1645 7 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hello everyone, last year I wrote a post where I commented that the deep discharge information every 20 cycles had disappeared from the battery safety guide(post). In that post ken told me that it was a typo and that the process was still necessary in all dji smartbatteries, but I do not know if it is also necessary to do the deep discharge on  our mavic or every few cycles. Could someone help us with this question?

The process consists of every 20 cycles, to discharge the battery until the battery lights go out

2017-3-8
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Would love clarification here too!
2017-3-8
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

Wow, thanks for bringing this up.
2017-3-8
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

LOL @ conditioning batteries.  We'll never move past this...  SMH.  This is like warming up your car for an excessive amount of time when the manual clearly states "DRIVE AWAY IMMEDIATELY."
2017-3-8
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Funny,  this seems like advice given some time ago for NiMh batteries.  Every technical document I have read on LiPo batteries suggest that full discharge can negatively impact the charge holding capacity and life of the cell.  They DJI may have originally suggested this for balancing purposes on their smart batteries but it is certainly not recommended in general for LiPo batteries (Panasonic, Samsung).  This may be why this guidance has been removed from the batter manual.
2017-3-8
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

EastyT Posted at 2017-3-8 09:00
Funny,  this seems like advice given some time ago for NiMh batteries.  Every technical document I have read on LiPo batteries suggest that full discharge can negatively impact the charge holding capacity and life of the cell.  They DJI may have originally suggested this for balancing purposes on their smart batteries but it is certainly not recommended in general for LiPo batteries (Panasonic, Samsung).  This may be why this guidance has been removed from the batter manual.

"it is certainly not recommended in general for LiPo batteries "
+1

(same for Tesla cars and so on ...)
2017-3-8
Use props
cegio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 671257 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Hello! , Ken answered me in the other post, telling me that it is not necessary to download deep every 20 cycles in the mavic, in the manual says it should be once every 3 months, I do not think that is very specific, depending on the person In 3 months you can make 10 or 100 charge cycles
https://forum.dji.com/thread-37327-1-1.html
2017-3-8
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I know with regular 18650, 26650 cells, if you see your missing capacity on a cell you can get some of it back. 3 cycles down to 2.8v per cell and charge back to 4.2. It's nice the mavic has voltage monitoring. You could do this if your not getting the flight times like when it was new. You want a slow discharge around 500ma, it's probably what they use internally to discharge them after 10 days.

Discharging on the mavic is probably not a good idea, as it pulls too much. Maybe set the battery to smart discharge immediately. Charge and drain 2 or 3 times. Set it back to 10 in the go app. Storing them, you want to keep around 3.75v. I leave them discharged after flight until the next time I go out. No sense charging them up and leaving them for extended time at 4.2 even with the 10 day discharge.
2017-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules