Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
"Aircraft Disconnected" during several flights today
2480 21 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for feedback.  I had a significant problem losing connection to the drone in several flights today.  Often several times in a single flight.  (black screen, no control that I was aware of, return to home auto initiated each time).

I had an important aerial shoot for a commercial developer (first shoot for this new client).  It was either shoot today or lose the gig and future gigs, so I shot 5 different small to medium sized malls in three different states.  

In EVERY flight, I had moments where the bird disconnected, the screen went black and I helplessly (and thankfully) watched as the P4 returned to home.  When it got close I was able to regain control.  The first two locations I shot had SEVERAL disconnects, one that lasted a mind-numbing two minutes (it was a long ways up and quite a ways away) and I could not see or hear the drone (clouds above and traffic nearby), so for all I knew it powered down and crashed.)

I have never had this happen once before today, and I've flown considerably farther and higher without issue.  

I had an open line of sight and I was standing in a wide-open parking lot in all locations.  There WERE a lot of cars in a few of the parking lots (though there were no cars around me in two of the locations), and the surrounding area was densely populated with homes and small businesses.

The first location where I lost connection (multiple times), I thought "ok, must be something in the area causing interference".
The second location (in a different state), I thought "Crap, must be something interfering here too".
The third, fourth, and fifth locations (all separated by miles),  I thought "Oh man, I am SUCH an idiot for continuing to fly.
(Yes, I know, I WAS being an idiot for continuing to fly once I realized there might be a bigger problem, so don't waste our time reiterating this fact. )

So why do you imagine I would suddenly be losing contact so easily?  As soon as the drone was 100 feet +/- away from me, I would see a warning about weak signal then would lose connection all together.  Antennas were properly oriented and I have signal amplifiers (little scoops) on each antenna.

I have the latest firmware and software, was flying with unobstructed line of site, using my trusy iPad Mini 4 (that I have used more than 100 flights without incidence).

Thanks for your thoughts (unless you can't help yourself and tell me I'm an idiot :-).  I am supposed to shoot five more locations tomorrow so I'm running a bit terrified.
Matt
2017-3-12
Use props
CurtisCreek
New
United States

This happened to us today too. We are using an Android, from the approved list. I have had to do the updates 3x today and I still can't get it to accept the new no fly rules. I know you have to do the updates with each battery you own. Have you done that? We lost contact with our drone several times while no further than 75' away. I hope someone with more experience than me can figure this out.
2017-3-12
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

You would need to be a bit more specific:
1. Was it P4, or P4P (you posted it in P4P forum)?
2. What was the firmware and software you were using?
3. What was the altitude and the distance?
4. Did you use 2.4, or 5.8GHz connection?

You can search the forum for similar posts about disconnects. I believe several people reported various problems after updating to the latest firmware.
2017-3-12
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi Piowoc,

Thanks for the P4P notice, I changed it to now appear in the P4 forum.

My drone is a P4.  Flown it well over 200 times without this issue.
I just found out there is an update as of 3-7-17.  I have not done that update yet.
The altitude didn't matter... once I got about 100+/- feet away, blam.
I was using 2.4ghz.  I had heard that I could switch to 5.8 Ghz, but couldn't find anything in the menu system or the instruction manual. So I am not sure there is even an option for anything other than 2.4ghz in the Phantom 4.
2017-3-12
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.4
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

CurtisCreek Posted at 2017-3-12 14:26
This happened to us today too. We are using an Android, from the approved list. I have had to do the updates 3x today and I still can't get it to accept the new no fly rules. I know you have to do the updates with each battery you own. Have you done that? We lost contact with our drone several times while no further than 75' away. I hope someone with more experience than me can figure this out.

CurtisCreek, your problem is likely the Android having the new Nougat version of Android. There are known problems with multiple disconnects at close range running Nougat. See this thread HERE for the solution.
Original poster I wish I had some advice but you are running an Apple device so I have no idea. I hope you find a solution.
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-3-12 14:36
Hi Piowoc,

Thanks for your confirmation.
Would you please upgrade both aircraft and remote to the latest?
Then re-link aircraft and remote, and calibrate it before flying, keep us posted with the performance, thanks.
Besides, what mobile device you use for P4?
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

CurtisCreek Posted at 2017-3-12 14:26

You notice the same situation when flying it in different open locations?
Please try to re-link the aircraft to remote, and try another mobile device if it's convenient.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-13 00:03
Thanks for your confirmation.
Would you please upgrade both aircraft and remote to the latest?
Then re-link aircraft and remote, and calibrate it before flying, keep us posted with the performance, thanks.

Hi Natalia,  I'll upgrade, re-link, and calibrate this morning.  I'll let you know  how it goes with todays flights.I've been using my iPad Mini 4 for the past 100+ flights without issue.
2017-3-13
Use props
fans3b85a08e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 587726 ft
Czechia

the same problem - P4 with the latest firmware, tablet Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0 (Android 5.1.1) - I flew with this tablet for nearly a year without any problem. The problem occurred with DJI Go 4. Notwithstanding the distance or position always fails the video or the downfall of the entire application. It's frustrating. With litchi in the same place at the same conditions without any problems. I tried on the tablet to factory settings and I got there just DJI GO4 and Litchi, flying always in a plane mode  - only forest and meadow without wires, wifi etc ..
2017-3-13
Use props
Mikkovtun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5247953 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

На вихідних була така сама ситуація! Я використовую Андроїд-пристрій Xiaomi Note3 - вдалося вирішити методом переустановки Dji Go4 - delete&install
2017-3-13
Use props
Callatis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Mikkovtun Posted at 2017-3-13 06:43
На вихідних була така сама ситуація! Я використовую Андроїд-пристрій Xiaomi Note3 - вдалося вирішити методом переустановки Dji Go4 - delete&install

Mikkovtun, just use Google translate so we all can understand.
"At the weekend was the same situation! I use Android Device Xiaomi Note3 - was resolved by reinstalling"
2017-3-13
Use props
Jim Watkins
First Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

This has happened to me twice.  I have a P4 used with iPad Air 2.  Always with the latest firmware.  I assumed that it was a thermal issue since both times it happened were on relatively hot days.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-13 00:06
Please try to re-link the aircraft to remote, and try another mobile device if it's convenient.

Hi Natalia,

Big day of flying for me today.  After upgrading to the latest software (DJI Go 4), updating to the latest firmware, updating my batteries firmware, re-linking the remote, calibrating the sensors, gimbal, and IMUs... today was better than yesterday, but not by much.  I had several complete loss of connection moments (black screen, no controls that I am aware of).  But it seemed slightly better than yesterday.

Today I received quite a few beeping errors (with flashing red light) from the remote.  It was always after I booted the remote and would continue until I would touch one of the sticks.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-13 00:06

Hi Natalia,

Big day of flying for me today.  After upgrading to the latest software (DJI Go 4), updating to the latest firmware, updating my batteries firmware, re-linking the remote, calibrating the sensors, gimbal, and IMUs... today was better than yesterday, but not by much.  I had several complete loss of connection moments (black screen, no controls that I am aware of).  But it seemed slightly better than yesterday.

Today I received quite a few beeping errors (with flashing red light) from the remote.  It was always after I booted the remote and would continue until I would touch one of the sticks.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

ALSO, I noticed this yesterday but forgot to mention it.  The little icon that relates to strength of communication between the RC and the drone was red all day (yesterday).  It was also (randomly) red today.  In looking at the signal strength bar graphs in the menu, I notice that the 15 bars are bouncing all over the place, are always red, and are mostly short.
2017-3-13
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

I never had this issue so if you want to ignore my answer based on this reason, then by all means. if you decide to read it then be aware that is only an opinion.Are you using antenna boosters? I will assume the answer is no. If it was yes, then that would be the first thing to check.
if i understand corectly you say connections kept loosing at different consecutive flying sites thus eliminating the interference. my attention would be drawn to antenna wires, one of them may be disturbed by a hard-landing. far as i know the antennas are in the legs.whatever the reason, i would try to see if the telemetry can provide enough info to DJI. they should be able to check the signal strength and compare it to distance in order to decide whether there is need for service.

2017-3-13
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-3-12 14:36
Hi Piowoc,

Mabou, with regards to interference, I'm coming in late on this and everyone else's advice stands - compare operation with an area you've flown OK in before. That will allow you to remove the 'something is broken' variable.

Other things:
No - the P4 only has single band connection (2.4). The P4P has dual band (2.4 + 5), although the 5 Ghz band is only likely to improve connection quality in closer proximity anyway.
Transmission problems are typically between the RC and the craft (the app allows band setting, or facilitates intelligent decisions of which band to use based on 'clean' signal channels, so so long as you have band setting to Auto you should be OK here). So, check that the antennas are always facing 90 degrees to the craft and follow the general direction, and don't have anything wrapped around them which could introduce noise to the signal. Remember that you (ideally) shouldn't have anything between you and the craft which could otherwise block the signal.
Be wary of the area, and it's never smart to fly near towers/buildings with microwave dishes, etc.
Look into the 32 channel hack - that may give you more channel options. Alternatively consider investing in Litchi (which I read - to be confirmed - has the 32 channel hack coded into the application).
2017-3-13
Use props
zidane
lvl.1

Hong Kong

If you are using the booster, suggest you to remove the booster firstly then check.  If this can't solve your problem, suggest you to return to dji.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated!
Matt
2017-3-23
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

Best guess, barring a malfunction is that you just had high interference each time.  Urban areas have a lot of signal clutter and stray WiFi (especially places like mals that probably have public WiFi), you might want to try flying from a different location, preferably away from possible interference and try flying higher, above the WiFi "cloud," assuming your client doesn't want 4K you might try filming in 4k then cropping the image in post production to zoom it in while still keeping the result in 1080P.

I know for me, if I take off from one spot I can fly a fairly long range, even in an urban environment, including over the college which has a powerful public WiFi with no problems.  Yet if I take off FROM the college I lose signal long before I can fly to my first takeoff point, so it does matter where you are standing.

If you can't get a good signal, try programming a Litchi mission.
2017-3-23
Use props
Håkan K
First Officer
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

These four quotes, and that started happen before any upgrade:

"My drone is a P4.  Flown it well over 200 times without this issue."
"In EVERY flight, I had moments where the bird disconnected"
"As soon as the drone was 100 feet +/- away from me, I would see a warning about weak signal then would lose connection all together."
"I noticed this yesterday but forgot to mention it.  The little icon that relates to strength of communication between the RC and the drone was red all day (yesterday)."

would indicate to me there is an hardware issue. As no other apparent change has happened. A loose antenna cable in the legs or the RC maybe.?(I read somewhere about an issue were the antenna soldering in the leg of the PH was lose).

Do you have a red indication of signal strength already 3-10 feet away? What happens if you boot it all up and just walk 100 feet away? Red signal? Then I would either:
- Check the soldering in  the legs (as it seems to have have been an issue for at least another owner)
- Borrow, if possible, another RC and bind to your PH and check the signal strength.
- Send it to DJI for a checkup
2017-3-23
Use props
Bigmouth
lvl.3
Hong Kong

I have similar thing few days ago. The screen freeze but the remote seems remained connected but without the video, not able to control the aircraft.
Why Dji always have problem after update?!?
It happen in my P2 V+ in the past!!!!!
2017-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules