Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Polar Pro Filters bind gimbal
3575 12 2017-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TimmysDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1412917 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a set of Polar Pro filters I purchased at Best Buy for the Mavic.  Today I tried them for the first time.  The filter was in place and the Mavic was warming up when I saw a message about an overheating motor and stuck gimbal.  The filter was set on the lens as far as possible but not quite enough to clear part of the mechanism during the initial bootup.  I turned the Mavic off and after verifying the filter was on correctly, restarted the Mavic only to have it happen again.  The filters must have been specially designed for the Mavic, so I'm a little confused as to why they won't work with my camera.  Has anyone else had this problem?
2017-3-7
Use props
hypnotist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 559229 ft
United States

It depends on the ones you got. They had a model that didn't clear and you are supposed to put them on after turning on the AC and others that would clear the gimbal so you could leave it on before.
2017-3-7
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

The ones at BestBuy should clear the gimbal if they are installed all the way on, we have seen a few instances on some of the new Mavics coming off the line have larger cameras and even tighter tolerances.
We do have a solution on the way for these specific cameras.

Here is an installation video, if you try this and it does not calibrate, please send us an email and we will get you dialed in:

-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-7
Use props
TimmysDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1412917 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2017-3-7 21:53
The ones at BestBuy should clear the gimbal if they are installed all the way on, we have seen a few instances on some of the new Mavics coming off the line have larger cameras and even tighter tolerances.
We do have a solution on the way for these specific cameras.

Jeff, today we have a break in the snow and the sun is bright. I wanted to fly over the breaking up ice on the lake and definitely need a ND filter. I made sure it was on all the way but it still hung up on during the power on procedure. I was able to manually interfere and all was fine for the flight. There seems to be a problem with the fit of the filters. Something else i should do?
Thank you,
Don
2017-3-11
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.1
United States

I just bought these today for my Mavic coming soon. Following to see what the deal is.
2017-3-11
Use props
Circle3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1007070 ft
United States

I had the same problem of the PolarPro Cinema ND filters binding the gimbal on Mavic Pro initialization.  I purchased the filters because I saw the video of the filter passing the gimbal initialization.  I suspect the new firmware turns the gimbal in a more extreme fashion on initialization. Yes, the filter was fully seated on the lens. Returned the set for refund.
2017-3-11
Use props
GMG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

I've got the Cinema series filters, but they come off nowhere as easily as the one shown in the video.  I dread swapping them.  I've pared back the compression band (see the video below, for a description of how, from FlyLight), but they're still not easy to remove.  I really empathise with the design challenge that the current lens barrel presents for Jeff and other manufacturers of ND filters.  When v2.0 of the Mavic arrives, let's hope for future users' sakes that they've redesigned this with a thread or something to make it more filter-friendly.

With reference to the new firmware (.500) I'm not encountering any issues with the Cinema series filters making contact with the gimbal mechanism.
2017-3-11
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TimmysDad Posted at 2017-3-11 10:19
Jeff, today we have a break in the snow and the sun is bright. I wanted to fly over the breaking up ice on the lake and definitely need a ND filter. I made sure it was on all the way but it still hung up on during the power on procedure. I was able to manually interfere and all was fine for the flight. There seems to be a problem with the fit of the filters. Something else i should do?
Thank you,
Don

Hi Don,
We have actually been seeing some of these new Mavics are larger, and are causing some startup interference. It is only about 2 or 3% from what we have seen, but we did develop a custom solution for these cameras. If you can shoot us an email we will get these sent out to you.

Thanks!
-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-13
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-3-11 12:45
I've got the Cinema series filters, but they come off nowhere as easily as the one shown in the video.  I dread swapping them.  I've pared back the compression band (see the video below, for a description of how, from FlyLight), but they're still not easy to remove.  I really empathise with the design challenge that the current lens barrel presents for Jeff and other manufacturers of ND filters.  When v2.0 of the Mavic arrives, let's hope for future users' sakes that they've redesigned this with a thread or something to make it more filter-friendly.
https://youtu.be/hfDctYR4Te4

A very small number of Mavics are coming off the line with a larger diameter.
We do have a custom solution for these larger cameras, if you want to shoot us an email we will be happy
to send it out,

Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-13
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

PolarPro Posted at 2017-3-13 09:46
We do have a custom solution for these larger cameras, if you want to shoot us an email we will be happy
to send it out,

Are the cameras larger diameter? or is this something that has changed with firmware updates, I have a similar set of filters by pgytech that worked no problem before the latest mavic firmware update and now they always are getting stuck upon initialization. Almost like the gimbal initializes more violentley and gets stuck.
I would try the Polar Pros if there was some reassurance the same issue does not exist like above....
2017-3-13
Use props
PolarPro
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Visual Air Posted at 2017-3-13 15:36
Are the cameras larger diameter? or is this something that has changed with firmware updates, I have a similar set of filters by pgytech that worked no problem before the latest mavic firmware update and now they always are getting stuck upon initialization. Almost like the gimbal initializes more violentley and gets stuck.
I would try the Polar Pros if there was some reassurance the same issue does not exist like above....

It has to do with a physical interference, some of the new cameras off the line are 0.15mm larger, which is very large considering the small amount of clearance. We developed an even slimmer solution for users who are having startup problems, but we are only sending these on a case by case basis because the number is small.

The current ones should pass through calibration no problem, if you do run into issues, we are here for you and have a custom solution,
-Jeff from PolarPro
2017-3-14
Use props
GMG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

PolarPro Posted at 2017-3-13 09:46
to send it out,

Hi Jeff - just saw your response. Will get in touch via email. Thanks.
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules