Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
H3-2D interference to 5.8GHz video.
2763 10 2015-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nig_smith
Captain

United Kingdom

Setup is a Gopro Hero 3 Black on Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal. VTX is an Immersion 250mW, all sitting on a F550 Hex.

I've noticed that there is horizontal banding on the received video.
I have changed vtx's and the interference is still there. However if I take the video from the USB port on the Gopro the interference is no longer there.
So the interference is being somehow induced onto the video feed via the gimbal or the GCU.

Has anyone else managed to cure this issue? And if so how?

Regards

Nidge
2015-2-23
Use props
tahoejmfc
lvl.1

United States

try some ferrite magnets and make sure your power wires are separate from your vtx wires.
2015-2-24
Use props
freddiebd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1891184 ft
United Kingdom

I had this problem with my H3-3D and the solution is to power the VTX not by the balance port of the lipo and tape over the top connectors of the H3-2/3D so that the GoPro is no longer being charged but the bottom two pins on the cable on the H3-2/3D should be left uncovered for video and ground.
2015-2-24
Use props
freddiebd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1891184 ft
United Kingdom

2015-2-24
Use props
nig_smith
Captain

United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips.

I'd tried the usual attack methods, using separate batteries for the vTX, gimbal, and main power system. I'd tried ferrite beads and clamps of differing permeability, none had any effect.

After digging around a bit more it seems the problem is originating from inside the GCU. I believe the problem is caused by a switching supply circuit inside the GCU and the severity changes overtime which leads me to believe it's temperature influenced.

Regards

Nidge
2015-2-25
Use props
GerryBerry2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 197 ft
Ireland

I had this problem with my H3-3D - very annoying, but fixed it using the Sellotape trick:

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19936

So simple, but yet so effective.

2015-3-17
Use props
nig_smith
Captain

United Kingdom

Thanks for the tip, Gerry. The H3-2d makes all its connections via the rear connections on the GoPro but I'm sure the principle is the same.
When I get the opportunity I'll trace the connections to isolate the supply line to the camera and see if a positive result is forthcoming.

Thanks again Gerry.

Regards

Nidge
2015-3-17
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

which video downstream do you use? The gopro internal wifi?
2015-3-17
Use props
nig_smith
Captain

United Kingdom

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-3-18 10:39
which video downstream do you use? The gopro internal wifi?

Definitely not.
I use the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Analog Video Transmitter with Fatshark Attitude goggles.

If I connect the vTX via the USB port of the GoPro the received image is clean. If I connect via the H3-2D's GCU there is interference. It's impractical to use a USB cable as this throws the gimbal off balance and makes for an untidy install.

I have attempted to present a high impedance between the gimbal and video transmitter by choking the connecting leads with ferrite beads of differing permeability without success. I can only assume the interference is occurring inside the GCU due to cross talk between the switching supply circuit for the camera and gimbal and the signal path of the video passing through to the video transmitter.

Regards

Nidge
2015-3-18
Use props
DJI-Dboy
lvl.4

Hong Kong

nig_smith@o2.co Posted at 2015-3-18 19:25
Definitely not.
I use the ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Analog Video Transmitter with Fatshark Attitude goggle ...

From the comparing, I suppose the GCU might have a malfunction, you can replace another GCU (from your dealer or friend) to confirm the issue.
2015-3-19
Use props
nig_smith
Captain

United Kingdom

DJI-Dboy Posted at 2015-3-19 18:57
From the comparing, I suppose the GCU might have a malfunction, you can replace another GCU (from  ...

That's not really an option now as the gimbal is out of warranty and discontinued and the GCU could not be obtained separately.  I only recently added the FPV equipment, and yes I've tried different video transmitters and display devices to eliminate these.

The issue was either a manufacturing or design fault as I've spoken with many others who experienced the same problem.
2015-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules