Shaky/Wobly video - what can I do to fix this?
1837 14 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KaiM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 456877 ft
Germany

Hi,
today I went out for my first flight after getting the Mavic yesterday.
I upgraded the firmware to the newest version before.

Short clip of the video:

The video is very shaky/wobbly. At 0:07 it's stable for a short moment.

I contacted the support by mail but just read they are available Mo-Fr.
I was hoping to take some pictures/videos over the weekend, but it seems I'm out of luck.
Can I fix this somehow?

Best regards
Kai
--

2017-3-3
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

RE: Shaky/Wobly video - what can I do to fix this?

Hi,
today I went out for my first flight after getting the Mavic yesterday.
I upgraded the firmware to the newest version before.

Short clip of the video:

The video is very shaky/wobbly. At 0:07 it's stable for a short moment.

I contacted the support by mail but just read they are available Mo-Fr.
I was hoping to take some pictures/videos over the weekend, but it seems I'm out of luck.
Can I fix this somehow?

Best regards
Kai
--

2017-3-3
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

Sorry for posting twice. I first used a link to a mov file, that I wanted to change it to an mp4 file (but seems like you can only edit your post for 2 minutes and not longer). None of the videos work in my browser.
I can't see the videos here - Safari and Chrome tell me "missing plugin".
I don't know if you can see the videos...
Here is a direct link (if links work here in the forum): https://files.mechel.de/shake.mp4
2017-3-3
Use props
Safari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

KaiM Posted at 2017-3-3 09:54
Sorry for posting twice. I first used a link to a mov file, that I wanted to change it to an mp4 file (but seems like you can only edit your post for 2 minutes and not longer). None of the videos work in my browser.
I can't see the videos here - Safari and Chrome tell me "missing plugin".
I don't know if you can see the videos...

I can watch your video (iPad, safari). You should try to recalibrate the gimbal first and see if that fixes it. If not, do calibration of the IMU. If that fails also, try reinstalling the firmware. If at the end nothing works it should be a repair case.
Hope you fix it soon.
2017-3-3
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

Safari Posted at 2017-3-3 10:09
I can watch your video (iPad, safari). You should try to recalibrate the gimbal first and see if that fixes it. If not, do calibration of the IMU. If that fails also, try reinstalling the firmware. If at the end nothing works it should be a repair case.
Hope you fix it soon.

Thanks for your answer!

Ok, I'll try to recalibrate the gimbal and do another flight tomorrow (night here right now).
If it works, the weekend will be fun with flying and filming
If not, I'll do the IMU calibration for another test.

Thanks again for your answer
Kai
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You need reset to factory. Then put you AC without the battery outside in cold temp for at least 1/2 hour. DO NOT UPGRADE, Then bring it in and quickly do the IMU CALIB. Turn on off and then do AUTOMATIC GIMBALL CALIB. Turn on /off then do the update. Turn / off and then HAPPY FLYING!
2017-3-3
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

dronist Posted at 2017-3-3 18:56
You need reset to factory. Then put you AC without the battery outside in cold temp for at least 1/2 hour. DO NOT UPGRADE, Then bring it in and quickly do the IMU CALIB. Turn on off and then do AUTOMATIC GIMBALL CALIB. Turn on /off then do the update. Turn / off and then HAPPY FLYING!

I already upgraded to the newest version before the first flight. This step I already did at Thursday.

Is it better to calibrate the IMU if it's cold? Good to know... I put it outside on the terrace this evening for the IMU calibration. That should be cold enough.

Thanks for your answer!
2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

KaiM Posted at 2017-3-3 23:27
I already upgraded to the newest version before the first flight. This step I already did at Thursday.

Is it better to calibrate the IMU if it's cold? Good to know... I put it outside on the terrace this evening for the IMU calibration. That should be cold enough.

My pleasure, Cold calibration is recommended and I used on all my drones when I go them but follow it in the order I listed and also make sure where you do the IMU calib the surface is 100% leveled.
2017-3-3
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

Just came back home. I did not drive to a nice location, because I did not want to waste time for another day with footage for the trash.
I started with the gimbal calibration and it turned out, the gimbal calibration helped a bit. I got a more usable footage, compared to yesterday. Yesterday almost everything was for the trash.

I was trying to find out when it starts to shake. I'm not quite sure, but it seems to start/stop when I make movements.
These are the shaky moments of today: https://files.mechel.de/shake2.mp4
I wonder if this problem is completely absent in your videos? Or do you guys also have this problem in some cases?

Regarding the IMU calibration. I will try to get myself a piece of wood for outside and try to level it on the terrace and not inside - to make sure it's cold while calibrating.
2017-3-4
Use props
ChasinTail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42943 ft
United States

That looks like you should send it back in for replacement.  Shouldn't be doing that
2017-3-4
Use props
ChasinTail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42943 ft
United States

cant edit my post, but one thing to check is the gimbal.  Check whats in this video:
2017-3-4
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

Today, after all the calibrations it was bad again the whole time.

@ChasinTail: I just checked the gimbal. It is "under this clamp" like it should be, as described in the video. This was sadly not the problem. I think you are right. I have to send it back for a check/repair. Very frustrating. I hope they get it fixed. I was so looking forward to see the landscape around me from above. Seems like a have to wait longer

Thanks for the help everybody, I did appreciate it very much!!
2017-3-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

KaiM Posted at 2017-3-5 04:12
Today, after all the calibrations it was bad again the whole time.

@ChasinTail: I just checked the gimbal. It is "under this clamp" like it should be, as described in the video. This was sadly not the problem. I think you are right. I have to send it back for a check/repair. Very frustrating. I hope they get it fixed. I was so looking forward to see the landscape around me from above. Seems like a have to wait longer

Did you get in touch with our tech support at support.eu@dji.com?
They will guide you to send it in.
2017-3-5
Use props
KaiM
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-5 19:07
Did you get in touch with our tech support at ?
They will guide you to send it in.

Sorry, I wasn't online in the forum for some days.
Yes, I contacted support. They told me to send it in. I'll do that next week and hope for the best :-)
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

KaiM Posted at 2017-3-12 09:30
Sorry, I wasn't online in the forum for some days.
Yes, I contacted support. They told me to send it in. I'll do that next week and hope for the best :-)

Thank you for your update.
If you have any further query, please feel free to let me know.
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules