2540 13 2017-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have now flown quite a few times with my mavic and most of them has been in windy conditions including today.  Today as I was returning to the home point to land I noticed on my screen that the gimbal was twitching, possibly due to the wind.  It continued to twitch until I landed.  I powered it back up and kept it no higher than 8-10 feet and eventually it started again.  It did not appear to actually be a mechanical twitch but a vibrating sort of twitch IMO assocated with the high winds.

After landing again I took a look at the 3 points of interest of the gimbal movement and they all appeared to be seated as before.  Yet, I could not help but notice (as before) the delicate construction of the gimbal as it had strings or rubber bands for movement.  So, could High Winds actually damage this thing?
2017-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It sounds like the wind, can't be good for it, also sudden breaking in sport mode can also have a damaging effect on gimbal, best to let AC come to a stop on its own , it's not that difficult to see how fragile this gimbal is. Gimbal calibration should sort it?.
You might be better with cover on in high wind..
2017-3-8
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-8 12:39
It sounds like the wind, can't be good for it, also sudden breaking in sport mode can also have a damaging effect on gimbal, best to let AC come to a stop on its own , it's not that difficult to see how fragile this gimbal is. Gimbal calibration should sort it?.
You might be better with cover on in high wind..

Thanks; I am taking the leap right now and upgrading the firmware then I will calibrate the gimbal.  Hopefully it was only the wind.
2017-3-8
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

i highly doubt any wind condition or sudden braking can damage the gimbal. There is simply not enough force acting on the gimbal to damage it...Now if you hit an imaginary wall, the G force could damage the gimal but that not gonna happen is it.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think any wind would cause damage.
If it still twitches after calibration then you can do a factory restore from the Assistant2 and see if that resolves it.
2017-3-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

alirz5 Posted at 2017-3-8 12:57
i highly doubt any wind condition or sudden braking can damage the gimbal. There is simply not enough force acting on the gimbal to damage it...Now if you hit an imaginary wall, the G force could damage the gimal but that not gonna happen is it.

You should read the posts no one said the gimbal was damaged by wind or sudden breaking , it is a regular occurrence when flying in sport at full tilt , to suddenly pull throttle stick back , you will receive a warning gimbal pitch reached movement limit, this is a warning not a notice, there is a reason for this warning what do you think it might be.?
2017-3-8
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Waht I usually do.. If you are using sport mode or fighting high wind don't just suddenly take your finger of the stick just ease into braking. It will prolonged the life ot this delicate gimbal.
2017-3-8
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-8 13:07
I don't think any wind would cause damage.
If it still twitches after calibration then you can do a factory restore from the Assistant2 and see if that resolves it.

Thanks. I updated; did gimbal calibration and flew it in my basement. Appears okay but flying it again in some wind will decide.
2017-3-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-8 18:37
Thanks. I updated; did gimbal calibration and flew it in my basement. Appears okay but flying it again in some wind will decide.

Flying in the basement may not be the best place for a test flight. I've seen many indoor crashes mostly from lost orientation and they get close to a wall and try to react but end up going faster right into the wall.
2017-3-9
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 08:32
Flying in the basement may not be the best place for a test flight. I've seen many indoor crashes mostly from lost orientation and they get close to a wall and try to react but end up going faster right into the wall.

Thanks Ken, but I am much aware of the perils of flying in my basement.  But when you live in a NFZ like I do and have to drive at least 40 minutes in either direction before the aircraft will even power up, the basement (where I do not get a GPS signal) becomes your test field.  Because I have to test things out in my basement I have learned what to turn on and what to turn off and how to only do what is necessary to accomplish what I am looking for.  Also; I freaking hate the fact that I own a device that will not start in my own freaking yard!  
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-9 09:19
Thanks Ken, but I am much aware of the perils of flying in my basement.  But when you live in a NFZ like I do and have to drive at least 40 minutes in either direction before the aircraft will even power up, the basement (where I do not get a GPS signal) becomes your test field.  Because I have to test things out in my basement I have learned what to turn on and what to turn off and how to only do what is necessary to accomplish what I am looking for.  Also; I freaking hate the fact that I own a device that will not start in my own freaking yard!

Understand,
Email FlySafe@dji.com and maybe they can do something for you.
2017-3-9
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-9 09:30
Understand,
Email  and maybe they can do something for you.

Thanks but it will be a futile attempt, as live in the DC metro area.  
2017-3-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-9 10:07
Thanks but it will be a futile attempt, as live in the DC metro area.

Ahhh, I see.
2017-3-9
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

Sounds like it may be the wind. But, next time it does that, you may want to try using the gimbal cover to rule out a problem with the gimbal.
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules