Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Traveling with drone Laws st thomas st kitts st martin haiti puerto rico
7500 12 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coopy1975\
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hello i want to know if taking my drone to saint martin saint thomas saint kitts puerto rico and haiti on a cruise from florida ... does anyone know the laws and flight restrictions on these islands if any ...

Thanks in advance .... UK
2017-3-14
Use props
Macstrax
lvl.3

United States

Not sure about the flight restrictions. I was just on a cruise to those ports of call. Did not bring my Mavic as the cruise line (Royal Caribbean) prohibits drones on board. I could have probably gotten it on when we initially departed. The problem is when visiting in a port and re boarding, the ship has X-ray and detectors. I didn't feel like taking the chance on a drone that I had for only 3 weeks. Good luck.
2017-3-14
Use props
coopy1975\
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Yeah im on royal carribean also ... so not gonna take it as they said wont be allowed to board with it {:4_142:}{:4_142:}{:4_142:}{:4_142:}
2017-3-15
Use props
rblades
lvl.1
Flight distance : 65531 ft
United States

that is a let down   I can understand why they don't allow  drones to be flown on board  but if you keep pack away till your at a port and only use when on the land   maybe its something they can't find a way to bill you for   
2017-3-16
Use props
fans3a25ac7f
New
United States

I am on a cruise right now to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, etc.  I checked the cruise contract and it says that they will confiscate your drone at the start of the cruise and return it to you at the end of the cruise.  That is exactly what they did last summer going to Alaska.  However, this time I have a Mavic and they didn't notice it when I checked in.  I took it ashore yesterday to fly on St. Thomas and when I returned to the ship they didn't notice it again.  Apparently when it is folded up, they pass over looking for something bigger.

2017-4-18
Use props
fivetonine
Second Officer
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

No drones on cruise ships. Almost all cruise lines have that policy. A mavic could pass but be sure to not fly it when on board - it could get you barred from the cruise.
2017-4-20
Use props
fans1e44cb74
lvl.1
Flight distance : 544984 ft
Puerto Rico

fans3a25ac7f Posted at 2017-4-18 02:17
I am on a cruise right now to St. Thomas, St. Kitts, etc.  I checked the cruise contract and it says that they will confiscate your drone at the start of the cruise and return it to you at the end of the cruise.  That is exactly what they did last summer going to Alaska.  However, this time I have a Mavic and they didn't notice it when I checked in.  I took it ashore yesterday to fly on St. Thomas and when I returned to the ship they didn't notice it again.  Apparently when it is folded up, they pass over looking for something bigger.

I just laugh at every person that doesn't ask.....There are always exceptions to the rules folks, just make sure you get written confirmation from your cruise provided. Golf clubs are prohibited but people still bring them on, and check them out during ports of call. Same goes from drones. I was on the Harmony recently and was able to check it in and out during ports of call. However you are responsible to meet all country rules and regulations for a given stop. I also received a written letter from RCL about releasing my drone to me during ports of call. I didn't fly at the Bahamas because you need to get clearance from federal authorities, but I had a blast flying the drone in St Thomas and St Kitts.
2017-5-10
Use props
JavaMom
New

United States

fans1e44cb74 Posted at 2017-5-10 17:32
I just laugh at every person that doesn't ask.....There are always exceptions to the rules folks, just make sure you get written confirmation from your cruise provided. Golf clubs are prohibited but people still bring them on, and check them out during ports of call. Same goes from drones. I was on the Harmony recently and was able to check it in and out during ports of call. However you are responsible to meet all country rules and regulations for a given stop. I also received a written letter from RCL about releasing my drone to me during ports of call. I didn't fly at the Bahamas because you need to get clearance from federal authorities, but I had a blast flying the drone in St Thomas and St Kitts.

I will be on the Harmony over the summer. When I contacted Royal, I received a phone call response stating that I would need to check the drone in with security while we're onboard the I can take it off while in port as long as I have permission from the local authorities. My problem now is, what kind of permission do I need and who do I get it from? Does anyone have a website or contact that he/she uses or has used to get this permission?
2017-5-26
Use props
skyhighdiver
lvl.1
Flight distance : 915699 ft
United States

fivetonine Posted at 2017-4-20 00:03
No drones on cruise ships. Almost all cruise lines have that policy. A mavic could pass but be sure to not fly it when on board - it could get you barred from the cruise.

NCL allows drones and is the reason we chose them. Got great videos of  Jamaica ,st martian and st thomas and Nassau ( bit got pre approval from Nassau government)
2017-5-29
Use props
skyhighdiver
lvl.1
United States

fivetonine Posted at 2017-4-20 00:03

Had no issues on NCL the reason we chose them used in St Thomas ,St Martian ,Jamaica ,Nassau ( pre approval in Nassau)
2017-5-29
Use props
skyhighdiver
lvl.1
United States

JavaMom Posted at 2017-5-26 05:47
I will be on the Harmony over the summer. When I contacted Royal, I received a phone call response stating that I would need to check the drone in with security while we're onboard the I can take it off while in port as long as I have permission from the local authorities. My problem now is, what kind of permission do I need and who do I get it from? Does anyone have a website or contact that he/she uses or has used to get this permission?

Depends on island many don,t have rules and many just state stay away from ports and airports,Barbados is the only one that I have come upon in my 16 island trips with any issues .I did fly from the catamaran day trip we took there and had no issues . Big thing is fly smart and enjoy, as long as your not near airport or buzzing the crowd.You will not have issues most places and if security approaches show them the screen and answer there questions 99% they are just curious and will enjoy watching you fly.
2017-5-29
Use props
fivetonine
Second Officer
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

skyhighdiver Posted at 2017-5-29 08:51
Had no issues on NCL the reason we chose them used in St Thomas ,St Martian ,Jamaica ,Nassau ( pre approval in Nassau) https://youtu.be/RdSqUkJmV3s

That's great news. Those regulations don't make sense anyway, and better to choose a line that actually has a meaningful rule basis.
2017-5-30
Use props
fansde0a3538
New
United States

I'm on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in September and would love to take my Mavic Pro.  I'm concerned about what happens when it goes through the x-ray at the port in Florida and then each time back on to the ship at the ports of call.  I would imagine if you take the blades off and it's folded up and carried inside a camera bag with other camera equipment, it probably won't raise any suspicions.

2017-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules