Are we supposed to be able to see the NFZs on the in-app map?
1932 19 2017-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Hi, I've come across this video on YouTube where a guy goes through the DJI Go4 app, and I've noticed that he can see the NFZs and the different (green/yellow) areas.

Minute 3:47 of this video:

Are we supposed to be able to see them? At least on Android I can't see them, and as far as I know for some friends they can't see them either in IOS.

2017-3-10
Use props
tellus1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

Very curious about this. I cant see them on my app either
2017-3-10
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

As the video shows, you have to zoom out quite a bit before the now fly zones actually show up.  You need to see around 15 to 20 miles top to bottom.  Try zooming way way out and see if they show up.
2017-3-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Depending on the operating system of your mobile device, but a good way to do it is to cache the maps before hand and you can do it on Android by zooming in and out, but with IOS I think on the top right corner of the App you will have and option to do so. Also is advisable to download the offline maps of the areas you tend to fly more often.

2017-3-10
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

AACY Posted at 2017-3-10 03:32
Depending on the operating system of your mobile device, but a good way to do it is to cache the maps before hand and you can do it on Android by zooming in and out, but with IOS I think on the top right corner of the App you will have and option to do so. Also is advisable to download the offline maps of the areas you tend to fly more often.

It's not about the caching. My map is displayed correctly, I can select the layer I want/whatever. But I can't see the NFZ, restricted areas, etc... anbd it seems they're displayed in this guy's device.
2017-3-10
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-3-10 03:04
As the video shows, you have to zoom out quite a bit before the now fly zones actually show up.  You need to see around 15 to 20 miles top to bottom.  Try zooming way way out and see if they show up.

Nope, they aren't there... I'm on Android though, it's yours IOS?
2017-3-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-10 03:43
It's not about the caching. My map is displayed correctly, I can select the layer I want/whatever. But I can't see the NFZ, restricted areas, etc... anbd it seems they're displayed in this guy's device.

I mentioned since this is a small issue that I was having and reported directly to DJI, before their latest update. The following is extracted from a conversation I had with DJI Support to check if everything was working in a correct manner.

"For the restricted zone display, it will be showing that when the drone is connected and under the non fly zone. Generally speaking, It will not relate to the network. You can cache the map before the flying and test it again."
After doing this, I was able to confirm that everything was working properly and displaying the NFZ, now this became standard procedure before any flight I take.
2017-3-10
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

AACY Posted at 2017-3-10 03:48
I mentioned since this is a small issue that I was having and reported directly to DJI, before their latest update. The following is extracted from a conversation I had with DJI Support to check if everything was working in a correct manner.

"For the restricted zone display, it will be showing that when the drone is connected and under the non fly zone. Generally speaking, It will not relate to the network. You can cache the map before the flying and test it again."

Oh, so basically it will only display the NFZ when you are infact inside one of them? LoL
2017-3-10
Use props
Eyesaround
lvl.1
Flight distance : 271010 ft
Argentina

In my case it only shows NFZ that are at a certain distance. For instance, there is an airport 5km away from my place that I see regularly on the map. There is another one that is 25km away. That one only apeared on the map once I was 1km from it
2017-3-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-10 04:07
Oh, so basically it will only display the NFZ when you are infact inside one of them? LoL

That's right, either inside or in a range which your drone would be capable or reaching the NFZ let's say about 7Kms out from the Airport's center.
2017-3-10
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

Eyesaround Posted at 2017-3-10 04:56
In my case it only shows NFZ that are at a certain distance. For instance, there is an airport 5km away from my place that I see regularly on the map. There is another one that is 25km away. That one only apeared on the map once I was 1km from it

Well that's funny, because I live relativelly close to a small airfield which is supposed to be NFZ (although my house is not into the NFZ it's like 100 m from the edge of it and still it does not display anything.. I'll retest this evening I guess, maybe I didn't noticed...
2017-3-10
Use props
Eyesaround
lvl.1
Flight distance : 271010 ft
Chile

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-10 06:24
Well that's funny, because I live relativelly close to a small airfield which is supposed to be NFZ (although my house is not into the NFZ it's like 100 m from the edge of it and still it does not display anything.. I'll retest this evening I guess, maybe I didn't noticed...

The ones I am talking about are both international airports with considerable air traffic.
2017-3-10
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
United States

Eyesaround Posted at 2017-3-10 07:11
The ones I am talking about are both international airports with considerable air traffic.

Exactly, I believe that from what I had read, the only place where very small fields are actually appearing is in America, but I might be wrong.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-10 06:24

To see NFZ's or authorization zones you have to power on the aircraft and get GPS lock. And it only gives you the zones within a certain radius (you can't scroll the map 50 miles away and see any zones).
If you are within the radius about (10-15 miles) then you'll see all the zones if you have GEO  enabled. If you have GEO disabled all you'll see is thre NFZ's

If you tap the gear icon in the map view you can also display other zones (Class, B,C,D,E airspace, heliports, stadiums, and others.
2017-3-10
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-10 03:45
Nope, they aren't there... I'm on Android though, it's yours IOS?

Android only.. Galaxy S7.
2017-3-11
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

AACY Posted at 2017-3-10 05:56
That's right, either inside or in a range which your drone would be capable or reaching the NFZ let's say about 7Kms out from the Airport's center.

If NFZs don't show until you are "in" them DJI will be replacing some aircraft as the bird will enter an irreversible auto-land sequence if you inadvertently enter an NFZ.
2017-3-11
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
China

Poop Chute Posted at 2017-3-11 06:16
If NFZs don't show until you are "in" them DJI will be replacing some aircraft as the bird will enter an irreversible auto-land sequence if you inadvertently enter an NFZ.

They show prior you enter them (maybe my wording was not correct), and should be also your responsibility to know and be aware if there is any airport or exclusion zone in the vicinity.

At the end we are the sole responsibles for the the safe flight and operation of the AC. DJI is providing tools to make this task easier, this is not a 100% secure fail safe,  and we should never rely 100% on any fail safe for the matter being, and must always have contingency plans for any situation that might come.
2017-3-11
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

The problem is they have the aircraft entering an irreversible auto-land if you enter an NFZ.  I watched this happen to a friend several months back when flying near a stadium where the NFZ was not identified.  Suddenly the aircraft announced "Landing initiated" or words to that effect & it was sheer luck it didn't set down on the expressway.  It doesn't allow you to back out.  Once you hit the NFZ it lands.  What if you're flying and the area becomes a temporary NFZ?  What if there is a stadium where the vast majority of the time it's OK to fly except during Games?  What the aircraft SHOULD do is stop further progress into the NFZ & allow you to withdraw.  Forcing an irreversible auto-land sequence is likely to get someone hurt.  JMHO
2017-3-11
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-10 09:50
To see NFZ's or authorization zones you have to power on the aircraft and get GPS lock. And it only gives you the zones within a certain radius (you can't scroll the map 50 miles away and see any zones).
If you are within the radius about (10-15 miles) then you'll see all the zones if you have GEO  enabled. If you have GEO disabled all you'll see is thre NFZ's

Good to know! i'll try that!
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-13 00:03
Good to know! i'll try that!

No problem, have a great week.
2017-3-13