Davinci resolve workflow Phantom 4/pro.
8020 17 2017-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UltraDan
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Anyone care to offer some advice on editing phantom 4 pro clips in resolve, specifically what they use to convert clips, remove noise etc?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
2017-3-7
Use props
gt3rs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280056 ft
Switzerland

I do not covert the clips, I generate optimized media, right click on the files once are in media pool within Resolve (In General Settings I set the optimized media to half resolution and DNxHR SQ or LB). Basically in this way you are editing and grading on FHD optimized edit format. The final rendering will happen from the original 4k 264 material so no quality is loss. T
his way it takes more time for the final rendering but I find it very convenient to do all on the same tool and not lose and quality in conversions. Also normally the input material maybe a 20-30 min videos but the final video only 2-3 minutes long so you may lose only 4-5 minutes for the final rendering.

Alternatively you could set the optimized media to full res and DNxHR SQ and the force the rendering from the optimized media. Just be aware that 4k DNxHR SQ are big so you need a lot of disk space. For most edits half res and DNxHR LB is more than enough for the preview.

2017-3-9
Use props
Damacone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358622 ft
United Kingdom

If you're using a Mac, you can edit and render directly from H.265 (albeit quite slowly...)

If you're using a PC like me, Resolve 12.5 doesn't support H.265 directly - so I use 'Convert V4' to convert to 4k DNxHR.

Look at these articles:

4K editing workflow

4K editing - hardware specs
2017-3-9
Use props
stalker
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Damacone Posted at 2017-3-9 12:47
If you're using a Mac, you can edit and render directly from H.265 (albeit quite slowly...)

If you're using a PC like me, Resolve 12.5 doesn't support H.265 directly - so I use 'Convert V4' to convert to 4k DNxHR.

So far no luck with H.265 on my mac (neither FCPX nor Quicktime. Trying several converters to ProRes  but none work 100%.
Back to H.264 then...
2017-3-9
Use props
fansfbd82212
Banned

Japan

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-23
Use props
monica66
lvl.2

China

I found below article on Google which will give you some clues. Good luck!
http://www.brorsoft.com/tutorial/editing-phantom-pro-4k-in-davinci-resolve.html
2017-3-28
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

Davinci Resolve supported file formats

Codec support:
DPX, CIN, EXR, QuickTime, Prores, DNxHD, MXF

Camera raw support:
Blackmagic Design cameras, CinemaDNG RAW, CinemaDNG RAW, ARRIRAW Alexa™, Amira™, RED Camera R3D files including +5K, monochrome and HDRx, Cineform™, Cineform™ 3D, Phantom Raw™, Nikon™, Canon™ C300, C500, 1D, 5D, 7D and the raw cameras from, Panasonic™, Sony™ F65/F55/F5 RAW and their XAVC variants.

However, the DJI Phantom 4 Pro capture 4K/2K/HD format with either H.264 or H.265 codec, which is not the native editing format by Davnci Resolve, it would be ideal for you to use a third-party conversion app to convert H.265 to Davinci Resolve compatible editing codec such as Apple Prores or DNxHD codec.
2017-4-21
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 771434 ft
Iceland

The h265 (HEVC) straight from the P4P Is working fine here with out converting in Davinci Resolve Studio 12.5.5 in real time on my PC win 10. No trans code needed but usually I convert files to Prores, GV HQX or other 10bit codecs that do not cause color shift in the workflow between editing and color correction.
2017-4-22
Use props
Damacone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 358622 ft
United Kingdom

JoiCam Posted at 2017-4-22 05:15
The h265 (HEVC) straight from the P4P Is working fine here with out converting in Davinci Resolve Studio 12.5.5 in real time on my PC win 10. No trans code needed but usually I convert files to Prores, GV HQX or other 10bit codecs that do not cause color shift in the workflow between editing and color correction.

How have you managed to get direct import with H265?  I've got the same setup and I have to transcode first - H265 files are ignored when I try to import.

Is there a setting to allow H265?
2017-4-22
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Iceland

No I did not do any thing. I just added the file and it works. It may be that some playback codec or playback engine for the h265 were added with one of those programs I use for editing. I am not sure. But it is not working for all programs but it works in Resolve for some reason. Ill try to figure it out some how when I ave the time and let you know.
Are you using the paid Studio version of Resolve 12.5.5? Not the standard free version?
2017-4-22
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Iceland

I tid some checking on the web on others experience of h265 in resolve. Some can use them directly into Resolve and some can not, I believe It can be a studio vs free version thing?  I read somewhere that the HEVC H.265 is only for the paid version of Resolve Studio. I have never used the free version so I can not tell.
2017-4-22
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

What I did was I imported the clips to DNx something something.  Sorry I don't remember.  Then I did the editing.  When I tried to render in 4K, the final file drops from 6 to 9 frames and it's extremely choppy.  What am I doing wrong?  These are clips from a phantom 4 which are encoded in the h264 format.
2017-4-22
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-4-22 13:52
What I did was I imported the clips to DNx something something.  Sorry I don't remember.  Then I did the editing.  When I tried to render in 4K, the final file drops from 6 to 9 frames and it's extremely choppy.  What am I doing wrong?  These are clips from a phantom 4 which are encoded in the h264 format.

You have to be very careful in choosing an output format, I don't know what you have selected, but unless you have specifically set up the delivery to 4K at your original frame rate, you could be getting anything.
2017-4-22
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

I think when I imported the clips, it was set to 1080p.  I still have a lot to learn about this piece of software but I managed to get something usable in a couple of days.
2017-4-22
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

A turorial that dumps down tech talk on Phantom 4 Pro to Davinci Reolve for us. You can check it and get your problem resolved.
2017-5-10
Use props
Maxwhiteuv
lvl.3

United States

The DJI Phantom 4 Pro supports to record both 4K H.265 and H.264 video, Davinci Resolve can handle H.264 MOV or MP4 with QuickTime container format, H.264 MP4 file with MP4 container file format or HEVC/H.265 MOV or MP4 file with QuickTime container file format. To successfully load the DJI Phantom 4K H.264 or H.265 file into Davinci Resolve, you will still need to change the container file format from MP4 or MOV to QuickTime MOV besides the resolution compression process listed above.Convert and rewrap Phantom 4K for Davinci Resolve.

You can rewrap DJI Phantom 4K H.264/H.265 MOV or MP4 to Davinci Resolve compatible H.264/H.265 QuickTime file.
2017-5-17
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Iceland

Davinci Resolve Studio versions supports H265. Free non studio versions do not support h265.
2017-5-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Tonya Rabish Posted at 8-8 21:40
To convert DaVinci Resolve exported video to MP4, a professional DaVinci Resolve to MP4 converter - Avdshare Video Converter is needed.

You are obviously promoting this software, so I have reported you. Take no notice of this, Resolve can output MP4 perfectly well without external convertors.
2019-8-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules