Visiting France, Belgium, Netherlands-- Drone Laws and Regulations
5874 14 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

I will be visiting France, Belgium, and the Netherlands next month and will be taking my drone. I was hoping someone could help me with the drone laws and regulations. Obviously I will not be flying in a city or over people but plan on flying over the countryside and coastline.

Any help would be great! Thanks!

2017-3-9
Use props
VincentM
New

France

Hi Heneyca,
2017-3-10
Use props
VincentM
New

France

Hi Heneyca,

For France, it's pretty straight forward there are 10 rules you must follow : http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Rules%20for%20the%20proper%20use%20of%20a%20recreational%20drone_0.pdf

You can also use this website to know the high limit of flying : https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/donnees/restrictions-pour-drones-de-loisir

Hope it will help !

Have fun !
2017-3-10
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

VincentM Posted at 2017-3-10 00:33
Hi Heneyca,

For France, it's pretty straight forward there are 10 rules you must follow : http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/Rules%20for%20the%20proper%20use%20of%20a%20recreational%20drone_0.pdf

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!
2017-3-10
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

For Belgium forget it : Belgian licence is mandatory. Moreover, south Belgium and parts of north Belgium is covered with HTA (Helicopter Training Area from 0 AGL to 250ft AGL) and LFA (Low Flying Area, from 250ft AGL to 500ft AGL) which are active during weekdays.
For France, here is the link to the official (government) interactive map with restricted/forbidden areas : https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/d ... ur-drones-de-loisir
For Netherlands here is the link : http://www.drone.aeret.nl
Be careful with bird migration zones (green) in Netherlands : Dutch people takes this very seriously ! Don't fly in any of the coloured areas

Didn't find english version for you so you'l have to use a translator
2017-3-11
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2017-3-11 23:57
For Belgium forget it : Belgian licence is mandatory. Moreover, south Belgium and parts of north Belgium is covered with HTA (Helicopter Training Area from 0 AGL to 250ft AGL) and LFA (Low Flying Area, from 250ft AGL to 500ft AGL) which are active during weekdays.
For France, here is the link to the official (government) interactive map with restricted/forbidden areas : https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/donnees/restrictions-pour-drones-de-loisir
For Netherlands here is the link : http://www.drone.aeret.nl

Great! Thank you for the warning and the links! I had no idea the rules were so strict in Belgium.
2017-3-12
Use props
Ulysse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

You have a great freedom flying drones in the States compared to some countries in the world (including my country) ! Never forget this ;)
I have a "Class 2" licence : it cost me the price of a Phantom 4, my P4P is registered (almost 200$), I have the mandatory insurance (400$/year) and with this licence I can fly up to 45 meters above takeoff point), away from buildings, crowds, animals. So I fly only and strictly respecting the rules.
"Class 1" licence (3000$) allows flights up to 90 meters : medical exam (the same as the one for private pilots), theoretical exam and so on.
And our FAA equivalent is continuously chasing fb groups, video platforms and forum for outlaw pilots. Some of those "agents" are probably here.
2017-3-12
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

Ulysse Posted at 2017-3-12 09:35
You have a great freedom flying drones in the States compared to some countries in the world (including my country) ! Never forget this ;)
I have a "Class 2" licence : it cost me the price of a Phantom 4, my P4P is registered (almost 200$), I have the mandatory insurance (400$/year) and with this licence I can fly up to 45 meters above takeoff point), away from buildings, crowds, animals. So I fly only and strictly respecting the rules.
"Class 1" licence (3000$) allows flights up to 90 meters : medical exam (the same as the one for private pilots), theoretical exam and so on.

Wow!! I hope your FAA doesn't talk to our FAA and give them any ideas! I have heard rumors that our FAA is going to start cracking down but you do not have to look very hard on Youtube to find violations. I think it would be too difficult to reprimand consistently and fairly. But our FAA was somehow caught off guard by drones. Sounds like your country was ahead of it though.

You do have a beautiful country though. I really enjoyed visiting a few years ago and am really looking forward to visiting again. It is one of the friendliest places I have ever visited!
2017-3-12
Use props
C.G.
New

Austria

Hey there, I am Chris from Austria. As we her in Austia were the first european country, that made regulations ( for the Moment just for commercial ops, but private drones are following) Wath comes next for evry private Droneuser is an regestration  of the "UAV" and an webbased course and test in Rules an airspace.
2017-3-12
Use props
C.G.
New

Austria

Sorry I send to early...  When you are visting europe very soon you should not be worried.... Noone knows exactly whats going on... once in France the police came to our site.... but just wondering and making pictures....But dont get me wrong.... fly drones NEVER in Cities or other populated areas....If possible do not fly over privat Proppertys an houses, because  we europeans raly love our privacy...! By the way what kind of drone ...phantom , S1000 or even bigger ?  with phantom size you have absolutly no problem... just be carfully with other peaple... stay away... just an advise... Have an nice trip... and when you visit Austria, maybe next trip... give me a call ... and we check out the Alps ... I tell you ... the best footage i got from here... and i travel realy a lot.. :-)  
2017-3-12
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

C.G. Posted at 2017-3-12 17:09
Sorry I send to early...  When you are visting europe very soon you should not be worried.... Noone knows exactly whats going on... once in France the police came to our site.... but just wondering and making pictures....But dont get me wrong.... fly drones NEVER in Cities or other populated areas....If possible do not fly over privat Proppertys an houses, because  we europeans raly love our privacy...! By the way what kind of drone ...phantom , S1000 or even bigger ?  with phantom size you have absolutly no problem... just be carfully with other peaple... stay away... just an advise... Have an nice trip... and when you visit Austria, maybe next trip... give me a call ... and we check out the Alps ... I tell you ... the best footage i got from here... and i travel realy a lot.. :-)

Good to know! I am flying a Mavic so it is much easier to be discreet but still would prefer not to have to talk my way out of a jam haha.

I tried to fit Austria into the schedule for this trip but could not make it work. It is definitely on my bucket list though! Maybe next time and I will definitely take you up on your offer, I would love to see the alps!
2017-3-13
Use props
PatrickDeWinter
New
Belgium

Haneyca Posted at 2017-3-12 08:09
Great! Thank you for the warning and the links! I had no idea the rules were so strict in Belgium.

Yes, the rules are very strict here, but don't worry too much....as long as you stay away from buildings and populated areas, cities  (should be always the case).  
2017-3-31
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Hi, probably you are already in Europe.
For the Netherlands is pretty simple.
Not above people, not above housing/cities
Not higher then a 100m and always in a line of sight.

and there are a lot of restricted areas, which you can see on this interactive map here
2017-4-14
Use props
Commy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 91955 ft
Belgium

Yeah Belgium sucks, you can only fly 10 meters above ground max and it has to be in your own backyard or with permession of whoever owns the land (flying without license btw). Also no flying allowed over housing/cities/people and drone has to be always visible.

But in my opinion, if you fly abit responsible, like for example, at least 100 meters above ground, avoid large cities and people, only countrysides,... then no one will care that much about it.
2017-4-19
Use props
fansdfe65583
New
Flight distance : 276890 ft
Israel

Hello, Can you tell me how did your trip to France go in the end? did you take your Mavic and did you use it?
2017-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules