Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
No Fly Zone decoder?
2874 7 2017-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cutaway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1942835 ft
United States

Fellas, I got my first NFZ showstopper today.  Mavic would not take off.  I checked DJI's fly-safe website. Nothing.  I wish there was a way to know ahead of time.  

I usually check for the weather and airports/TFRs before flight.  How could I have known that where I was going to fly is a NFZ?  I tried click on the yellow circle on the app.  No joy.

NFZ

NFZ

DJI

DJI

And what's the point of unlocking the "Authorization Zone"?  Is that for commerical pilots with permits?

Auth Zone

Auth Zone

2017-3-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Weird. Maybe the restriction is one of those temporary "VIP flying over today" deals that might not get captured by DJI's map? Do you carry around the FAA's B4UFLY or Airmap apps that you can refer to next time?

The practical point of unlocking an authorization zone is to indemnify DJI from a customer misusing one of their drones.

What you are showing in that last screengrab is a self-authorization zone, which if you were prompted with a warning, you should have been able to use to allow flight at that location if you have a data connection and a verified account.

I'd send an email to flysafe@dji.com and ask them to suss things out, but let us know how it turns out.
2017-3-10
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

The FAA app is a joke. Now with Donald Trump at the helm leading a corporate coup of our democracy, I expect it to get much worse.
2017-3-10
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
United States

Have you heard of Kittyhawk app?
2017-3-10
Use props
Cutaway
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1942835 ft
United States

Supervisor Posted at 2017-3-10 20:07
Have you heard of Kittyhawk app?
[view_image]

Hi Supervisor!  (nice handle)

Yes I do have that app.  There are so many apps...so I opted to use the Airmap and the FAA apps.   Cheers.
2017-3-10
Use props
Airobotix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

I use NATS Drone Assist here in the UK
2017-3-11
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
United States

Cutaway Posted at 2017-3-10 21:29
Hi Supervisor!  (nice handle)

Yes I do have that app.  There are so many apps...so I opted to use the Airmap and the FAA apps.   Cheers.

Airmaps is great. In fact, all of these apps use feeds from Airmaps. The FAA app is not reliable though. The reviews are not very promising.
2017-3-11
Use props
Joshua Ziering
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

Thank you very much for using Kittyhawk. We work with closely with Airmap and do take advantage of their data to show on our maps. We also have some exciting features just for DJI pilots coming out very soon.

We pride ourselves on building something that the community wants so if you have any suggestions for improvements or feature requests, don't hesitate to contact us from the Support section of the app. The "Call Or Text The Founders" button goes directly to our phones.

Thank you for flying Kittyhawk,

Josh Ziering
Co-Founder, Kittyhawk.io
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules