10 Common Mistakes Mavic Pro Pilots Make
67693 32 2017-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
China

Whether you’re an experienced pilot or just a beginner, we all make mistakes. But it’s best to avoid making them if you can! The Mavic is DJI’s most popular drone these days, so we’ve made a list of 10 common mistakes that Mavic pilots make when using their drone.

1.  Assuming the Vision Systems are Always Active

The Mavic is equipped with 5 cameras, 4 of which comprise the Forward and Downward Vision Systems. The Downward Vision System is also known as the VPS, or Vision Positioning System. The Downward Vision System helps the drone stabilize when you’re flying at or below 13 meters. The Forward Vision System helps the drone avoid obstacles, whether you’re flying around manually or automatically returning to home.

While these systems are useful, they won’t save you from an accident in every possible situation. This is particularly true in low light. These systems need ample light to function, so if you’re flying at night, they won’t be active. Both Vision Systems also won’t be active in Sport Mode.

There are a couple of ways you can tell whether or not your Vision Systems are active. One is the LED at the back of the drone, also known as the Aircraft Status Indicator.  When the Visions Systems are inactive, it will flash green slowly if you have GPS or flash yellow slowly if you don’t have GPS. The other is with DJI GO 4. You can see if the Vision Systems are inactive from the app. If the sensor icon in the upper left corner is red, then your Vision Systems is inactive.

1.jpg

2. Assuming the Forward Vision System Can Detect Everything
2.jpg

The Forward Vision System won’t always detect thin objects, like power lines or tree branches, or transparent surfaces, like glass windows. While the Mavic’s obstacle avoidance capabilities can potentially save your drone, it’s always smart to fly safely and avoid obstacles manually when possible.

3. Not Removing the Gimbal Cover during Flight

Let’s go over some Mavic terminology. A DJI Mavic has 2 pieces of plastic protecting its gimbal. One is called the Gimbal Cover. This is the astronaut helmet bubble that protects your gimbal and camera lens from being damaged. The other is the Gimbal Clamp, which locks the gimbal in place and keeps it from moving around during transport.

3.jpg

Leaving the Gimbal Cover on during flight isn’t necessarily a mistake, depending on what you want to do. Leaving the cover on during flight will make sure your Mavic’s gimbal camera is protected from the elements, such as dust or water. It will give you an extra level of protection if you’re concerned about something hitting it. So if you just plan on exploring your area or zooming around (safely) in Sport mode, you can leave it on. It won’t affect gimbal or flight performance.

But, if you want the best image quality, possible, it’s a good idea to remove the cover. For example, leaving the Gimbal Cover on makes it more likely that you’ll get lens flare, and your shots may not look clean if the cover is dirty.

So there’s a trade-off: leave the cover on for extra protection, or take it off for the best image quality possible.

4. Forgetting to Remove/Attach the Gimbal Clamp
4.1.png

Remember to take off your Gimbal Clamp before you turn on the Mavic, and put it back on when you’re done flying! The Mavic certainly has the fastest setup time of any DJI drone to date, but it can be easy to forget about the Gimbal Clamp during setup and when you’re putting it away.

If you leave the clamp on when you’re powering the drone on, the gimbal motors will try to initialize the gimbal, but ultimately fail. The aircraft status bar in DJI GO will also give you a warning.

4.2.jpeg

Forgetting to remove the Gimbal Clamp strains the gimbal motors, and over time it will decrease the gimbal’s longevity. If you forget to put it on after flight, it will move around during transport, and the chances of it being damaged will increase.

Also, if you’re wondering how best to put on the gimbal clamp, here’s a video we made about how to attach it.

5. Flying in Unsuitable Environments

5.jpg

There are a number of environments that we suggest you don’t fly in:

• Don’t use the aircraft in severe weather conditions, including high wind speeds exceeding 10m/s, snow, rain and fog.
  • Only fly in open areas. Tall or large metal structures may affect the accuracy of the onboard compass and GPS.
  • Avoid obstacles, crowds, high voltage power lines, trees and water.
  • Minimize interference by avoiding areas with high levels of electromagnetism, including near base stations and radio transmission towers.
  • Aircraft and battery performance is subject to environmental factors such as air pressure and temperature. Be very careful when flying at altitudes greater than 19685 feet (6000 meters) above sea level, as the performance of battery and aircraft may be affected

6. Crashing while Braking

6.png

Say you’re flying really fast, and all of a sudden, you realize there’s an obstacle in front of your Mavic. Even if you stop pushing the aircraft forward, it will still drift forward a bit due to inertia. While the Forward Vision System may protect the aircraft in such situations, as we discussed before, the Forward Vision System isn’t always active and won’t recognize all objects. If you’re gunning it toward an obstruction and release the stick just before you reach it, your drone may crash.

Remember that it takes time for your drone to brake, and keep a safe distance from obstacles.

7. Failure to Avoid Obstacles Beyond Line-of-Sight

When you fly your aircraft beyond Line-of-Sight (often abbreviated as LOS), you can only see what’s surrounding your drone with the camera view in the DJI Go app. In such situations, you’re much more likely to crash.

7.png

Only fly within LOS! If you absolutely need to fly beyond LOS, make sure to have a spotter and set the RTH height higher than the tallest obstacle in the area.

8. Flying Backwards Quickly
While the Phantom 4 Pro has a Rear Vision System, the Mavic Pro does not. Since the Mavic’s camera can only face forward, it’s impossible to see what’s behind it in the camera view. There’s always a possibility of crashing if you’re flying backwards at break-neck speed and staring at your phone or tablet screen.

8.jpg

9. Flying Indoors

9.jpg

A lot of new pilots like testing their drones indoors. However, due to a lack of ample GPS signal indoors, the Mavic is much more likely to drift. Even with the VPS active, many floors are monochrome, which makes it hard for the VPS to detect surface patterns and stabilize accordingly. Additionally, many floors are carpeted. Carpet absorbs ultrasound, and DJI drones use ultrasonic sensors to stabilize.

If you’re an experience pilot and you know what you’re doing, go ahead and fly inside. But don’t practice indoors if you’re a beginner! Practice in the DJI GO Flight Simulator or an open, outdoor area.

10. Misoperation during RTH
10.jpg

A lot of users don’t understand how exactly RTH works and wonder why their drone landed instead of returning to the home point, or why their drone flew up into some tree branches when they initiated RTH.

First of all, if you command the Mavic to return to home within 5 meters of the home point, the aircraft will land right where it is instead of rising up to the RTH height and returning to the home point.

If RTH is triggered within 5 and 20 meters of the home point and the Forward Vision System is active, it will ascend to 10 meters, if you’re flying lower than 10 meters, and return to the home point. If it’s above 10 meters, it will return at the current altitude. If the Forward Vision System isn’t active, the aircraft will land automatically.

Finally, if the aircraft if further than 20 meters away, it will rise to the RTH height you set in the app if it’s lower than that height before function is triggered. 20 meters is lowest RTH height you can set.

Just remember that you can press the pause button on the RC to stop the RTH process at any time!

Thanks for reading everyone!

This list certainly isn’t exhaustive, so if you have any advice of your own for Mavic owners, feel free to share it. For more from DJI Support…

Like DJI Support on Facebook!
Follow DJI Support on Twitter!
Subscribe to DJI Support on YouTube!
2017-3-9
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Thanks for the info. Very worthwhile but I have one question regarding your comment:"First of all, if you command a DJI drone to return to home within 20 meters of the home point, the aircraft will land right where it is instead of rising up to the RTH height and returning to the home point."
I have used the RTH within 20mts on a number of occasions and it has always returned to the takeoff point. What it doesn't do is climb to the RTH altitude when it is within 20mts.
So is this an anomaly?

2017-3-9
Use props
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-3-9 21:53
Thanks for the info. Very worthwhile but I have one question regarding your comment:"First of all, if you command a DJI drone to return to home within 20 meters of the home point, the aircraft will land right where it is instead of rising up to the RTH height and returning to the home point."
I have used the RTH within 20mts on a number of occasions and it has always returned to the takeoff point. What it doesn't do is climb to the RTH altitude when it is within 20mts.
So is this an anomaly?

It's not an anomaly, it will land automatically only if it's within 5 meters, or if the Forward Vision System is inactive and the drone is 5-20 meters away. We've edited the article.
2017-3-9
Use props
iFlyKid
lvl.2
United States

What happens if you forget to remove the gimble once or twice? It happened to me once already
2017-3-10
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-3-10 14:56
What happens if you forget to remove the gimble once or twice? It happened to me once already

nothing I have done it many times by accident and I haven't had any problems just make sure to check everything before turning it on. However, you should be fine if it happens a couple times just re-calibrate after.
2017-3-10
Use props
Rick-Becco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48146 ft
United States

This would be nice if there was a way to print it in word.
Is it possible to convert this first part the ten commandants.
2017-3-11
Use props
Snaver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45226 ft
United States

When is DJI going to offer a replacement Gimble Clamp for the Mavic?
2017-3-11
Use props
RMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93215 ft
Canada

#9 excellent advice - but too late. 4 props and scratched the TV set
2017-3-11
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe add another one,...

11.  Never assume the Go 4 app will continue working, it will continually crash on you (some multiple times in a single flight) , usually just as you fly the drone out of sight, this can be very dangerous especially while flying in SPORT mode. Get used to the app crashing and always be prepared, release the control sticks and be willing to spend anything between 10 seconds and 5 minutes getting the app to work again. In some cases the app will refuse to work and will leave you completely blind, in such a case either ascend the craft until you can see it or press the RTH button on the controller and hope for the best.  
2017-3-11
Use props
fans221fee49
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265495 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Gusmtb Posted at 2017-3-11 08:30

11.  Never assume the Go 4 app will continue working, it will continually crash on you (some multiple times in a single flight) , usually just as you fly the drone out of sight, this can be very dangerous especially while flying in SPORT mode. Get used to the app crashing and always be prepared, release the control sticks and be willing to spend anything between 10 seconds and 5 minutes getting the app to work again. In some cases the app will refuse to work and will leave you completely blind, in such a case either ascend the craft until you can see it or press the RTH button on the controller and hope for the best.

I have a mavic and an inspire 1 so i use both version of DJI Go.  I never have any issue with Go crashing on ipad mini, Galaxy S2 tablet or my two Note 4s.  I would guess the issue is with your device.
2017-3-11
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

fans221fee49 Posted at 2017-3-11 08:57
I have a mavic and an inspire 1 so i use both version of DJI Go.  I never have any issue with Go crashing on ipad mini, Galaxy S2 tablet or my two Note 4s.  I would guess the issue is with your device.

Sadly it's a very well known issue.
2017-3-11
Use props
AESTHETIC VIEWS
lvl.2
United States

great post
2017-3-11
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

Good stuff.
2017-3-19
Use props
fansef7f97bb
New

Italy

Assuming you buy a brand new Mavic pro and after installing the app and successfully connected the machine to your Samsung Galaxy S tablet you are not able to have clear images from camera but only scrambled green and grey band which are mostly covering the view, and this test has being done on three different Android devices. So what am I  supposed to do in this case? I don't want to buy an I-phone for that.
2017-3-20
Use props
Citation
lvl.3
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

a refresher is always good. thank you kindly
2017-3-20
Use props
fans489c0d08
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13406293 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fansef7f97bb Posted at 2017-3-20 09:02
Assuming you buy a brand new Mavic pro and after installing the app and successfully connected the machine to your Samsung Galaxy S tablet you are not able to have clear images from camera but only scrambled green and grey band which are mostly covering the view, and this test has being done on three different Android devices. So what am I  supposed to do in this case? I don't want to buy an I-phone for that.

Re Camera Problems ,I had same re Zebra Lines across my screen In both Video and Camera mode.Went to camera settings and turned off my White Balance /Contrast monitor and warning switch .Hope it helps
2017-3-22
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Gusmtb Posted at 2017-3-11 08:30

You are not "completely blind" if the go app crashes. There is more than enough information displayed on the controller for you to get your drone back safely so long as you have surveyed your flight area in advance (even beyond line of sight).
1 Gain height
2 Fly forward and note if the controller registers the distance increasing or decreasing  from you. Then fly left and right and note the same. This way you can orientate the drone relative to the stick inputs.
3. If the drone is within line of sight but you don't can't tell which way it's facing, do the same as above and watch how the drone reacts. Once again you can work out the drone's orientation from these basic manoeuvres.
2017-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

iFlyKid Posted at 2017-3-10 14:56

It's not good to leave gimbal clamp on there is a danger of overloading the motors. I would recommend you get yourself a preflight checklist they do help and insure you have everything ready before you fly.

Good luck..
2017-3-23
Use props
4wesomeAdam
lvl.4
United States

I think people should have a preflight checklist. Including:

• Inspect the batteries for damage and battery connections for debries
  • Makie sure the gimbal clamp and protective cover are removed
  • Inspect the props before each flight.
  • Also making note of cell phone towers / communication equipment which can interfere with the controller.
  • Possibly scouting the area for alternative LZs if there is an emergency or limited flat open spaces to land the drone.

I once took off with the grey opaque sleeve over the gimbal cover still on the drone. Thankfully it fell off where I could retrieve it.
2017-3-23
Use props
Druma78
New
Russia

Many thanks guys! It's clear to understand
2017-6-17
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-23 00:04
You are not "completely blind" if the go app crashes. There is more than enough information displayed on the controller for you to get your drone back safely so long as you have surveyed your flight area in advance (even beyond line of sight).
1 Gain height
2 Fly forward and note if the controller registers the distance increasing or decreasing  from you. Then fly left and right and note the same. This way you can orientate the drone relative to the stick inputs.

I think this is an important point.  You do not need the app to fly.  I have a hard time with the constant "My app crashed and I lost control of my Mavic and crashed into the river" sort of stories.   The remote is what's controlling Mavic, after all.  The app just controls the controller.
2017-6-17
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
Austria

Thanks for this!

Can you clarify or rephrase this section? It's a little confusing the way it is written.

"If RTH is triggered within 5 and 20 meters of the home point and the Forward Vision System is active, it will ascend to 10 meters, if you’re flying lower than 10 meters, and return to the home point. If it’s above 10 meters, it will return at the current altitude. If the Forward Vision System isn’t active, the aircraft will land automatically."

Also, if you are in sport mode, how does RTH work?  
2017-6-17
Use props
Capt Jack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 37566 ft

United States

One of the top 5 post I have read since becoming a part of the Mavic family!! Very nicely done.
2017-6-18
Use props
fans96a18bf0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 166047 ft
Norway

Earlier this year I tried to use the Mavic in follow-mode while skiing down a mountainside with no trees. However, as I decended, the drone flew further and further away from me, and when viewing the playback video, I was just a tiny black dot in the footage. Is this normal behaviour? I thought the drone would follow in a somewhat equal distance to when I started the follow-me-mode?

Also remember: Set your RTH point to the RC when in a moving condition, like boats, skiing etc. Otherwise the drone will fly back to the top of the mountain while you are standing at the parkinglot down below.
2017-7-28
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

thanks
2017-7-28
Use props
Sportbike*Pilot
lvl.2

United States

Excellent tips, many thanks for posting.
2017-7-28
Use props
Ackermodul95
lvl.2
Germany

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-23 00:04
1 Gain height

That was helpful
Thx!
2017-7-28
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

fans96a18bf0 Posted at 2017-7-28 06:46
Earlier this year I tried to use the Mavic in follow-mode while skiing down a mountainside with no trees. However, as I decended, the drone flew further and further away from me, and when viewing the playback video, I was just a tiny black dot in the footage. Is this normal behaviour? I thought the drone would follow in a somewhat equal distance to when I started the follow-me-mode?

Also remember: Set your RTH point to the RC when in a moving condition, like boats, skiing etc. Otherwise the drone will fly back to the top of the mountain while you are standing at the parkinglot down below.

I've never used follow me mode so I'm afraid I can't help with that. However, take great care when using RTH to the controller. Using this method will return the drone to the controller at the last known position of the controller when you pressed the RTH controller icon. As I understand it to be, the RTH will not "roam" with the controller but only reset to the controller at it's current position when initiated.
2017-7-28
Use props
Tubarao
lvl.1
Brazil

Very good tips, thanks a lot.
2017-9-18
Use props
djiuser_Qi4Wqrv
New

United States

When a newbie I was flying over water only to have the Mavic stop dead in it's tracks.  I was getting a message that there was an obstacle when in the middle of a lake.  Turns out water reflection confused the obstacle avoidance.  I was too new to know the screens and where I could have (1) flown backwards, (2) turned off obstacle avoidance or (3) entered sport mode - I just didn't think of these in my panic mode or know where the screens were.  With only 27% battery I flew back to my last location to get over land and then followed the shoreline home landing with 7% battery power.  Lesson - learn the screens, enable multiple flight modes (sport mode) and be prepared for the unknown with battery power reserved.
2017-9-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for this list.
Very useful!
2017-9-26
Use props
netfolks2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19544 ft
United States

fans96a18bf0 Posted at 2017-7-28 06:46

Yes, but remember when you set the RC as the new home point, if you move on to another location, that original place where you set the RC as the new home point is STILL the home point.  If you want the drone to land elsewhere, such as where you have relocated, you will have to RE-SET the RC as the home point again.
2017-11-6
Use props
fansc1583964
lvl.1
United States

RMan Posted at 2017-3-11 08:09
#9 excellent advice - but too late. 4 props and scratched the TV set

IF you fly indoors, make sure to switch the controller to Tripod Mode and set the lost controller signal to hover. The drone is way easier to control in tripod.
2018-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules