Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic video bitrate question
4319 12 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rossnzwpi
New

New Zealand

Hi, my first Mavic pro footage - .mp4, PAL 25fps UHD turned out awful! Its looking down at the sea from 1m to 70m and is very blocky, suggesting that the H.264 is too highly compressed. The bit rate is less thaa 5meg bits per second, although the specs say up to 60mb/s is possible.
How do I set the highest quality video codec and compression bit rate?
thanks
Ross

2017-3-9
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hi. Have you looked at the videos there are on the SD card, they should be written with 60 Mb/s opposite of what lies on the phone.
2017-3-9
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Double post.
2017-3-9
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
First Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I think you are looking at the cached files from your android/iapple flight device.
Walk to the mavic. Open her legs and lift up her flap. There is an SD card inside her flap. Walk to your computer and use a USB SD card reader and copy the file over.
Another method would be to leave the SD card in her flap and use a micro USB cable and connect to PC/Mac and copy over (this method has a slower transfer rate).
Sorry my English is goot =)
2017-3-9
Use props
rossnzwpi
New

New Zealand

Thanks for the quick and useful response. The files I mention were copied to my computer from the Mavic Pro's micro SD card and have names like DJI_0001.mp4.  Are there quick preview and also higher quality files on the MicroSD card? In other words two versions of the same video file?
2017-3-9
Use props
Daroga
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

rossnzwpi Posted at 2017-3-9 15:50
Thanks for the quick and useful response. The files I mention were copied to my computer from the Mavic Pro's micro SD card and have names like DJI_0001.mp4.  Are there quick preview and also higher quality files on the MicroSD card? In other words two versions of the same video file?

The MAX data rate for the Mavic is 60mbps.

This data rate can also be quantified as 7.5 MB/s. These two rate qualifiers are mbps, which is megaBITS per second and MB/s which is megaBYTES per second.........
Camera vendors typically use mbps, while SD Card vendors usually use MB/s.

The actual recorded data rate depends on the amount of data that is being recorded (frame width x height, & frame rate) and differs for each resolution. Each recording has a data rate:

kbps

kbps

where are you seeing your bitrate of 5mbps?
2017-3-9
Use props
rossnzwpi
New

New Zealand

Hi, I am looking at it on my Macbook Pro - in Quicktime Player's Movie inspector. I have a few video files and they're all less than 5 Mb/s. For example  - it lists the 'Data Rate : 3.91 Mb/s' and in Mac's Finder it lists the file as: Duration 00:35 and Size 17.1MB' So doing the maths on the Finder figures confirms the data rate that QuickTime gives.
The only thing I can think of is that I am missing a place in DJI GO4 where I can set a data rate or the data rate is set automatically and is being choked by something such as the class of the micro SD card I'm using (which I'm pretty sure is the one that came with the Mavic new).
2017-3-9
Use props
Daroga
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

rossnzwpi Posted at 2017-3-9 17:59
Hi, I am looking at it on my Macbook Pro - in Quicktime Player's Movie inspector. I have a few video files and they're all less than 5 Mb/s. For example  - it lists the 'Data Rate : 3.91 Mb/s' and in Mac's Finder it lists the file as: Duration 00:35 and Size 17.1MB' So doing the maths on the Finder figures confirms the data rate that QuickTime gives.
The only thing I can think of is that I am missing a place in DJI GO4 where I can set a data rate or the data rate is set automatically and is being choked by something such as the class of the micro SD card I'm using (which I'm pretty sure is the one that came with the Mavic new).

Here's the DJI_0025.mp4, UHD 3840x2160 from the post above, in QuickTime with Movie Inspector showing 60 mbps:
DJI_0025.png

But at the other end of the resolution spectrum is DJI_0069.mp4, HD 1280x720 in 10035 kbps or 10.035 mbps:
DJI_0069.png
These rates are normal and to be expected based on resolution and frame rate.
Can you post a screenshot of QT with your MP4 showing the Movie Inspector with only 3.91 MB/s or even 5MB/s?  Thanks, just cusious to see the data...
2017-3-9
Use props
rossnzwpi
New

New Zealand

Here it is
cheers

QT file properties

QT file properties
2017-3-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Videos recorded to the SD card by the Mavic do not have audio tracks, this is likely downlinked video, streamed to the device.
2017-3-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You can't set bit rates/codecs for what gets saved to your MicroSD card, you can only choose from the formats, frame rates and resolutions offered up. Downlink video you do have some control over bit rate, should you need it.
2017-3-9
Use props
rossnzwpi
New

New Zealand

Thanks Ex Machina. But this video was on the MicroSD card fitted to the Mavic. It was removed from the mavic, plugged into my macbook SD card slot and copied over to my HDD. Does the onboard SD card also make copies of the video streamed wirelessly to the iPhone controller?
2017-3-9
Use props
rossnzwpi
New

New Zealand

Hi, mystery solved! The files were originally 60Mb/s then got downsized in post. Now I've tracked down the originals - I see my mistake. Thanks for all the comments.
2017-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules