Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Lost my Mavic
2614 26 2017-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

Guys wanted to let you know that I lost my Mavic. Be careful of using point of Interest and then losing connection.For some reason I lost connection at 1.5 km from lauch point. I was in a car like 500 meters from it. In sight. I had the windows open and was looking at it. Then it went of course and I was still up and it lower attitute and went into a mountain range that is closed. Beware of using point of interest.
2017-3-10
Use props
Eyesaround
lvl.1
Flight distance : 271010 ft
Chile

More info? Can you upload you flight log?
2017-3-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Seems strange, your logs will help see what might have gone wrong, were you in the car with controller?
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you sync your flight records and provide your email used with the GO app I will review the flight to see if I see anything unusual.
The Mavic is a very reliable aircraft, it's strange that losing connection during POI would make it go in a different direction then the home point.And sorry that you lost your aircraft.
2017-3-10
Use props
fansc2962bbc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Sweden

Yes the Mavic is really very reliable
2017-3-10
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
United States

It is not reliable. I have already synced it. With the same forum email.
2017-3-10
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Not like the inside of a car is like a Faraday cage or anything .
2017-3-10
Use props
mewchi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 614931 ft
United States

I have found it to be extremely reliable.  I have logged over 50 flights and 40 miles with mine without a hiccup.  The key issue may be being in a car.  Like someone said before it is like a faraday cage.  
2017-3-10
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
United States

My antennas where pointed properly outside the window straight out at the Mavic.
2017-3-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-3-10 14:52
Not like the inside of a car is like a Faraday cage or anything .

Exactly, it isn't.  New cars are manufactured using less metal.  He also said he had big holes in your faraday cage (windows open).  So the small wavelength of 2.4Ghz easily gets inside that big window opening.  Also, a faraday cage is more for the EM waves, which you probably already know.  
2017-3-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-10 16:38
My antennas where pointed properly outside the window straight out at the Mavic.

I am curious if the Mavic continued to log the disconnect.  I've had this happen & looking at the logs revealed that the Mavic stopped logging 3 minutes prior!  This was after using Activetrack & Cinematic Modes during a flight on FW x.x.300.
2017-3-10
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
United States

I think it is the software because I was at 70% battery and launched at 100%. So it wont just land.
2017-3-10
Use props
yoengel
First Officer
Flight distance : 2370988 ft
  • >>>
United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-10 16:38

Your antennas are supposed to be perpendicular to the Mavic, not pointed at it.
2017-3-10
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
United States

I know like 45 degrees. Read the manual.
2017-3-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry for your loss. There can be a lot of factors at play when you're in a car and not out in the open. DJI will look at the logs and see whether or not it's anything can can be covered under warranty.
2017-3-10
Use props
rydfree41
Second Officer
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-3-10 16:59
Exactly, it isn't.  New cars are manufactured using less metal.  He also said he had big holes in your faraday cage (windows open).  So the small wavelength of 2.4Ghz easily gets inside that big window opening.  Also, a faraday cage is more for the EM waves, which you probably already know.

I've tested my Taranis and a friends Futaba 2.4 by placing it in range test mode and the signals went to crap when we sat in the car . We were going to use a QAV500 drone a couple years ago to fly over some of the guys muddin' in 4 wheel drives but did not chance it because of the signal .
2017-3-11
Use props
GMG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

mewchi Posted at 2017-3-10 15:13
I have found it to be extremely reliable.  I have logged over 50 flights and 40 miles with mine without a hiccup.  The key issue may be being in a car.  Like someone said before it is like a faraday cage.

I thought the same until I had about 90kms and 60 flights on the clock.  But a sudden shift from 19 satellites on 5 bar signal strength to ATTI mode at low altitude in the wind certainly knocks your faith.  It only needs to happen once.
2017-3-11
Use props
MDSH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 334869 ft
United Kingdom

GMG Posted at 2017-3-11 12:21
I thought the same until I had about 90kms and 60 flights on the clock.  But a sudden shift from 19 satellites on 5 bar signal strength to ATTI mode at low altitude in the wind certainly knocks your faith.  It only needs to happen once.

"But a sudden shift from 19 satellites on 5 bar signal strength to ATTI mode ... certainly knocks your faith.  It only needs to happen once."Been there...
If only there was a way to practice ATTI mode.
2017-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-10 17:37
I know like 45 degrees. Read the manual.

You were 1.5 k from take off position, 500 meters from Mavic driving in a car with your hands out the window, shooting in POI .
I'm completely baffled from 500 meters you had VLOS and you were filming a POI, it's extremely difficult to see Mavic from 500 meters, but to set a POI from 1.5k how do you do this.
Maybe if you post your logs we can understand a little more..
2017-3-11
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Captain
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-11 18:11
You were 1.5 k from take off position, 500 meters from Mavic driving in a car with your hands out the window, shooting in POI .
I'm completely baffled from 500 meters you had VLOS and you were filming a POI, it's extremely difficult to see Mavic from 500 meters, but to set a POI from 1.5k how do you do this.
Maybe if you post your logs we can understand a little more..

It's not hard at all to see the Mavic from 500 meters on a clear, sunny day.  I find the dark color much easier to spot against a bright sky than the white of the phantoms.

That point notwithstanding, I hope we get to see the logs.  If it really lost connection, then the flying into the mountains was surely RTH activating and then flying back straight towards the home point.

I'd really like to know how this turns out.  Here in the US it's against the law to fly a drone from a moving vehicle on land, but I've been experimenting with it from a moving boat and I could sort of see this kind of thing happening to me in that mode.
2017-3-11
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
United States

I had it is sight, I saw it crash.
2017-3-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-3-11 19:24
It's not hard at all to see the Mavic from 500 meters on a clear, sunny day.  I find the dark color much easier to spot against a bright sky than the white of the phantoms.

That point notwithstanding, I hope we get to see the logs.  If it really lost connection, then the flying into the mountains was surely RTH activating and then flying back straight towards the home point.

I have read many crashes here, regarding flying active track and POI, I haven't seen any yet where dji has not claimed pilot error, these methods of flying are all auto pilot, but can be cancelled very simply, if radio signal is lost then the Mavic should return home hover or return to remote if pilot or just land. That fact that op saw it crash is very unusual.
If it lost gps that's a very different thing, it would just drift until it crashes or runs out of battery. The op has not said he lost gps, so I think it would be good to know what happened here, so that's why I asked op twice to put up logs...
2017-3-12
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
United States

I just lost connection and then after the crash on the mountain I got connection. How does that even work?
2017-3-12
Use props
mewchi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 614931 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-3-10 16:59

Modern cars also have lots of interference being generated off of them.  My audi has a built in wifi hotspot which could also interfere.  Then you include ignition system leakage, TPMS signals and whatever else the car has for features and the variables just grow from there.  Windows don't always represent an opening in the cage as well.  Some cars have windows and windshields with coatings that interfere with radio signals. For instance I have an SUV that the fastrak transponder doesn't work in because of the windshield coating.  The way I see it is the world has too many unknown signals to always go just blaming it on DJI.  Pick up an SDR and scan the band and see what I mean.  It's a crowded world.  
2017-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-12 10:54
I just lost connection and then after the crash on the mountain I got connection. How does that even work?

Hi KevDrones if you want to know what happened, just put logs up.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog
2017-3-12
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.1

United States

KevDrones Posted at 2017-3-10 14:40
It is not reliable. I have already synced it. With the same forum email.

My Mavic has over 100 long flights, including complex Litchi missions.  She runs the same missions as her larger siblings.  No issues other than being difficult to focus in low light conditions.

2017-3-12
Use props
Beamer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597096 ft
United States

I too just lost my Mavic today for no good reason. It just disappeared. /Users/stevebeamer/Downloads/IMG_7459.PNG

Support. please check my flight logs and see that it must be a system malfuction. spambeamer@gmail.com

2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules