GPS lost and uncontrollable: any hints to handle this situation?
850 5 2017-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scottty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 169902 ft
Germany

Hi,

I’m waiting to receive the Mavic in some days.

In several forums I read about topics describing one issue that worries me:  
GPS lost – Atti – Mavic uncontrollable.

All those similar topics in the forum have – as far as I found – some common observations:

- Sudden loss of GPS and switch to Atti mode
- The Mavic does not react on RC commands, no communication to RC, some times TBE.  
- RTH seems not to be triggered due to loss of communication.
- Then drifting until crash or even flyaway or GPS recovery after a while.  

Some have experienced 20 flights or more before this happened the first time.
Firmware 1.3.0000 and hardware mod (twisted motor wires) has improved, but not completely fixed the situation.  

I’m sure there are many Mavics out there without this issue, it’s clear that more people having problems will state them in the forum as people having no problems.

I would like to be prepared in case that happens, because I really worry about an uncontrollable Mavic.

Since 2013 I’m flying P2 and currently P3, so there is some experience. No issues on both!

This is my question:

Provided that the calibration is correct, the surrounding is uncritical, the manual is known and the flight is well prepared, is there any advise what to do in this case or at least to avoid it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

2017-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Scotty
I think you seem to understand, that there are many many more Mavic out there that are operating the way they should, and forums like this although very helpful for the most, some stuff can get wildly exaggerated, this is not to take away from those having real problems.

What you can do to prevent problems happening,?

For me preparing your AC correctly is the best way, and flying in the right environments, this can all be found in the Manual.
A tip..
When getting ready for flight, first raise your AC to 10 feet let it hover for 30 sec then fly forward 3 feet backward 3 feet left right 3 feet and yaw right yaw left, up 3 feet down 3 feet, if aircraft does what you command and remains level , then you can be sure you have a good compass good IMU and good gps reception, it takes about two minutes if something is wrong you can just land, if everything checks out your ready to fly.

Good luck..

2017-3-5
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whats really noticeable is that everyone whoever posts a complaint such as you have described is that its generally the very first flight that the pilot has flown when getting the Mavic.  I did exactly the same.  Then I thought long and hard and realised that I had rushed into the flight and hadn't even calibrated the compass.  I had planned too but I totally forgot and my Mavic drifted away from me for about 8 to 10 seconds.  It had 17-19 satellites but they were very low on the bars.  I suspect this is a common error.
2017-3-5
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

First welcome to the club...

To add to Hallmark...

Since you are P3 pilots than you are experienced with ATTI so that should not be a problem for you but remember that you can navigate the MP even if you loose APP connection. As you know practice, start slow and have fun!
2017-3-5
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you have GPS numbers > 10 (bars showing red) and its switching to ATTI then it means you are getting compass errors.
Redo the compass dance in an open grassy field free of metallic interference.
2017-3-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

If you have done well preparation before your flight as mentioned above and there's still any issue, please free free to let us know.
2017-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules