How many batteries for a startup
2280 19 2015-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ndwgolf
New

United Kingdom

Guys
I will be getting a new Inspire 1 in two weeks time and would like to know how many batteries you would recommend me getting to get started.
Thanks in advance
2015-2-23
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

4 extra TB48 + 4 power-supplies is a good start  
2015-2-23
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I guess it depends on the type of flying you are doing and the location (availability of power supply). The standard battery won't last you long, so if you can achieve everything you need with 10-15mins, 1 battery will do you. If you can afford more, I'd buy as many as you can. Its much more convenient to work with more batteries. They are also intelligent to discharge to storage levels when not used for a while, so they shouldnt get damaged by lack of use.
2015-2-23
Use props
nic
lvl.1

New Zealand

I did the maths a few weeks ago, making the assumption of a 20 minute flight time per TB48 (including battery change).
I came to the conclusion that 5 batteries and 4 chargers could allow continuous shooting provided they go straight onto charge when empty. Having flown the Inspire for a week, I think you need a 6th battery to allow a 20 minute cooling period - I know they won't charge if they're over 40 degrees C, but I would prefer to wait till they are back to room temperature for battery longevity.
2015-2-23
Use props
Abe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

It really depends on your stamina. I find that 1-hour outings are fun, more than that can start to get tiring (staring up at the sky, often into the sun, fully engaged to ensure you maintain control while capturing that perfect shot).

Two batteries are perfect for 1-hour outings. You don't actually fly for a full hour of course, but there is enough prep (packing, unpacking, calibrations, adjustments, moving to new locations) that by time all is said and done you've spent an hour or more. Having said that, I have a third battery (two TB47's and one TB48), but in twenty flights, I've never used more than two.
2015-2-23
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I'd go with three, one stock and two tb48s at first  , maybe a second charger , but unless you've the need to shoot and edit more than 40 + minutes of footage every day ... You'll be a very busy guy with 6, 8, or 10 batteries , charging times , editing footage .....
And the Chargers needed to deal with them , but if your going to the out back for days where theirs no generator , power etc , then the more charged  batterys you have the better.
2015-2-24
Use props
gmhorse
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455505 ft
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-25 11:02
I'd go with three, one stock and two tb48s at first  , maybe a second charger , but unless you've th ...

I will agree that one stock battery and two additional TB 48's is a perfect starting point. That gives me around 51 minutes total flight time. The stock battery is usually charged or very close by the time I am done with the other two TB 48's. Start with 3 and add as needed IMO.
2015-2-24
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

according to this spreadsheet I'm currently looking at.. The answer is three TB48s and your stock TB47.  
2015-2-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-25 11:02
I'd go with three, one stock and two tb48s at first  , maybe a second charger , but unless you've th ...

That is what I have, one TB 47 and two TB 48's. An hour of recreational flying is plenty of time when all is said and done. How much time are you getting out of a Control Charge? I have four for my Phantom and never use more than two at a time.
2015-2-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another thought. You better start hunting down what you want. The Batteries are few and far between.
2015-2-25
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

This is for hobby, that needs to be stated as I am not using a lot of the video so long flights don't mean long editing.  Beyond batteries don't forget a larger memory card (Samsung Pro 64GB is working well in mine) and a tablet (picked up both a Samsung Tab S 8.4 and an iPad Air 2).

I of course have the one stock TB47 and purchased (3) TB47, (3) TB48, (3) chargers and a small/quiet generator (Ryobi version of the Honda).  I am hoping this will give me the ability to fly as long as I want while in the field (figure four batteries can be charging simultaneous as I finish a pack).  Beyond batteries don't forget a larger memory card (Samsung Pro 64GB is working well in mine) and a tablet (picked up both a Samsung Tab S 8.4 and an iPad Air 2 64GB for this thing).  I hate Apple but the iPad works great for this (only use for it is Inspire 1).  I have not yet flown with Tab S but from reviews it looks like will be choppy video unfortunatly.

Now I just need clear weather and free time to fly.
James
2015-2-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-25 23:07
Another thought. You better start hunting down what you want. The Batteries are few and far between.

Tb48s were instock 2/24/15 at Dronefly or The Coptershop ..
2015-2-25
Use props
gds3d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29646 ft
United States

I have one TB47 and 6 TB48.  The Copter shop was very helpful in getting the 6 TB48's.
I also got the Go Professional case.  Bulky but fits everything nicely.
2015-2-25
Use props
Chris Con
lvl.4
Flight distance : 501175 ft
United States

Coptershop.com rocks . that is all.
2015-2-25
Use props
GeneralToner
lvl.4

United States

One more thing.  Drained (4) TB47 to as low as could go by flying and then once home putting battery in Inspire and turning-on, leaving until powers off.  For the TB47 it took 1h 25 minutes to full charge, I was only able to fly (1) TB48 due to time, however same drain technique then charge took 1h 40 minutes to full charge.

1uas.com (IntelligentUAS) has TB47 in stock but no TB48.  Bought my system there, great people if you're on the east coast (picked-up in person).

James
2015-2-25
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-26 00:19

Oops , was wrong .. No TB48s at Dronefly yet my mistake . Coptershop has plenty though .
2015-2-25
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-2-26 00:19

Thanks, good to know.
2015-2-25
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

Just ordered 2 additional TB47's from 1UAS.com on Wendesday, recieved them today! Adding these, I have 3 TB47's and 1 TB48, plenty of flight time for starting out! TB48's are still out of stock mostly in the US as they have to come by sea.
2015-2-26
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

3 TB 48's and 4 TB47's in dah house...
Kept one TB48 boxed and solely as a back up if needed in a pinch only...
2 chargers at the ready as well.

Copter shop is top shelf most agreed gents!
2015-2-26
Use props
npienaar
New

South Africa

Need advice please. Charging the I-1's batteries with a 12V/220 inverter and normal supplied charger, should it be proper sine wave or will modified sine wave do?
2015-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules