Remove Before Take Off
2060 13 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wilddeer
lvl.2

United States

I installed the red parachute cord on the gimble clamp and cover for reminders lol
20170311_191325.jpg
2017-3-11
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I've been a pilot for 30 years and have seen numerous instances of aircraft (full size) taking off with "Remove Before Flight" banners still attached. Just hope your next video doesn't show a red string flapping in the breeze. (just kidding, probably a good idea).
2017-3-11
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

Not a bad idea. I've thought about putting tape or something on the front of the cover so I would remember.
2017-3-11
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's more like "Remove before switching the thing on"  How many times I have sat at my desk to do something in the software and thought NOOOOOOOO I switched it on again without removing the clamp!
2017-3-12
Use props
M_str
lvl.2
Belgium

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-3-12 03:41
It's more like "Remove before switching the thing on"  How many times I have sat at my desk to do something in the software and thought NOOOOOOOO I switched it on again without removing the clamp!

Thanks, exactly what happened yesterday ...
before flying I check twice
but at my desk, I had totally forgotten ...
do you know if it is very bad for the gimball ?  I had the "gimball overload" alert ...  
2017-3-12
Use props
fansf13ecec2
lvl.3
United States

My take on this is, if i take it out of the case i remove the gimbal brace (even just removing SD card) and put it back on before putting it back in the case.
2017-3-12
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

Great idea.
2017-3-12
Use props
MavicMule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

I used a label maker with a sticker by the power button on each battery "Check Gimbal clamp!"
2017-3-12
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Like others here, I've powered up before remembering to remove the gimbal lock.  I've started to put together a similar reminder banner, but think a good idea would be to extend that banner further to actually overlay the battery power switch.  Not sure how to do that yet, maybe going as far as wrapping the banner around the body of the Mavic crossing over the power button, but if you see the banner overlaying the power button, you're a lot less likely to hit the power button before removing the gimbal lock.........
2017-3-12
Use props
Chizzy
New

Australia

Quick side question folks. I just received my Mavic, and yes, the second use I forgot to remove the gimbal clamp after start up, but I haven't worked out if the plastic dome is meant to be flown with sometimes or not. I flew with it the first time, thinking it was part of the ride, but noticed wrong reflective glare. Any tips?
2017-3-12
Use props
Paul Nordin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1267953 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chizzy Posted at 2017-3-12 11:26
Quick side question folks. I just received my Mavic, and yes, the second use I forgot to remove the gimbal clamp after start up, but I haven't worked out if the plastic dome is meant to be flown with sometimes or not. I flew with it the first time, thinking it was part of the ride, but noticed wrong reflective glare. Any tips?

Either fly with the sun more than 90degrees off your camera's lens direction (ie-behind you), or remove the plastic cover.  
2017-3-12
Use props
Mavic Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127697 ft
United States

I was under the impression that the plastic gimbal cover always has to be removed in order to avoid overheating.  The cooling-fan intake is under the cover area and the small notch is not big enough to allow adequate cooling.  Am I misinformed?
2017-3-12
Use props
High FlyerCokie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 701109 ft
New Zealand

Chizzy Posted at 2017-3-12 11:26

Your Mavic may over heat with gimbal cover on. You can purchase on E-Bay or Ali Express camera shade covers with.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item- ... 08.1000017.2.LNU5id
2017-3-12
Use props
Mavic Jim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127697 ft
United States

Mavic Jim Posted at 2017-3-12 16:19
I was under the impression that the plastic gimbal cover always has to be removed in order to avoid overheating.  The cooling-fan intake is under the cover area and the small notch is not big enough to allow adequate cooling.  Am I misinformed?

Hmmm...... I just found this excellent article that explains several questions I've seen on the forum.  Looks like my statement above is incorrect.

10 Common Mistakes Mavic Pro Pilots Make
http://forum.dji.com/thread-88220-1-1.html
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules