Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ND Filter - Everything you need to know about it
1101 18 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey Everybody

Because of the great feedback on this guide in the Mavic Forum I also want to share it with the Phantom pilots too.
It´s a beginner friendly article about why ND Filter are very useful for shooting videos.

http://unlimitedrone.com/2016/11/28/nd-filter-why-they-are-necessary-for-your-drone/

And please leave a feedback , thank you

2017-3-6
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

It's a bit of an ad fest over there, not much content and a few youtube videos from other people. The bolding of some words makes it very hard to scan read. Personally not keen on people promoting their web sites here all the time. Could have just posted it here with the videos?
2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-6 15:23
It's a bit of an ad fest over there, not much content and a few youtube videos from other people. The bolding of some words makes it very hard to scan read. Personally not keen on people promoting their web sites here all the time. Could have just posted it here with the videos?

Interesting to hear about the Mavic forum - never looked. I will now out of curiosity - cheers M&R.

In respect to self-promoting, it's a Catch-22 (do people know that phrase here?). It's a topic I'm interested in understanding better, but I don't necessarily know what informative content is out there without a search. I am now aware of that video, so I can check it out.
2017-3-6
Use props
RSW
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116736 ft
United States

It's a nice start but there are some inaccuracies.

Your eyes do not see motion blur. Motion blur is induced to make your video look like film.
You do not addesss when if ever ND filters should be used for stills.
The examples showing differing exposures with different ND filtering is confusing and misleading. We are not using them to change the exposure.
2017-3-6
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
United Kingdom

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-6 15:47
Interesting to hear about the Mavic forum - never looked. I will now out of curiosity - cheers M&R.

In respect to self-promoting, it's a Catch-22 (do people know that phrase here?). It's a topic I'm interested in understanding better, but I don't necessarily know what informative content is out there without a search. I am now aware of that video, so I can check it out.

Ooops, I didn't mean the Mavic forum was an ad fest, I meant the page in that link they are promoting.
If it's really good content being promoted, I can forgive. But IMHO this isn't really, it's verging on content farming for keyword hits from google. But if it helps just one person I guess an evil we can live with.

2017-3-6
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-6 17:08
Ooops, I didn't mean the Mavic forum was an ad fest, I meant the page in that link they are promoting.
If it's really good content being promoted, I can forgive. But IMHO this isn't really, it's verging on content farming for keyword hits from google. But if it helps just one person I guess an evil we can live with.

Thank you for your feedback.
The article is meant to be beginner friendly and easy to understand. It would be nice if you tell me your suggestions If you think important information are missing.
We used three videos, one made by a friend, one by us and one from someone else.
I also can´t see a problem with the links we used. Running a website isn´t for free and needs a lot of time. That´s why I can´t understand people talking bad about ads or aff. links. It´s a hobby and not about money for me, and if so I would be better placed in a fast-food restaurant where I could earn way more money
2017-3-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

RSW Posted at 2017-3-6 15:56

Your eyes do not see motion blur. Motion blur is induced to make your video look like film.

'But the problem with high shutter speed is that it creates jello effect and creates a distorted image which looks very unprofessional.'

Is also incorrect. High shutter speed does not create jello effect at all. Jello is caused by one thing only, vibration of the camera. Rolling shutter effect is a completely different effect to jello as well. And ND filters do almost nothing to eliminate jello, the only way to cure jello is to remove the cause of the vibration of the camera.
2017-3-6
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-6 21:32
'But the problem with high shutter speed is that it creates jello effect and creates a distorted image which looks very unprofessional.'

Is also incorrect. High shutter speed does not create jello effect at all. Jello is caused by one thing only, vibration of the camera. Rolling shutter effect is a completely different effect to jello as well. And ND filters do almost nothing to eliminate jello, the only way to cure jello is to remove the cause of the vibration of the camera.

I will rephrase it but it´s correct that ND filter reduce the jello (one of the distortion effects called rolling shutter effect caused by vibrations in combination with the rolling shutter method)
By using a ND filter you slow down the shutter speed enough so that instead of getting jello this small movement will turn into some blur which looks much way smoother then jello
2017-3-6
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

RSW Posted at 2017-3-6 15:56

But its used in film to make it look more natural and dynamic because that´s the way we perceive motion
2017-3-6
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-3-6 21:59
I will rephrase it but it´s correct that ND filter reduce the jello (one of the distortion effects called rolling shutter effect caused by vibrations in combination with the rolling shutter method)
By using a ND filter you slow down the shutter speed enough so that instead of getting jello this small movement will turn into some blur which looks much way smoother then jello

No, it does not turn into blur, that's just a theoretical interpretation. Jello causes wholesale movement of sections of the image, that's why it is given that name. The only way to cure jello is to remove the source of vibration or use a software routine to remove it during post.
2017-3-7
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-7 00:01
No, it does not turn into blur, that's just a theoretical interpretation. Jello causes wholesale movement of sections of the image, that's why it is given that name. The only way to cure jello is to remove the source of vibration or use a software routine to remove it during post.

It´s very easy to notice if you compare footage...
2017-3-7
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to disagree! Here is my split screen ND8 filter test.    http://forum.dji.com/thread-67176-1-1.html

I am using Polar Pro
2017-3-7
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
United Kingdom

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-3-6 21:16
Thank you for your feedback.
The article is meant to be beginner friendly and easy to understand. It would be nice if you tell me your suggestions If you think important information are missing.
We used three videos, one made by a friend, one by us and one from someone else.

I'm no expert, I can' tell you how to write your content on this subject. But if you're are writing for beginners then you really do need to make sure the info you are given is 100% correct. If you don't have the knowledge or expertise already then maybe don't write guides and tutorials. Blind leading the blind.

Your web site is there to promote your business, yes it costs money and time and that should be coming out of your marketing budget.

You've thought about your marketing strategy, mainly based on SEO and SEM from what I see, which really is one of the cheapest and easiest marketing tools. Maybe 15 minutes to write an article, not much investment at all.

You say it's a hobby, looks like a business web site to me, your comments are disingenuous.

I know ALL the tricks and sneaky ways people use SEO so-called content links. If you were genuine you would have just pasted the 200 word article in here, no need to go to your expensive web site. I don't buy the altruistic claims.
2017-3-7
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-3-7 02:06
I have to disagree! Here is my split screen ND8 filter test.    http://forum.dji.com/thread-67176-1-1.html

What settings did you use in the video?
2017-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-3-7 00:25
It´s very easy to notice if you compare footage...

If you are going to try and show a comparison, then at least use the exact same footage, that did not compare at all. And, there was almost no real jello in the shots, movement articacts on a pan are NOT jello. Real jello effect can be seen on a static shot.

2017-3-7
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
First Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-3-7 09:53
What settings did you use in the video?

I used auto. I didn't want my influence through video settings to be apart of the video.
2017-3-8
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2017-3-8 02:22
I used auto. I didn't want my influence through video settings to be apart of the video.

Ahh okay good Idea
2017-3-10
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

PolarPro published this useful App https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... variant=19764068101
2017-3-10
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-3-10 18:45
PolarPro published this useful App https://www.polarprofilters.com/products/polarpro-filter-app?variant=19764068101

Link changed: https://www.polarprofilters.com/pages/filter-calculator-app
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules