Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Somewhat Frustrated!
1797 20 2017-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tvl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

OK, here is a follow-up to my original thread that is "stuck" on the last page of the Phantom 4 section. Following is a link to the thread if needed:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-84639-1-1.html

***  Today, March 10th, I received my replacement unit from DJI. Although I was informed they would be repairing the unit that fell to the ground, it appears they simply replaced it. The replacement does has a different serial number than the one I sent in, does appear to be new and not a refurbished unit and the serial number inside the battery case does NOT have a "R" at the end of  it. However, I need some information to help resolve what Im HOPING is a small issue and I won't be required to return this unit.

1- I calibrated everthing before first test flight - (front sensors, IMU, gimbal, compass and remote controller)
2- Just sitting idle with no power, the gimbal has free movement in ALL directions and I can feel absolutely NO restriction of any kind in this mode.
3- When the unit is powered up, the gimbal goes through its self programmed movements. The camera points up, down and then back to the straight ahead position.
4- When I have the unit linked to the controller and move the gimbal dial, I am experiencing two issues that I hope someone can help with. It would certainly be a shame to be required to return this unit for another month.

Issue #1:  utilizing the gimbal thumbwheel on the controller, I can tilt the camera straight down (-90 degrees) and return it to the straight ahead setting of 0 degrees. However, the camera can NOT be tilted above 0 degrees. According to the manual (page 39), the camera should be able to tilt upwards to +30 degrees. I only had my first unit 15 days before the incident, but I'm fairly confident I had tilted the camera upwards at least once while I had it. What could be the issue here. Please do remember in item 3 above that during power up, the camera points up and down as it runs through its diagnostics ............. so, the camera seems to be functioning properly at that point and has no issue whatsoever in pointing upward!

Is this a remote controller issue of some sort ????????????????????

Issue #2:  while I have the unit powered up, as well as the remote controller, and the two are linked, i have discoverd a second issue. WhenI move the gimbal thumbwheel to position the camera, there is a noise coming from the gimbal as the camera makes it move downwards or back up to the straight ahead position. It's somewhat difficult to describe, but the noise sounds something like a grinding sound and sometimes the noise even sounds something like a groan. I have felt around the gimbal area while utilizing the thumbwheel to see if I could determine where the noise/grinding is occurring. I'm almost 100% the noise is from the area depicted in the attached photo. I don't want to ruin my warranty, but is there something in this area that requires just a SMALL amount of lubricant ??????????????????

P4 Gimbal

P4 Gimbal
2017-3-10
Use props
Lb650
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1217762 ft
Canada

There is a setting in the app  to allow gimble to tilt up 30deg     As for the groan sound  I know it  but mine only does it when I do an imu calibration as the gimbal tends to sag during and then when it rtns it makes the groan sound
2017-3-10
Use props
Lb650
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1217762 ft
Canada

There is a setting in the app  to allow gimble to tilt up 30deg     As for the groan sound  I know it  but mine only does it when I do an imu calibration as the gimbal tends to sag during and then when it rtns it makes the groan sound
2017-3-10
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
United States

Lb650 Posted at 2017-3-10 19:55

Thanks so very much Lb650!

Issue #1 has been resolved. I wasn't aware of the setting in the app and I don't recall this being mentioned in the manual. Anyway, I have configured the app and the camera NOW tilts upward as it should!  Thanks again!

Now, I do NOT recall my first drone having this grinding OR groaning sound. I do recall when I made the initial sensor calibration back then, the unit made no unusual sounds during the process. Today, this new unit made these weird sounds as I tilted the drone at various angles during the sensor calibration process. Of course, it also makes the unusual sounds as I tilt the camera up and down with the remote controller's gimbal thumbwheel. It certainly FEELS as if the sound is originating from the area depicted in the photo in my original post. I'm just not sure if a small amount of lubricant is in order OR just leave it alone. However, I've always been one that believes a noise is an indication of a problem area.
2017-3-10
Use props
Mobilcams
First Officer
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-3-10 20:53

Issue #1 has been resolved. I wasn't aware of the setting in the app and I don't recall this being mentioned in the manual. Anyway, I have configured the app and the camera NOW tilts upward as it should!  Thanks again!

I would leave it alone.. The whole gimbal is set up on a feed back loop and sometimes these noises can be made.. My P4P makes this groan as well when I tilt it at an extreme angle.. It's the motors trying to keep the camera in the position it needs to be in. If it was constant I would be worried but not intermittent..
2017-3-10
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Is it a vibrating type noise? maybe upload a short video of the noise
There are different noises that they can make.
try this for a start,  the rear cover on your gimbal (as shown with the red arrow on your first post)  just loosen the 4 screws of a little and see if it fixes the noise, if it doesn't fix it, remove the cover completely and see if the noise is gone. Then we will go from there.
2017-3-10
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-3-10 21:38
Is it a vibrating type noise? maybe upload a short video of the noise
There are different noises that they can make.
try this for a start,  the rear cover on your gimbal (as shown with the red arrow on your first post)  just loosen the 4 screws of a little and see if it fixes the noise, if it doesn't fix it, remove the cover completely and see if the noise is gone. Then we will go from there.

I guess one could say that  the sound is somewhat of a vibrating/grinding type noise. Then every once in a while it will seem to groan ever so slightly. Again, if I put my finger on the cover indicated in the photo, that's the area where I can feel the "vibrations" the best.

I will try what you suggested tomorrow! Thanks!

PS: does you unit make these sounds any at all while tilting the camera up or down OR while calibrating the sensors?
2017-3-10
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

tvl Posted at 2017-3-10 21:50
I guess one could say that  the sound is somewhat of a vibrating/grinding type noise. Then every once in a while it will seem to groan ever so slightly. Again, if I put my finger on the cover indicated in the photo, that's the area where I can feel the "vibrations" the best.

I will try what you suggested tomorrow! Thanks!

No noise from mine, I've only had slight horizon issues, but I've learnt to deal with it.
As for yours and the viabration you seem to think it's from the Rear cover, so try as I posted above and let us know how it goes. There ore other similar noises to caused by a number of other items like gimbal plate rubber  mounts and ribbon cables also side covers rubbing on cables etc.
Is yours just on start up, or when you move the drone from side to side or back and fourth?
2017-3-11
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Nigel!

Your question:  "Is yours just on start up, or when you move the drone from side to side or back and fourth?"

1- If I power up the drone and move it around at different angles, the camera will naturally try to maintain a certain attitude. As the camera is adjusting to the various attitudes, you can hear the noise at times.

2- Also, while I have the drone sitting stationary, powered up and linked to the controller, the noise can be heard as I use the thumbwheel on the controller to tilt the camera up and down.

Edit:  I've done additional research and found the following video on youtube. This is the exact same noise I'm hearing. It does it as the unit powers up & initializes AND as described in items 1 & 2 listed above.

2017-3-11
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

" This is the exact same noise I'm hearing."
Mine did that when it was new, I think it disappeared after a firmware update...

It's not anything to worry about, just a result of how these motors work, and you definitely shouldn't try to lubricate it, doing so may dissolve the correct lubricant that is already there or may damage the performance by gluing it up, the gimbal movement is very delicate.

Check the ribbon cables carefully, it's possible one of them is slightly out of place and putting a bit of force onto the gimbal causing it to work a little harder than normal.

As long as it works in flight and isn't making that noise all the time then I don't think you should worry about it, certainly give it a bit of use to run it in before considering return.
2017-3-11
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
United States

Thanks Nigel!

I did remove the 4 screws that Nigelbrinkmann recommended along with the cover and the noise went away. Once I replaced the cover, the noise is still present at times, but not quite as bad as it was originally. If I loosen the screws a small amount, the noise will once again disappear, but I don't like the idea of having the screws loose like that.
2017-3-11
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

You could try sticking a little sticky tape or a sticky pad on it, maybe put the tape on the inside surface of the cover with the screws through it.  The extra weight may remove the noise.  I think it is just vibrating, not sure which way to go, maybe it's position sensor has a tiny amount of slack at that position.    If it did it when in a normal position then I would worry a bit about blurred images caused by the vibration, but if it is only at the extremes of it's range then it's not something to worry about.
2017-3-11
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"1- I calibrated everthing before first test flight - (front sensors, IMU, gimbal, compass and remote controller)"

Why?   If that was needed, it would have been mentioned in the manual.
2017-3-11
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-11 15:27
"1- I calibrated everthing before first test flight " Why?   If that was needed, it would have been mentioned in the manual.

Well, the unit was a replacement from DJI. During setup, I had issues with the remote controller not wanting to tilt the gimbal properly. A call to DJI confirmed the controller required calibration. I figured if the controller required calibrating, why not calibrate everything to be sure. Can't hurt anything - correct?
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please don't rely solely on the printed or PDF manuals. There has been plenty of discussion how, many important things have been omitted.  It's best to go through the app, and discover all the parameters and personal configurations, that suit your style of flying best.  As well, when ever doing a firmware or app upgrade, go back through the app, and correct any parameters that may get reconfigured to factory settings.
Pay particular attention the the RTH height. As this could be set to a number that doesn't fit your home surroundings. Better to be safe than sorry.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-11
Use props
tvl
lvl.4
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-11 16:53
Better to be safe than sorry.

You are so very correct!  

Since my crash incident, I find myself checking things almost to the extreme. The incident has me rather "gun shy" .................. but, better safe than sorry as you stated!
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

tvl Posted at 2017-3-11 18:38
You are so very correct!  

Since my crash incident, I find myself checking things almost to the extreme. The incident has me rather "gun shy" .................. but, better safe than sorry as you stated!

Crashing is good, it teaches you what not to do! ;-)

A few bumps and bruises, with grass or tree bark stains, gives the drone more character...

Yes, it can be a frightening experience, especially if it's your first drone, and first mishap.
But after you bust her up a bit, and get more used to doing minor repairs, it will all become more familiar. These drones can have stress fractures just sitting on a shelf, so we might as well fly the hell out of them, and get as much enjoyment as possible. Besides, nothing good lasts forever. So, go for it.
Fly it like you own it, and enjoy every minute of it...  
You can go slow and easy, like many do, or go for broke, and get as much excitement out of it as possible.
Seems like the guys who have crashed a few times are having the most fun. So may as well, just fly it, and enjoy it while you can. Besides, life is short, so no use putting it on hold...

I appreciate what you are saying though, as these hobby class drones aren't cheap, but a pro drone cost many many times more. So don't be afraid to enjoy it... ;-)
Take all the precautions necessary, to get the very most from your investment.  But fly it...

RedHotPoker
2017-3-11
Use props
joe_gadget
Second Officer

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-11 19:55
Crashing is good, it teaches you what not to do! ;-)

A few bumps and bruises, with grass or tree bark stains, gives the drone more character...

Sorry, these are camera ships. Therefore my flight pattern is to ensure the best possible video quality. Any crash potentially reduces my craft's ability to perform optimally.

Excitement I can easily get with racer drones.

And I'm pretty sure you can learn what not to do without crashing a $1k+ machine. You don't see learner drivers doing this, do you?
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

joe_gadget Posted at 2017-3-11 21:13
Sorry, these are camera ships. Therefore my flight pattern is to ensure the best possible video quality. Any crash potentially reduces my craft's ability to perform optimally.

Excitement I can easily get with racer drones.

Yes, of course, except that Crashing is all part of Flying. It's not a matter of if, but when, as the old saying goes. I fly with people who have been into RC flying for over 50 years.  One of my www.ercha.ca friends actually started our flying club. There was no RC group when he moved here from back East. As far as being professional, he's probably one of the most talented RC pilots around here, where I live.  Coincidently, he is also an ex helicopter pilot for the R.C.M.P. I think he likely has more knowledge about RC piloting, than most everyone on this forum. He's likely forgotten more than we will ever know. Our DJI Phantoms don't take any skill level to fly, they fly themselves. We simply direct their direction. Roger has been Piloting everything from 700 class heli's down to micro helicopters and drones. He pilots RC planes, drones and helicopters.  Talk about hand catching, he catches RC helicopters.
I've seen him crash his stuff numerous times. So, if he can crash, without embarrassment or any remorse, I suppose it's possible for us to do the same. It's the very rare pilot who has never crashed. But their turn will come eventually. If the thought of crashing your Phantom frightens you, perhaps flying some smaller, far less costly drones is a great suggestion for you. Yes, it's a camera drone. But so is an Align TRex 800 Trekker.
I'm not suggesting that you have to crash, to become proficient, only that it's an inevitability. . .
Be prepared for it, as it will happen, & most often when you least expect it. Just when you become too comfortable, something will eventually happen.  Bird strike, unseen tree branch, but something will take your drone down.  Sorry to burst your bubble. No one wants to crash, we all try to prevent this, at all costs, but you can't change reality.  I spend many hours with my valuable irreplaceable time on RealFlight 6.5 and RealFlight Drone. Thankfully there is a reset button on the RF RC, where our drones have none. I can crash all day, reset and take off again. I also have five other much cheaper priced  drones to play with.
If you never have a mishap, my hat goes off to you.  Let's hope none of us ever have to face the repair bill or replacement costs. Fingers crossed and four leaf clovers are ready to count on.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-11
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

tvl Posted at 2017-3-11 16:23
Well, the unit was a replacement from DJI. During setup, I had issues with the remote controller not wanting to tilt the gimbal properly. A call to DJI confirmed the controller required calibration. I figured if the controller required calibrating, why not calibrate everything to be sure. Can't hurt anything - correct?

"I figured if the controller required calibrating, why not calibrate everything to be sure. Can't hurt anything - correct?"

On the contrary .. The Phantom is a complex piece of high tech equipment.
Messing around with things that are working properly can cause problems.
The philosophy of if it aint broke - don't fix it, is a good one to use.
2017-3-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-11 22:16
"I figured if the controller required calibrating, why not calibrate everything to be sure. Can't hurt anything - correct?"

On the contrary .. The Phantom is a complex piece of high tech equipment.

As Labroides mentioned, it's not wise to be calibrating your drone before every flight. As easy as it is to do a good calibration, it's just as easy to do a bad calibration, which will bring you nothing but a world of hurt and misery.  Set it and forget it, Is a much smarter plan.  Particularly where the compass calibration is concerned.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules