1054 12 2017-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft
United States

Braintrust,

I am a photographer, and as such my clients pay for and expect timely results. I shoot stills and video, and for each of those applications I have back-ups in case of camera/mechanical failure. Yes overkill, but it has happened to me more than once.

Do any of you guys carry a spare bird? I am thinking of getting a P4 pro and using the P4 as a back up. I already have plenty of batteries. I know I would have to synch my remote to the new bird. I am guessing the old P4 remote would work with the P4 Pro? I have not heard of one issue where the remote failed. I have heard of numerous fly aways though. And if it was to happen to me, I would like to have the peace of mind that I could still finish the shoot.

1. Will the P4 remote control the P4 Pro.
2. Where does one purchase ONLY the P4 pro, with no accessories?

Thanks for your time, I really do appreciate this forum and the people who participate.

Paul
2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Paul, no. The P4P controller is dual band, whereas the P4 controller isn't. I can tell you for a fact that the P4 controller will not sync with a P4P (I accidentally got them mixed up one day and spent a fruitless hour trying to work out what the issue was until I realised). However, I will admit to not trying the other way around.

Otherwise you're really just talking battery and props - and you'll need both (even if you could separate, which you can't). And the battery you'll get with the P4P is a high-capacity one too.

So, I have both the P4 and a P4P now. It's very handy to have both (and my girlfriend is getting into it now too...)

2017-3-6
Use props
PaulL
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23898 ft
United States

Thanks for the info PB. Guess I need to find another P4 or two P4 Pro's. I think it is important for them to be the same in this case. Thank for the info.
2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

PaulL Posted at 2017-3-6 15:34
Thanks for the info PB. Guess I need to find another P4 or two P4 Pro's. I think it is important for them to be the same in this case. Thank for the info.

Understood, then as a photographer it's a no-brainer. You'd go for the P4P for the superior camera.

Having said that, the P4 is still great for HiDef video. I did some work for a vineyard recently and used video segments from both my P4 and P4P. Admittedly the colour profiling turned out to be quite a different result within each, but post processing compensated for that.
2017-3-6
Use props
MAD35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

Will the P4P Controller work with the P4 and provide better signal range?   Does the P4P have a far better range than the P4 in general?  I am getting over 10KM range with my P4 and P4 controller and was wondering whether I would improve on that with the P4P.
2017-3-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-6 15:03
Paul, no. The P4P controller is dual band, whereas the P4 controller isn't. I can tell you for a fact that the P4 controller will not sync with a P4P (I accidentally got them mixed up one day and spent a fruitless hour trying to work out what the issue was until I realised). However, I will admit to not trying the other way around.

Otherwise you're really just talking battery and props - and you'll need both (even if you could separate, which you can't). And the battery you'll get with the P4P is a high-capacity one too.

I had to smile, with your mentioning the day you had mixed up your RC's! ;-)

A fellow can feel a personal fright & minor panic may overtake them.
But you remained calm, and figured it out, with a smile.

It's them little things in life that are what make it more interesting, & most stimulating. ha

RedHotPoker
2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

MAD35 Posted at 2017-3-6 17:34
Will the P4P Controller work with the P4 and provide better signal range?   Does the P4P have a far better range than the P4 in general?  I am getting over 10KM range with my P4 and P4 controller and was wondering whether I would improve on that with the P4P.

Over 10 Klm? Whaaaat? Each location will have it's own environmental penalties, but 10 Klm? You did say 10 Klm, right? Really, 10?

I'd be happy with 1 Klm ! And that's with either (my P4 and P4P).

Anyway, the P4P has two bands: 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The former offers better distance, whereas the latter is a stronger signal close by (as 5 is a relatively uncongested band so less interference) but has a shorter effective range. I understand that the controller will pick the best channel on Auto.
However, the P4 only has the one band - 2.4Ghz - so is constrained to that. At a distance, I doubt that one controller would be better than the other, unless the protocols have been optimised within the new RC. Anyone?
2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-6 17:53
I had to smile, with your mentioning the day you had mixed up your RC's! ;-)

Hey, well RHP, they're both white! Seriously, they actually both look identical - only real indicator is the model number on the bottom.
2017-3-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-6 17:54
Hey, well, they're both white! Seriously, they actually both look identical - only real indicator is the model number on the bottom.

Yes, you had explained this. It would be advantageous to add an identifier label/sticker, even Sharpie pen P4P on one P4 on the other of them.

Or do you use the model number labels as your guide?

RedHotPoker

2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-6 18:46
Yes, you had explained this. It would be advantageous to add an identifier label/sticker, even Sharpie pen P4P on one P4 on the other of them.

Or do you use the model number labels as your guide?

Arrgghh! The Sharpie pen idea would involve me defiling it's pristine white form. Haha.

But, yeah, I need to tell between them easier, even though they have homes in different backpacks. Coloured dots perhaps - just not white ones. ;-)
2017-3-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yes, On my computer it's corect.

Upload picturesCommon UploadNetwork picture
Please enter the picture addressWidth (optional)High (optional)

Submit

Uplaod ←After you select the file and click the "Upload" button
Upload, please wait, you canTemporarily closed the small window Upload is complete, you will be notified

File size: Less than 2MB  , Available name extensions: jpg, jpeg, gif, png  

Confirm  

Click to add pictures to post content
File size: Less than 2MB  , Available name extensions: jpg, jpeg, gif, png  

Attacmet file upload As well.

RedHotPoker

2017-3-6
Use props
MAD35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4387201 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-3-6 17:54
Over 10 Klm? Whaaaat? Each location will have it's own environmental penalties, but 10 Klm? You did say 10 Klm, right? Really, 10?

I'd be happy with 1 Klm ! And that's with either (my P4 and P4P).

Yep,  I did say 10km.  I have never had range issues with my P4.  I fly out 5kms over water all the time and then 5kms back and haven't ditched it yet.  The other day I flew 10kms in one stretch.

I got my mate to drive it 10kms from me and I connected to it and flew it back to me.  No issues at all.  I reckon I could do 15kms.  Here is the video.

2017-3-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

MAD35 Posted at 2017-3-6 20:16
Yep,  I did say 10km.  I have never had range issues with my P4.  I fly out 5kms over water all the time and then 5kms back and haven't ditched it yet.  The other day I flew 10kms in one stretch.

I got my mate to drive it 10kms from me and I connected to it and flew it back to me.  No issues at all.  I reckon I could do 15kms.  Here is the video.

Very nicely done. Good distance flight (although I was wondering about the decision to fly in sports mode), good video, cool music, and loved the GTRs (2? Oh, cum'on... I own a Skyline Cross-over myself).
2017-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules