Slow speed in P mode
3825 13 2017-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ComCypher
lvl.1
Flight distance : 328720 ft
United States

Hello.  First post here...I got a Mavic Pro about a week ago, and while it's mostly performing as expected I am experiencing one issue.  When flying in Position mode I can't seem to exceed 10 mph, but I understand that I should be able to get up to 20.  If I disable obstacle avoidance, I can exceed 20 mph.  Also, in Sport mode I can hit the advertised 40 MPH.  So I'm only having a speed problem in P mode with obstacle avoidance enabled.  Things I have confirmed so far:

* Low wind conditions
* Beginner mode disabled
* Multi-flight mode enabled
* Intelligent flight modes not active

Is there anything else to check?  I don't see any other settings that could pertain to speed.

Bonus issue that might be somehow related to the first issue:  When I initiated the RTH, the drone climbed well past the set 30m RTH altitude, would accelerate to about 13 mph, then abruptly stop, repeating this over and over.  It was gaining altitude the whole time.  I had to disable the RTH and fly back manually.

2017-3-7
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Sounds like you were facing towards the sun.
2017-3-7
Use props
fansf43c9c31
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241798 ft
Hong Kong

It is the mavic behaviour to restrict speed if  obstacle avoidance is enabled
2017-3-7
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

If you are flying low or facing the sun it will slow down. Also with mine sometimes it start slow but give it a few seconds it's gone.
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The front movement takes a little longer to get going at a fast pace. Like what was previously mentioned, leaving the OA sensors on can reduce forward flight as well.
2017-3-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Just turn off the obstacle avoidance and it will fly faster
2017-3-7
Use props
Impact9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 215886 ft
United States

Funny how this seems to be the norm here (slow movement in full throttle) but when I mentioned this in my thread it's user error that caused my drone to crash. Yeah  I smell what you're cooking DJI.
2017-3-8
Use props
ComCypher
lvl.1
United States

I've concluded that I can probably live with the reduced speed in P mode.  I'll just have to get into the habit of switching to Sport mode when at a higher altitude or in transit to my destination.  The RTH issue I experienced however is the thing I find more alarming now.  I was able to reproduce that issue today--the sun was maybe 70 degrees left of center, and the drone did its weird stop/climb routine.  When I performed the RTH with the sun to the back of the drone it worked fine.  Does this mean that RTH can't be relied upon if the sun is anywhere in the direction of the home point?
2017-3-8
Use props
mcd0nald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3717 ft
Australia

was shocked when I flew the other day why my mavic was not as responsive as before lol....i thought it was only me
2017-3-8
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

ComCypher Posted at 2017-3-8 20:55
I've concluded that I can probably live with the reduced speed in P mode.  I'll just have to get into the habit of switching to Sport mode when at a higher altitude or in transit to my destination.  The RTH issue I experienced however is the thing I find more alarming now.  I was able to reproduce that issue today--the sun was maybe 70 degrees left of center, and the drone did its weird stop/climb routine.  When I performed the RTH with the sun to the back of the drone it worked fine.  Does this mean that RTH can't be relied upon if the sun is anywhere in the direction of the home point?

Basically yes. It just depends on the angle of the sun to the sensors.
It is just something to be aware of.
2017-3-8
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

Did you remove the clear protectors off of the front sensors?
2017-3-8
Use props
ComCypher
lvl.1
United States

Grumps Posted at 2017-3-8 21:51
Did you remove the clear protectors off of the front sensors?

That was something I double and triple checked.  I even cleared off a couple specks of dust I saw on the left sensor, but no change in performance.
2017-3-9
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Something has changed with my speed as well.  things seem to move like a turtle since the latest firmware upgrade!  
2017-3-9
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

I would try calibrating the sensors in the Assistant and if that didn't work I would try downgrading to the previous firmware and then reinstalling the latest. If all that didn't work, I would return it for a refund and then reorder one (I understand that is faster than getting a replacement).
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules