12Next >
13047 49 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silverado101980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5858166 ft
United States

So when I first flew the Mavic the RC at times with wind would show higher than the advertised 40mph I've seen upwards of 50 before. But the other day after the most recent update I was flying in some good wind that might scare some people. I noticed that with my est. 25 mph tail wind it would not break 40 mph in sport mode and also the RPM indicator was way down as if only running hard enough to keep elevation have they changed programming to have GPS speed limits ?
2017-3-8
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286611 ft
United States

Yep, looks like they definitely did something with the speed. Its barely touching 40mph.
2017-3-8
Use props
b33
lvl.2
Spain

why dji would do this?
2017-3-8
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I've been watching youtube so I'm an expert now - it could be that if you push motors too hard you can burn out speed controllers when they draw to much current. I could be completely wrong but it sounds right. Limit the speed to protect other components.
2017-3-8
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

You might have a good point to that and makes sense on the previous firmware having both sticks forward in sport I would get the battery error a few times above 95%.. with the current firmware I don't receive the error but. with that said I don't think the Mavic fly away as hard as it did before.  My cousin has a Phantom 4 Pro Plus he has never updated the firmware and says he won't he's worried about loosing speed since his will fly about 65 mph to 70mph in sport mode and we have tested flying beside the pickup we were in it really does fly 65 mph. no joke
2017-3-8
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I suspect it's just showing a more accurate speed now - it was noticed early on the app showed an unrealistic reading
2017-3-8
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

I wouldnt be surprised. DJI has done the same thing with the Phantoms previously....where they slowed down the phantom for whatever battery overload etc... reasons
Shows you how much pre release testing DJI really does. Market the drone with certain features/speed. Only to remove those features down the road via firmware update....Shame on them as always.
2017-3-8
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-8 14:04
I've been watching youtube so I'm an expert now  - it could be that if you push motors too hard you can burn out speed controllers when they draw to much current. I could be completely wrong but it sounds right. Limit the speed to protect other components.

I think its not a current thing.  Going with the wind requires less power/current to reach  40mph GPS speed however way more power/current is required if you do a 180 and fly into the wind and try to hit 40mph GPS speed.
2017-3-8
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-3-8 15:35
I think its not a current thing.  Going with the wind requires less power/current to reach  40mph GPS speed however way more power/current is required if you do a 180 and fly into the wind and try to hit 40mph GPS speed.

Good point, you could be doing 5mph into a big wind with the motors screaming at full revs. GPS speed has a variable relationship to motor speed. Interesting..
2017-3-8
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

is there any official word from DJI about it?
I mean I could understand that yes there might be some tweaks to optimize battery usage.

I remember last time I took off I was surprised that my flight time was showing 26 minutes.  
2017-3-8
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

If this is the case i'm happy to have a slower mavic, at least it might mean that it wont flick into Atti mode now as it wont be drawing too many amps. They should indicate this in the firmware release though !
2017-3-8
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Specs in the latest manual say the Maximum Speed in Sport mode is 40.4mph.  Doesn't say whether its Ground Speed, which is based on GPS or Air Speed which is sensed with a pitot static tube.  Guess its the latter as there is no PS tube on the MAVIC.
2017-3-8
Use props
HENROCK67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35020 ft
United States

did you double check that enable multiple flight modes was turned on?  after the firmware update mine always resets after the firmware update so regardless if i have the remote switched to sport mode or not it seems slower after a firmware update till i remember about the multiple flight modes.
2017-3-8
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

HENROCK67 Posted at 2017-3-8 16:27
did you double check that enable multiple flight modes was turned on?  after the firmware update mine always resets after the firmware update so regardless if i have the remote switched to sport mode or not it seems slower after a firmware update till i remember about the multiple flight modes.

yup that is true

Multiple flight modes and obstacle avoidance is also reset to default
2017-3-8
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-3-8 16:23
Specs in the latest manual say the Maximum Speed in Sport mode is 40.4mph.  Doesn't say whether its Ground Speed, which is based on GPS or Air Speed which is sensed with a pitot static tube.  Guess its the latter as there is no PS tube on the MAVIC.

Its a day of learning, pitot tube, looks interesting, I guess it would always need to face the flight direction?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk-p ... itot-tube-set.html/

2017-3-8
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

stratosHD Posted at 2017-3-8 16:42
yup that is true

Multiple flight modes and obstacle avoidance is also reset to default

Yes mine are enabled it will hit 39.8 mph every time and never move above it. flew it just now to test a couple settings and I got another battery over current error and the revs solid all the way to the top with both sticks forward in sport mode
2017-3-8
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Canada

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-8 16:46
Its a day of learning, pitot tube, looks interesting, I guess it would always need to face the flight direction?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk-pilot-analog-air-speed-sensor-and-pitot-tube-set.html/

Yes it would.  By the way every full sized airplane use them to sense air speed.
2017-3-8
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

Silverado101980 Posted at 2017-3-8 16:57
Yes mine are enabled it will hit 39.8 mph every time and never move above it. flew it just now to test a couple settings and I got another battery over current error and the revs solid all the way to the top with both sticks forward in sport mode

The Mavic has been limited to ABOUT 40mph for the past few FWs. If you view the DAT file, you will see that when it hits around 40mph, it's only for a very short period, even if holding down the the sticks at 100% constant. When flying with the wind, they throttle it down. Maybe they just changed the sampling rate for the gps. If averaged over a longer time, it would appear to slow down. The true variability in top speed can be heard in the various pitches it makes when full out in sports mode.  

Then again, they really could have limited the speed a bit to help with some of the problems that appear to be high current/EM noise related.  Would be interesting to compare prop max rpm and pitch at top speed after fw updates. If you look at rpm and pitch, it's certainly less to maintain about 40 mph with a tail wind.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, I have confirmed with our engineers and we didn't limit the speed.
Maybe it's not flying downwind completely.
2017-3-8
Use props
PREDATOR
New

Puerto Rico

The Phantom 4 Pro was also speed limited in this update big time!
2017-3-9
Use props
The Rev
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1256837 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-8 23:57

They may not have intentionally done so but without doubt its slower since the latest update in an attempt to stop them falling into ATTI (BATTI) Mode I suspect.
2017-3-9
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-8 23:57

Hi Mindy!

Is your statement about the DJI emgineers not lowering the top speed specific to changes in the latestest FW that's in question?

The speed definitely appears to be limited TO ABOUT 40MPH when in sports mode, and it always has been. I and others have observed this multiple times when flying with a strong wind where the ground speed would have been considerably higher had it not throttled back. My top speed was about 44mph in a 15 mph tailwind. If they changed anything it may have been the sampling rate (you can change this on some GPS devices ) to give a more overall and accurate speed reading over a longer period of time. With this it may still easily be hitting 40 or over in spurts.

Questioning speed is always one of the things that comes up after FW upgrades, but there are so many variables. As always, thanks for your help.
2017-3-9
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

I just rolled back to the last firmware update since I'm one of the Android people affected by the last DJI GO 4 update problems frantic to not have the app crash constantly... But I can tell you it did 45 with a small tail wind so downgrading made it appear to go slightly faster.....
2017-3-11
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I just did a quick Sport mode flight at full speed out and back.  HealthyDrones gave me a max speed just a hair under 41 mph.  This is with the new .500 firmware and is only slightly below what I typically see (42 to 43 mph). If the notched down the speed, it is only very slight.
2017-3-11
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-3-11 17:12
I just did a quick Sport mode flight at full speed out and back.  HealthyDrones gave me a max speed just a hair under 41 mph.  This is with the new .500 firmware and is only slightly below what I typically see (42 to 43 mph). If the notched down the speed, it is only very slight.

i too checked healthy drones and it says my max speed ever since getting the mavic was 41. and i remember seeing it say 60mph once.
2017-3-13
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-3-13 18:32
i too checked healthy drones and it says my max speed ever since getting the mavic was 41. and i remember seeing it say 60mph once.

That 60mph would have required a VERY fast tail wind.  60mph is way beyond anything I have seen even with a strong tailwind.  41mph is pretty close to my max speeds so I don't think you have lost any speed here.
2017-3-19
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-8 14:04
I've been watching youtube so I'm an expert now  - it could be that if you push motors too hard you can burn out speed controllers when they draw to much current. I could be completely wrong but it sounds right. Limit the speed to protect other components.

I need to watch more YouTubes
Matt I think you are 100% correct
2017-3-19
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Silverado101980 Posted at 2017-3-8 14:21
You might have a good point to that and makes sense on the previous firmware having both sticks forward in sport I would get the battery error a few times above 95%.. with the current firmware I don't receive the error but. with that said I don't think the Mavic fly away as hard as it did before.  My cousin has a Phantom 4 Pro Plus he has never updated the firmware and says he won't he's worried about loosing speed since his will fly about 65 mph to 70mph in sport mode and we have tested flying beside the pickup we were in it really does fly 65 mph. no joke

I would tell him too calm down
There's a good possibility  he will burn out an ESC or the battery itself
My Mavic in S-Mode with a tail wind hits about 38+ --- that's fast enough for me
P.S. does he take Pic's and Vid's going this fast ????   lololollooo
2017-3-19
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-19 09:20
I would tell him too calm down
There's a good possibility  he will burn out an ESC or the battery itself
My Mavic in S-Mode with a tail wind hits about 38+ --- that's fast enough for me

Yeah I do wonder how long it will last but it's his baby but mine and he records constantly I doubt he uses and footage other than to watch it be a farmer uses it to check fields and stuff
2017-3-20
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The same thing happened with the original inspire 1, when I first recieved mine that thing was an animal,all sort of speed and power and with every firmware update it was hobbled,now it sounds and runs like a v-8 engine running on two cylinders. My advice to everyone with a mavic is to downgrade to .400 and stay there forever.
2017-3-20
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Silverado101980 Posted at 2017-3-20 02:45
Yeah I do wonder how long it will last but it's his baby but mine and he records constantly I doubt he uses and footage other than to watch it be a farmer uses it to check fields and stuff

Hey Silver , Can you do us all a favor ?
Please try to catch a video of his drone when it bursts into flames while he's up in flight.
I don't wish this on him ---- but it would be so cool to view it as it happens   
2017-3-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Didn´t look at the speed yesterday in sports mode but rotor rpm was about 650 rpm ...................
2017-3-20
Use props
fabiok
lvl.1
Italy

good morning everyone ,
2017-3-20
Use props
fabiok
lvl.1
Italy

good morning everyone , i have a problem with video store in mavick pro sd , didn't save at sd but on the phone memory , and djassistant don't open the f: disk of mavick when connected with usb , only disk g: opened and recognized with .dat file but all at 0 for data inside. What i do for save a video on sd card of mavick and not on the phone ? , what i do for resolve a problem with disc of mavick and djiassistant2 ?
2017-3-20
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-3-8 17:15
Yes it would.  By the way every full sized airplane use them to sense air speed.

That's because Air Speed is what keeps fixed-wing aircraft aloft. Not so with copters. That's why it's not std. equipment - not required.
2017-3-20
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-3-20 03:55
Didn´t look at the speed yesterday in sports mode but rotor rpm was about 650 rpm ...................

I did one in about 25mph the other day .500 firmware and i was seeing in the mid to lower 500 rpm range
2017-3-24
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

I have now done multiple flights with the .500 firmware and HealthyDrone/Airdata reports speed over 41mph.  This is within 1mph of my prior fastest speed so it really doesn't look speed limitted.
2017-3-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

.500 today 67kmh. Happy with that almost no wind.
2017-3-24
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Airdata says 43.14mph is my max, 26006 feet longest mileage max. On firmware 1.2.9

I guess never seen the 60 mph some talk about and that's firmware from mid december. Ah nm they probably talking kph
2017-3-24
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-24 12:12
Airdata says 43.14mph is my max, 26006 feet longest mileage max. On firmware 1.2.9

I guess never seen the 60 mph some talk about and that's firmware from mid december. Ah nm they probably talking kph

Yeah, I have done multiple test flights in Sport mode and even with a strong tail wind had never had any speed higher than 43 mph. That's no where near 60.
2017-3-24
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules