route then may see 3/4 of that distance,  hope that helps.
2017-3-3
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

For distance flyers there are so many things to consider,   what is the ground made of for instance trying to get long distance over certain types of rock is very difficult,  the fresnal effect, what other frequency generating devices are there on the route or able to interfere however small or slight,  the perfect orientation of antennas,  even the cleanliness,  what other devices does the user have near the transmitter,  what are the air conditions like, what is solar flare ratio for the day (Kp)  and possibly a hundred other things to consider,  each will have its effect on reducing your range from the optimum.
2017-3-3
Use props
jpno1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152057 ft
New Zealand

11KM confirmed.  https://translate.google.com.hk/ ... article/content/794
2017-3-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

5280= 1 mile
2017-3-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

The key for long distance connections is to have a clear unblocked visual line of sight to the Mavic.  Trees, houses, hills, power lines, will all limit this.
2017-3-3
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Like the others said, the surroundings play a really big part in the range. Near my house I can only go 4000ft. Out by the mountains 3 miles easy.
2017-3-3
Use props
Quadcoptercrazy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1013038 ft
United States

I've gone past 3000 feet with no problem. I never tested the max range yet.
2017-3-3
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Just did some of my longest distance flying yesterday. When I was flying with a small hill and tree in between me and the Mavic I barely made 1.5 miles. I went another direction and at 1.5 miles I was still at full reception. Really depends on your environment. 2.4GHz is a very small wavelength so it requires close to line of sight to work.
2017-3-3
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

over 3 miles in a suburban area past several neighborhoods.  Longer distance could have been achieved but battery capacity was the limiting factor.  (there was mild wind that was pushing back during the flight out). you'll need to increase altitude as you fly out. Increasing altitude does two things: ensures good LOS between antennas on your controller and the mavic and also gets the signal between the two higher above home wifi networks as distance grows between the controller/mavic. In suburban areas you'll find that you may need to go higher than 1000 feet altitude.  

Send me a PM if you want to see footage/proof of such a flight.  
2017-3-3
Use props
fans59104f86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 705367 ft
Hong Kong

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-3 09:51
over 3 miles in a suburban area past several neighborhoods.  Longer distance could have been achieved but battery capacity was the limiting factor.  (there was mild wind that was pushing back during the flight out). you'll need to increase altitude as you fly out. Increasing altitude does two things: ensures good LOS between antennas on your controller and the mavic and also gets the signal between the two higher above home wifi networks as distance grows between the controller/mavic. In suburban areas you'll find that you may need to go higher than 1000 feet altitude.  

For long distance flights its great to start going out against the wind for easier return. With P4 I went straight up to my preferred height, then switched to atti mode to see witch direction it drifts and then go the correct way into the wind.

With the mavic this is not possible to do right? Any suggestions how to determine the wind direction at preferred height?
2017-3-4
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans59104f86 Posted at 2017-3-4 02:51
For long distance flights its great to start going out against the wind for easier return. With P4 I went straight up to my preferred height, then switched to atti mode to see witch direction it drifts and then go the correct way into the wind.

With the mavic this is not possible to do right? Any suggestions how to determine the wind direction at preferred height?

Any suggestions how to determine the wind direction at preferred height?

When flying a drone I've yet to find the wind direction at altitude significantly different from that of ground level; what does change quite a bit is the wind's speed.

I don't know of a way to determine speed with any real precision, but you can get a general idea of what it's like by flying into it and seeing how much it reduces the Mavic's forward speed from its normal maximum. I suppose that you could use that approach to determine wind direction as well: just change the Mavic's heading until you find out which direction if flies slowest in, and that will be the direction the wind is coming from.
2017-3-4
Use props
Mickebjo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 705367 ft
Hong Kong

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-4 05:24

When flying a drone I've yet to find the wind direction at altitude significantly different from that of ground level; what does change quite a bit is the wind's speed.

Thanks that works I guess =)

2017-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans59104f86 Posted at 2017-3-4 02:51

Wind direction on the ground will be same as at height, all you need is an Anemometer this will give you wind direction and speed but only at ground level, will cost you about €12 great little tool..
2017-3-4
Use props
Billyboy72
New
Flight distance : 5384 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-3 09:51

I would love to fly that high but this whole area is one big NO FLY ZONE.. Who knew prior to buying it. Near my area with all the WIFI interference I have trouble going 1000 feet without drop off but I've been able in some areas to fly at 200 to 300 feet high I can get around 2500 feet out. So you're saying I need to go higher to go further then
2017-9-8
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've been out 15000 feet or just shy of 3 miles but that was standing on top of a hill with no trees, the spot i normaly fly from i get about a half a mile..
2017-9-8
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

4.46 miles here.. (7.2KM)  this was not over open area either..  typical small town america where i did that, no visual line of sight just tookt he bird way the hell up and on the way back landed her at my friends house..  49% battery landing there.   

long range runs with unmodded RC/drones is sort of random..  best days i found 2.4Ghz signal works is when low ceiling of clouds like 1000 feet up, complete over cast, flying over open water, the signal bounces off the clouds and water surface so much and with so little loss its only reliable way to get repeatable long range runs without other thinking it.   otherwise sooo much to consider with enviromental factors like soil make up, rocks, terrain, trees, density of foliage, etc etc...  fog/rain/mist can play havoc on signal.  then as mentioned before KP factor (aka solar flares/storms) those impact ghz band alot more then other bands of signals..
2017-9-8
Use props
flyhigh69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75079 ft

United States

Mickebjo Posted at 2017-3-4 05:46
Thanks that works I guess =)

Subscribe to UAV air data. ANd with UAV forcast. This app will show you any wind speed at any altitude. and gusts included. Set Location , set height, and max wind speed you prefer to safe to fly in and then it will tell you if your safe to fly or not. And after you do go up say 200 to 600 feet , fly around area you want to go then return to home base. upload sync flight (litchi app) with UAV air data and click on wind speed and it will show you a graph of different altitudes reference to wind speed. Good luck and remember to make sure all equipment is fully charged and have a back power bank for tab or phone and the controller. SAFE flying...
2018-4-10
Use props
AnthonyNYC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 452198 ft
United States

I did 3 miles today in one direction and then 3 miles back.  Mavic Pro.

Was not in sport mode and averaged 20mph.  

I really just wanted to test the range but really too risky in the event you get caught in some increased winds.

Anthony
2018-4-22
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I took mine 3.81 miles out and back so just shy of 8 miles but got over 8 miles total on the one run due to going out a bit more before landing.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-145114-1-1.html

Was in sport mode and averaged about 39mph.  Was very stressful and my heart was beating fast on the way back.  
2018-4-22
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

For best reception with stock linear antennas rule of thumb I follow is keeping the drone in a 20° - 60° angle to the RC, so the farther distance out the higher the AGA.
2018-4-22
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-4 05:24

If the mavic series had ATTI Mode one could simple fly to desired altitude then switch to ATTI mode then you could see on the screen how fast the drone is being carried by the wind...
2018-8-31
Use props
tomtom989898
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3934 ft
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-22 14:09
I took mine 3.81 miles out and back so just shy of 8 miles but got over 8 miles total on the one run due to going out a bit more before landing.  https://forum.dji.com/thread-145114-1-1.html

Was in sport mode and averaged about 39mph.  Was very stressful and my heart was beating fast on the way back.  [view_image]

Sorry for the new question, but what are using to document your flights like this?
2018-9-25
Use props
Thiago-Oliv
New
Flight distance : 1362 ft

Brazil

24km / 14,9miles total at www.youtube.com/watch?v=74oI3gHahcE
2019-4-18
Use props
cgmaxedgmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1999767 ft
  • >>>
United States

USA.  At night at about 3am, when wifi interference is low, I've seen friends mavic 2 pro's getting 19,000 feet or 3.6 miles or 5.8km horizontally one way at 45 mph sport mode.. There was very little wind.   This required manual settings to find a frequency in the 2.4 ghz range with the lowest interference. To do this go into the HD menu on the go 4 app. Return home was cancelled a few times to get 19000 ft horizontally. Finally, when the battery was below 50%, the drone was returned home. This occured at about 19,000 feet , little to no wind. Height had to be increased above limit, due to trees and buildings. Some had modified go 4 apps. Not sure if this was the reason for extra distance. Anyway, even though some can get long distance, the battery is the true limiter when all said and done. On the "return home" speed was dropped to 26 mph to reduce drag/ air friction, allowing the drone to return home with 18% battery left. It used 60 percent battery going out at max speed 45mph and used only 35% battery returning home at moderate speed 26mph. Remember, No wind, thus air friction was high on the way out and reduced on the return home due to speed.

38000 feet total out and back

38000 feet total out and back
2020-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules