Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Broke my first 2 propellers!!!
1060 17 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bigdps
lvl.4
Canada

Although I am not really proud of it, I did break 2 propellers. None on my Little Mavic's fault, all mine. I did what we are not supposed to do. I flew backwards and the ambient light was not ideal, to say the least. Result: I backed in a rusted bird feeder and broke 1 set and nicked another. Instead of leaving the one that had a chunk about the size of a big lead pencil lead, I just replaced everything that was broken.

When it happened, I did the panic joystick inner down and then outer down and it just dropped like a lead balloon. I was about 1-2 feet above ground.

So to recap, like my mom always told me, "You have to pay to learn", well I did just that. I paid for spare blades and have more on order. I guess that's how we aquire experience. Anybody else did something like this or even crash on its first flight? I broke the blades on the 3rd flight. Today, I flew inside using tripod. With obstacle avoiding system on, it basically stays in the middle of the room. It's good enough to practice tiny steps in flight control.

2017-3-11
Use props
M_str
lvl.1
Belgium

Unfortunately, backwards it doesn't have sensors to avoid obstacle
2017-3-11
Use props
Thudd
First Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft
United States

Broke my first two in the living room.
2017-3-11
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.1
United States

I think this happens to everyone. Luckily they sell the blades at my local best buy
2017-3-11
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

I don't understand why DJI didn't include sensors on the back of MP. We fly backwards all the time.
2017-3-11
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Don't worry, happens to all of us. I crashed my Phantom 2 Vision a few years ago - since then I've had a fault-free ride - but this luck will run out eventually and then I'll have to pick up the pieces again. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. Do practice - take a look at official drone operator commercial exams from various countries and practice the moves - you might not apply for a license but this practice is worthwhile. Have fun flying :-)
2017-3-11
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep, everyone does this...I replaced one set because I didn't get it in case correctly and squished the ends into the seal of my case.  These are cheep enough to get a few sets.  I also replace my after they become bloody......from all the bugs I hit flying in the evening.  Most of the time I can just clean them off but other time they look questionable, so I just replace them.
2017-3-11
Use props
bigdps
lvl.4
Canada

Supervisor Posted at 2017-3-11 13:36
I don't understand why DJI didn't include sensors on the back of MP. We fly backwards all the time.

Isn't there a part in the settings where you can tell it not to go backwards? I know it would be nice to have sensors all around, maybe Mavic 2 Advanced?
2017-3-12
Use props
Samoth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95640 ft
Belgium

Broke 3 sets of propellers at once. I still don't know what happened: my Mavic was 300m from me and suddenly,I lost contact with it (video and RC).

Instead of RTH, it crashed on the grass, broke the propellers and scratched its arms...
2017-3-12
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Its because of cost.
DJI was trying to hit a certain price point market base.  If you needed rear sensors, you could always pay another 50% more and get a P4P.  It wouldn't surprise me if the next iteration of the MP has rear sensors, but it will be priced more like the P4P and potentially have a better camera (I would like to think).

People can generally reduce the likelihood of damaging props by flying in wide open spaces until a greater understanding of potential pitfalls can be realized and avoided.  I remember reading from others about taking baby steps in learning to fly your Mavic.  That's the approach I am taking.  I've flown quads before, but this one I treat with much more respect.  I think that is very important to being successful in flying......
2017-3-12
Use props
Visual Air
Captain
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have been waiting over a month for replacement blades that said shipping 10/15 days after payment. I hope they are shipped pretty soon I hate not having spares as I too took a nick out of one of my blades on the damn coffee table.
2017-3-12
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

? Really you can't figure that out ? It doesn't have upward facing sensors either ... or a parachute or a built in toaster... it just doesnt make any sense at all .. why they did not include 50 000 dollars more hardware on the mavic >>??
2017-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

bigdps Posted at 2017-3-12 08:40
Isn't there a part in the settings where you can tell it not to go backwards? I know it would be nice to have sensors all around, maybe Mavic 2 Advanced?

Only in active track, more lessons are learned by little tips like you had, but your back up and flying and learning from your experience. Good luck..
2017-3-12
Use props
ejmocampo
Flight distance : 84925 ft
Canada

broke three propellers!!! in first time
2017-3-12
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

Suggestion:
For first few flights? NEVER fly indoors. Outdoors in an open space (doesnt even have to be a HUGE space, just..space. ) because when outdoors and you have GPS lock? The Mavic stays almost totally still as soon as you let got of the sticks. It wont wander into anything like indoors.  Also, there honestly should NEVER be a time when you use the shutdown procedure during flight. Never.  Chances of breaking the camera/gimbal is extremely high if you use that method and hard land the mavic
2017-3-12
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-3-12 10:50
? Really you can't figure that out ? It doesn't have upward facing sensors either ... or a parachute or a built in toaster... it just doesnt make any sense at all .. why they did not include 50 000 dollars more hardware on the mavic >>??

It's not $0 or $50,000. ONE rear sensor is one rear sensor, not one rear sensor plus upward sensor plus parachute. You are blowing it out of proportion here.
A rear sensor is a safety necessity as there is literally nothing to prevent it from bumping into things when flying backwards, and we fly it backward all the time. It's much easier to avoid crashing the drone into things above it, and it's extremely rare that the drone will need a parachute to save it. However, it's common to crash the drone while flying backwards.
2017-3-12
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
United States

z4k4tt4ck Posted at 2017-3-12 10:50

Besides, Mavic currently has multiple sensors, and the drone with a battery, props etc. costs $999. I don't think it will cost an arm and a leg to add one more sensor.
2017-3-13
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
United States

bigdps Posted at 2017-3-12 08:40

I think you can only disable flying backwards for Active Track.
2017-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules