Cacheing Here maps
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anthonyg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183054 ft
United Kingdom

I'm trying to save a part of here maps to use when I'm out of range of WiFi.  I've downloaded the England map, I've tried the favourite places saving but when I get out to fly, the map is so bad,when I get the ''Home point recorded'' message, I can't tell where it has recorded it. It could be miles away, I just can't tell, so I daren't  fly incase RTH is needed.
What am I missing?
2017-3-6
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

DGI GO doesn't appear to use the HERE maps cached by the HERE App. What you need to do is use the GO app itself to browse the map of the area that you plan to fly in, scroll around the area at different resolutions, then ensure you dont turn off the phone/tablet - the cached maps disappear when the device is powered off : (

I did propose in January - see http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=396898 that we have a better mechanism for caching maps, e.g. like Google offline maps. No sign of it yet, but lets keep asking...
2017-3-6
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I want to be able to download a map at home, then fly after work in the evening. No Internet where I work and can't leave things switched on all day.
Google maps worked just fine.
2017-3-6
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-6 11:44
I want to be able to download a map at home, then fly after work in the evening. No Internet where I work and can't leave things switched on all day.
Google maps worked just fine.

If your device kept the Google maps in memory when turned off, it should be the same with the Here maps. That is device dependent if it works, not which map it is.
2017-3-6
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I tried again,  got to my flite site, no here map.
I loaded here and Google maps last night, but Here was definitely not here. I tried Google maps just to see if my tablet had cached it and there it was.
So how do I cache Here maps.
If I don't get any joy soon, this thing is for sale.
2017-3-9
Use props
kndll
Second Officer
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

WilliamM Posted at 2017-3-6 18:00
If your device kept the Google maps in memory when turned off, it should be the same with the Here maps. That is device dependent if it works, not which map it is.

Here maps will not stay cached in android like Google Maps would , don't know why  but that's how Here maps work in DJI Go App ,  device must be left on at all times ,   time for DJI to fix this mess  !
2017-3-9
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

kndll Posted at 2017-3-9 10:48
Here maps will not stay cached in android like Google Maps would , don't know why  but that's how Here maps work in DJI Go App ,  device must be left on at all times ,   time for DJI to fix this mess  !

Might be like your saying, but for me I've always needed to leave my tablet on even when we used Google maps. So for me at least, it's all the same with caching.
2017-3-9
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I didn't power off my tablet, just closed the cover and it is in sleep mode.
Google was there, Here wasn't.
So that's it ,is it? If I want to be able to use maps,albeit crap ones, I have to stay at home so I can use my WiFi.
If I want to fly anywhere else, I have no maps.
2017-3-9
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-9 11:34
I didn't power off my tablet, just closed the cover and it is in sleep mode.
Google was there, Here wasn't.
So that's it ,is it? If I want to be able to use maps,albeit crap ones, I have to stay at home so I can use my WiFi.

Or just leave your device power up, works for me with screen off but powered on.
2017-3-10
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I don't power off but Here maps doesn't  stay .
I must be missing something.
I've touched the map and held until  the four icons appear then saved it as a favourite place.
If I recall the favourite place the map appears but with basic roads on a grey background when it should be satellite map.
2017-3-10
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It sounds like you are trying to cache maps using the Here App. Ignore the Here App.

Instead, open up DJI GO / GO 4. In that view a satellite map, either by pretending to fly or by viewing a past flight. Switch it to hybrid map mode to view places and satellite view. Scroll that map around to cover the area you are going to fly in, and do it at different resoulutions. Then close the cover, but don't switch off, and the maps should be there when you are ready to fly.

It is a nuisance and I think the DJI GO app should have the facility to cache maps more easily, like Google offline maps.
2017-3-10
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

OK,  thanks for the help. I'll give it a try soon.
2017-3-10
Use props
ADulay
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4338766 ft
United States

Or, just get rid of the "Here" maps and back to something that works!

I got lucky the last few days and Google maps came back.   However, today it's back to "Here" maps so I cut the flights short today.

I have no idea why as I'm flying in the exact same spot all week.

AD
2017-3-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The other option is to use an iOS device then you get Google Maps and they can be cached. Not an ideal solution, but it works.
2017-3-10
Use props
GeoffN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 89564 ft
United Kingdom

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-9 09:35
I loaded here and Google maps last night, but Here was definitely not here. I tried Google maps just to see if my tablet had cached it and there it was.

My maps often don't appear but it really isn't a major problem.................. no need to put it up for sale!!  There should still be a blank white screen where the map should be plus there will be the plane "icon" sat in the middle (along with the "H" for home)  which you can use to guide you if necessary.   Return home will still work fine.............. well it does for me.
2017-3-11
Use props
Anthonyg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-10 21:34
The other option is to use an iOS device then you get Google Maps and they can be cached. Not an ideal solution, but it works.

That really isn't an option. Who says DJI won't  change apple maps to crap maps the day after I buy one of those.
Litchi is an option though.
2017-3-11
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It seems pretty likely that they changed DJI GO Android to Here maps to save money.

Why not switched iOS as well? Perhaps the Here maps SDK for iOS doesn't yet offer the features they need to switch iOS DJI GO to Here - yet - but once the iOS SDK is updated iOS app will likely switch to Here as well.

2017-3-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Simon Child Posted at 2017-3-11 12:39
It seems pretty likely that they changed DJI GO Android to Here maps to save money.

Why not switched iOS as well? Perhaps the Here maps SDK for iOS doesn't yet offer the features they need to switch iOS DJI GO to Here - yet - but once the iOS SDK is updated iOS app will likely switch to Here as well.

Yes, that is quite possible.
2017-3-11
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-11 13:26
Yes, that is quite possible.

I totally agree with all of you about the HERE maps. Bring them back DJI. I understand about leaving the tablet on.....what a pain. One thing I thought about trying was since my table doesn't have cellular, was to use my phone as a "Hotspot" and link my tablet wirelessly to it when I get to where I want to fly. Should work I'm thinking. I'll let you know.
2017-3-14
Use props
hanske
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298084 ft

Does apple map and here map use the same server/data?

I have an iPad mini 4, and am experiencing the same thing. I can be scrolling as long is I want on the map in the go App. But when I get out to fly, the map is still blanked out.

This was not a problem before.

I don't really know if it is relevant, but if I open the apple map app on any one of my iOS devices, it really never seems to keep any of its cached data.
But I can be on a long vacation and still use the google map app, and have enough detailed cached data to navigate around big cities.

This makes me believe it's not really a problem with the go app it self, but the map server they are using now.

As far as I know, apps on iOS are running in sand box, so it doesn't do much good either or to cash data in another app, say google map or apple map before.
The caching have to be gone in the Go app.
So it makes me wounded why apple map never keeps its cached data, in any of the apps.

Of course, the work arround is to use my iPhone as a hotspot. But unnecessary hazle.
2017-4-5
Use props
Rabe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 967907 ft
Germany

ADulay Posted at 2017-3-10 18:24
Or, just get rid of the "Here" maps and back to something that works!

I got lucky the last few days and Google maps came back.   However, today it's back to "Here" maps so I cut the flights short today.

Hello ADulay,
I have noticed this behaviour too. Sometimes I get google and most times I get HERE.
I think it depends on the sequence of switching on gps in your smartphone,  go-app, RC and AC.
Every time, I get google, I think I schould investigate this behaviour, but then I rather fly
2017-4-6
Use props
hanske
lvl.2
Flight distance : 298084 ft

The AC doesn't have any map service, and only supply's raw GPS coordinations.
The map is a cloud service via the GO app.
But if you say they keep switching (haven't noticed that my self, but you might be right) that may me the key why it is not keeping the cach.
Seems like a server problem and it switched between the two.

Again, it's a nice to have feature. But not depended on it. Just a bit anoying when I have planned a route to fly, my map is gone and I need to tether the phone to get it back
2017-4-6
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

hanske Posted at 2017-4-6 10:47
The AC doesn't have any map service, and only supply's raw GPS coordinations.
The map is a cloud service via the GO app.
But if you say they keep switching (haven't noticed that my self, but you might be right) that may me the key why it is not keeping the cach.

I read problems people are having & I;m so glad I haven't updated for 3 months & really don't see any reason to. My P3A flys straight & true, google maps loaded at home & then fly at 3 to 4 different locations daily, all within about 120 miles of each other so I haven't calibrated in 5 months either.
My neighbour got fed up, & downgraded to same app # as I  & he to is quite happy
good luck to you
2017-4-6
Use props
fans03b497c7
New

United States

I think you should try offline Google maps. I was having the same problem, but I always keep an alternative option with me. Thanks to MJ who posted such a great information on offline google maps. You can also try it at
2017-7-4
Use props
fans03b497c7
New

United States

You just need to download the location of the map you wish to travel and that's it.
http://www.howali.com/2017/07/download-use-google-maps-offline-mode-get-directions.html
2017-7-4
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Anthonyg Posted at 2017-3-9 09:35

Fly using Litchi, It uses Google maps and they are saved.
2017-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules