Fast Charger Hub
1151 18 2017-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

Hey Everyone,

I dont know if it is me but it seems like the dji charging hub charge the batteries faster. ill fly for the day and once the battery gets down to 20-15 percent and once the battery cools down i place them in the charging hub on storage mode to charge it 50 % so i dont fly with the next few days or more the batteries maintain as well. but for some reason its feels like it get that 50% charge in 15 to 20 mins.. maybe it might be me.. but if anyone have the charging hub let me you experiencing the same.... but anyways stay fly my friends

2017-3-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You don't need to put in the charging hub to discharge every time you fly. Just go the app . battery icon and then set the battery for how long you want them to start discharging. I put mine at 3 days!
2017-3-3
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-3 19:35
You don't need to put in the charging hub to discharge every time you fly. Just go the app . battery icon and then set the battery for how long you want them to start discharging. I put mine at 3 days!

I dont discharge them.. It charge them up to 50 %...
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JayOne Posted at 2017-3-4 10:58
I dont discharge them.. It charge them up to 50 %...

Sorry, misread. but it is better to charge them to 100% and set the discharge time in the app for each battery.
2017-3-4
Use props
Mike_97
lvl.1
Flight distance : 210715 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-4 11:03
Sorry, misread. but it is better to charge them to 100% and set the discharge time in the app for each battery.

Curious... from everything I read, it said to keep the batteries at 50% (the optimum 'storage' state) until you need them (then of course, charge them to 100% before flying).

Why would you charge them to 100% after flying, just to let them discharge after a few days?
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike_97 Posted at 2017-3-4 11:26
Curious... from everything I read, it said to keep the batteries at 50% (the optimum 'storage' state) until you need them (then of course, charge them to 100% before flying).

Why would you charge them to 100% after flying, just to let them discharge after a few days?

Storage meaning longer than 10 days, months etc. If you know you will be flying in the period you set in the app then it won't affect the battery life and if you need to fly on the spot they will be at 100% and if I don't fly after 3 days they will start discharging slowly and depending on how many days after the 3 day it will take less time to charge them back to 100%.

Last week  I took my P3P out to fly after 1 year of storage, updated AC/RC/ Batteries, all three batteries were discharge automatically and I just charged them 100%, put them them back on and were good to go.
2017-3-4
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Is it ok to leave batteries for a few days (4-6) in the charging hub when it is set to "charging"?
Or should they better be removed after being fully charged? I like to have them sit in the hub until I need them, being ready spontaneously.
Thank you.
2017-3-4
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-3-4 11:03

No, your battery life is measured in cycles and is also affected by high temperatures, time at high charge and time below critical voltage. The DJI intelligent monitor does an excellent job of protecting the sensitive battery chemistry from being abused by lack of knowledge and inattention but with a little bit of effort the operator can improve on it.

The best way to gain maximum life and use from your batteries is to fly them down to around 20% and when they have cooled charge them up to around 50% for storage (in a cool dry area). Just before flying top them up to 100% and while flying occasionally check the individual cell voltages for variations.

There is no point in charging a battery up to 100% and allowing the battery to discharge itself after a period of time if you know you won't be flying in that time. That is needlessly cycling the battery and keeping it fully charged for a period of time possibly at a high temperature for no benefit. (High temps and high charge together are much worse than in isolation)

DJI have carefully limited their maximum and minimum voltage/charge levels to provide a balance between long life and power output and tried to make their batteries bullet proof (not literally) but with care and understanding we can make them produce more power for longer.
2017-3-4
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2017-3-4 13:35
Is it ok to leave batteries for a few days (4-6) in the charging hub when it is set to "charging"?
Or should they better be removed after being fully charged? I like to have them sit in the hub until I need them, being ready spontaneously.
Thank you.

I don't own a hub but I understand you can set them to charge to 50%. That is the best option and before you fly, top them up. If unsure when you able to fly just keep one at 100% and top up the rest when needed. If you don't care about battery life and/or someone else is paying for them do what you like, DJIs battery management will ensure that even the most inhumane abuser of batteries will still obtain a reasonable life from their investment.
2017-3-4
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

JayOne, your observation is correct, a LiPo battery (and many other breeds) can safely accept charge at a greater rate from a low state than a high state. DJIs intelligent system takes advantage of this and so the time taken to charge from 20% to 50% is shorter than the 50% to 80% time and the last 20% takes ages by comparison.
2017-3-4
Use props
FLIDAHO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2010249 ft
United States

Great info!
I have a quick question about setting the time for a battery to auto-discharge... I heard somewhere that touching the button on the battery to see its charge level on the LEDs will "reset" the time to auto discharge it if it has not reached that time yet, therefore adding to it unintentionally. Is that true? This seems strange if so... or there may be more to it??  Please someone with experience in this area give me a quick explanation if possible.
Thanks!!
Dallas
2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-3-4 13:35
Thank you.

No, I would not leave the LIPO battery in the charging HUB unattended.

Few more steps I take.
+ Don’t charge LiPos unattended
+ Don’t puncture a LiPo cell
+  LiPos that have been involved in crashes, dropped, or sustained some kind of physical trauma may be damaged internally, and should be watched closely at the next charging
+ Store and charge batteries in a well-ventilated area
+ Charge LiPos inside of a LiPo storage pouch
+ Cover the metal pins with plastic cover to avoid accidental electric contact

2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-4 14:18
No, your battery life is measured in cycles and is also affected by high temperatures, time at high charge and time below critical voltage. The DJI intelligent monitor does an excellent job of protecting the sensitive battery chemistry from being abused by lack of knowledge and inattention but with a little bit of effort the operator can improve on it.

The best way to gain maximum life and use from your batteries is to fly them down to around 20% and when they have cooled charge them up to around 50% for storage (in a cool dry area). Just before flying top them up to 100% and while flying occasionally check the individual cell voltages for variations.

Quamera,

I did not say to charge them when they are hot. Battery needs to be cooled down before charging. Lipo batteries have around 500 cycles. I have 10 batteries in total between P4P and P4, so that is 5000 CYCLES! Since I fly almost every other day. I keep them charged so when I need to run they are ready.

If I don't fly than they will discharge to 50% on their own.

2017-3-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-4 14:18

Quamera,

I did not say to charge them when they are hot. Battery needs to be cooled down before charging. Lipo batteries have around 500 cycles. I have 10 batteries in total between P4P and P4, so that is 5000 CYCLES! Since I fly almost every other day. I keep them charged so when I need to run they are ready.

If I don't fly than they will discharge to 50% on their own.

2017-3-4
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

Quamera Posted at 2017-3-4 14:41
JayOne, your observation is correct, a LiPo battery (and many other breeds) can safely accept charge at a greater rate from a low state than a high state. DJIs intelligent system takes advantage of this and so the time taken to charge from 20% to 50% is shorter than the 50% to 80% time and the last 20% takes ages by comparison.

thanks @quamera
2017-3-7
Use props
Mike_97
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-4 12:49
Storage meaning longer than 10 days, months etc. If you know you will be flying in the period you set in the app then it won't affect the battery life and if you need to fly on the spot they will be at 100% and if I don't fly after 3 days they will start discharging slowly and depending on how many days after the 3 day it will take less time to charge them back to 100%.

Last week  I took my P3P out to fly after 1 year of storage, updated AC/RC/ Batteries, all three batteries were discharge automatically and I just charged them 100%, put them them back on and were good to go.

Thanks @dronist.  Good to know, about keeping them ready for short-notice flights.
Not for lack of want, but I don't get to fly every day - sometimes a week (kills me!).
And I pretty much schedule my flying time, so I'll keep mine at 50% until needed.
2017-3-8
Use props
Mike_97
lvl.1
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-3-4 17:25
No, I would not leave the LIPO battery in the charging HUB unattended.

Few more steps I take.

"+ Store and charge batteries in a well-ventilated area "
I go one further... HEAT is the enemy of electrical components & batteries.
So I always cool & charge my batteries AND charging brick in front of a fan.

I also end my flights by immediately turning off the power to the drone, and pulling the battery out to cool.
2017-3-8
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike_97 Posted at 2017-3-8 08:30
Thanks @dronist.  Good to know, about keeping them ready for short-notice flights.
Not for lack of want, but I don't get to fly every day - sometimes a week (kills me!).
And I pretty much schedule my flying time, so I'll keep mine at 50% until needed.

You are welcome better be safe than sorry!
2017-3-8
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike_97 Posted at 2017-3-8 08:35
"+ Store and charge batteries in a well-ventilated area "
I go one further... HEAT is the enemy of electrical components & batteries.
So I always cool & charge my batteries AND charging brick in front of a fan.

that is the way to do it.
2017-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules