Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do you put the plastic stabilizer and foam padding on after use?
2650 18 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JBinFla
lvl.1
United States

Do you put the plastic camera stabilizer and foam padding back on your drone after every use?  I'm talking about that plastic thing that holds the camera and attaches to the P4 legs, and the foam block that goes on the gimbal.  I've been doing this but notice that the most abuse the gimbal gets is probably me trying to put that stuff back on it.  Not sure if it's a good idea to keep doing it or not.  What do you do?
2017-3-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Hasn't been on mine in months.  Hard case of mine has a foam cushion for the camera to rest on.
2017-3-12
Use props
Grizz 1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

I use the plastic piece for the gimbal but I don't use the foam pad.
2017-3-12
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

From my understanding the plastic piece is a must. Today I got my first DJI P4 and I am going to use the foam piece as well. It's not going to hurt.
2017-3-12
Use props
Mariuss
First Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-3-12 13:42
I use the plastic piece for the gimbal but I don't use the foam pad.

Make that 2!
2017-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You can throw the pierce of foam away, the plastic gimbal lock is all you need under normal operational circumstances.
2017-3-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Forum friend @Rigworker, kindly gave me a nice gimbal guard/lens cap so that clear piece of OEM plastic has no use for me...

PLUS my Nanuk 945 hard side case, has a swell foam block that fits around the camera and gimbal, keeping it from any motion or jarring.

I kept that small white foam bit, in case my drone ever needs to be shipped out... I'll send it back the way it arrived. With the clear piece of plastic, at the bottom of the box, like when it was opened for the first time.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-12
Use props
Grizz 1
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-12 14:37
Forum friend @Rigworker, kindly gave me a nice gimbal guard/lens cap so that clear piece of OEM plastic has no use for me...

haha  they put it in the bottom of the box in case the legs break and falls, then the foam would protect it
2017-3-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Grizz 1 Posted at 2017-3-12 15:32
haha  they put it in the bottom of the box in case the legs break and falls, then the foam would protect it

Well yes, it was sitting pretty, at the bottom of my cardboard shipping container. You have to wonder if it was just tossed in the box for good measure, or what? That was only my first disappointment...
I know, when applied correctly, it wouldn't just fall off on its own. So it was obviously never attached right, from the get go.  I've heard the same thing from numerous others here and several other RC forums as well, so I know. Mine wasn't a unique occasion.  A Common occurrence. Why?

RedHotPoker
2017-3-12
Use props
Grizz 1
Second Officer
United States

I agree, when properly installed, they wont just fall off, but for everyday use I see no need for them. good to keep for further shipping purposes tho !
2017-3-12
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

i always install the plastic before boxing the drone. the foam, no, never.
2017-3-12
Use props
FCjosh
New

United States

I fly a phantom 3 but I haven't used the plastic case in half a year and everything is just fine. So in my opinion it is not needed.
2017-3-12
Use props
JayOne
lvl.3
United States

i use both items that came with the p4p  and the grey foam keeps your gimble into place when in travel.. so i dont think it would damage it or any form...
2017-3-12
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

Plastic always, foam never.
2017-3-12
Use props
Sarg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 330869 ft
United States

I bought a Polar Pro gimbal guard that I use any time the P4 is not flying. I also added a "Remove Before Flying" tag in RED.
2017-3-12
Use props
djiuser_m7nWTGOcOheu
Flight distance : 79114 ft
United States

We do, simply because I assume it is because of the ribbon cable, and perhaps other reasons that I am not aware of.  I do know that we bought a non-OEM ND lens pack and one lens came loose and ruined a 3D run as it created shots that were out of focus.  So I think locking up the camera during non-use  transport is probably a good idea, even although the vibration factor would be much less than when motors are running in flight.  
2018-11-15
Use props
KEJ
First Officer
United Kingdom

Agree with you a must.
2018-11-15
Use props
1Eagle
First Officer
Flight distance : 290348 ft
United States

I have a DJI backpack and the camera and gimbal are not supported. And when you carry the backpack the drone is in a vertical position. I always use the plastic piece to keep the camera from flopping around while I'm jogging up and down mountain trails.
2018-11-15
Use props
Celipio Varea
lvl.1

Chile

Neither, my phantom 4 just sits for two years and more and no problem
2018-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules