Drifing when moving forward slowly
893 11 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
steelej80.googl
lvl.2

Hey Guys,

I got a compass error on my inspire2 last night and today calibrated OK but I noticed when flying forward slowly the I2 would drift with the wind, could be going as far as 10-15ft off centre. Anyone seen this with their inspire? I'm planning on doing an IMU and Compass calibration now but just curious if others see this behaviour and I've just not noticed it before(unlikely but wanted to check )

John.
2017-3-9
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

I'd be curious to know if the sensor readings were within their parameters.
2017-3-9
Use props
steelej80.googl
lvl.2

I calibrated IMU and Compass and it appears to be better but still a little drift. I don't know if it did that before because now I'm being hypersensitive to any movement that I may have just instinctively corrected before. Can anyone else confirm that slow forward flight in the wind causes a slight drift?

John.
2017-3-9
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi John.
I've flown my I2 is some moderate winds (up to 15 knots) and have not noticed any drift in P-Mode.
Allan
2017-3-9
Use props
steelej80.googl
lvl.2

Thanks Allan, so it's perfectly straight no movement left or right at all?

John.
2017-3-9
Use props
ocelot27
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1163894 ft
  • >>>
United States

steelej80.googl Posted at 2017-3-9 11:28
Thanks Allan, so it's perfectly straight no movement left or right at all?

John.

I have seen the same issue in wind - just yesterday I was flying slowly just above the deck (~1.5M) with just forward stick input and the craft flew diagonally with the wind requiring correction. I have not yet tried recal on the compass since the big 3/17 FW update but the IMU and compass both show normal stats...

-john (there's more than one of us...)
2017-3-9
Use props
steelej80.googl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

While it's not good that we've both observed this behaviour, I'm glad I've got company

Would be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this.

John.
2017-3-9
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just witnessed this issue with my I1 this past week.  When I hovered in high winds it was rock solid, when I flew using waypoints it flew perfectly straight, but when I flew in in P-Mode there was significant drift.  My thinking is even though you have the GPS active when flying manually in P-Mode there is no GPS lock to a fixed position at the end of the flight pattern as there is using waypoints or when you hover.
2017-3-9
Use props
steelej80.googl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Interesting, I'll try tap fly tomorrow to see if it locks onto a course. Like your I1 my I2 is rock solid in a hover.

John
2017-3-9
Use props
steelej80.googl
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Would also be good if someone from DJI can comment on this, is it expected behaviour?

John
2017-3-9
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

Inspire 1 has not been able to keep a straight course in GPS assisted flight since V1.3 of the firmware.
2017-3-9
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-9 15:05
Inspire 1 has not been able to keep a straight course in GPS assisted flight since V1.3 of the firmware.

Ah yes!  1.3, I remember it well.  Miss those days.
2017-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules